Is reliable, unlimited access available for under $100 a month?

Wasn't it a limited offer to begin with that they extended when they saw so many were interested?  And they offered a 2-year plan, so at least for that length of time they plan to have people using it.    Get people familiar with your service and then move them into something more.   As fast as things change in this industry it would seem to be a good move to get people to think of your company as one to go to for technology upgrades as they come along.   Verizon's first attempt to market to RVers with FMCA fell because they hadn't done either initial planning to make sure it was only to CURRENT members with RVers that could be verified.  They learned from that mistake and worked out the details with FMCA.   Again, they have identified an niche market the they want to cultivate.  Certainly helped to make sure we kept our cell phones with them.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes...  From the Technomadia folks:

In the past few weeks AT&T has dropped both those requirements - and now AT&T has a promotional offer going until July 17th* for a "Connected Car Unlimited Data Plan (standalone)" that does not require DirecTV or any other AT&T plan at all to activate a Mobley.

The standalone plan initially launched at $40/mo - and now AT&T has dropped it to match the Chevy pricing.

Yep - just $20/mo, for all-you-can eat AT&T! (plus taxes & fees, which vary by location.)

But there are still some catches and complications....

• July 17 Update: This date has come and gone, and so far - the plan is still avialable if you can find a device in stock!
  • Mid-September Update: We have gotten several reports that AT&T reps are telling folks that plan expired sometime in mid-September (we've heard everything from Sept 18 - 23).
  • Late 2017 Update: While activation still sporadically occurred after the September retirements on the Mobley, by mid-December it seems no longer possible.

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/att-unleashes-affordable-unlimited-data-for-connected-cars-chevy-onstar-or-zte-mobley/

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

I used to have Millenicom when it was a good deal, until Verizon decided it was too good.  Deals too good to be true will have short lives.

Rationalize AT&T and the Mobley all you want.  The $20 GM LTE plan is still here.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

According to Verizon, Millenicom violated their MVNO contract. GM subsidizes the OnStar plan, so of course AT&T is happy to continue offering it. And I'm not rationalizing anything, AT&T offered the plan with a specific TOS and I find nothing in it that I'm violating with my usage, and apparently neither does AT&T. AT&T also recently dropped their Unlimited Plus and Unlimited Choice plans, do you think they did it because RV'ers misused those plans as well? Plans come and go all the time...

Dutch

44 minutes ago, Dutch_12078 said:

Plans come and go all the time...

This is the crux of the problem that RVers face - - the need to keep up with the different offerings and weigh when is the right time to change plans/equipment and when it is best to wait to see what 'matches' will come from other carriers.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Now Now People :)

The OP was.

Is reliable, unlimited access available for under $100 a month?

They are asking present time not what was available in the past.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

The question isn't defined enough.  If just for viewing the Internet and videos. probably.  If for a PC's access to the Internet, not a chance.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

A T-Mobile phone with all the service upgrades is $95/month, can be used as a hotspot and has a 50GB limit before network prioritization kicks in.  T-Mobile does not have the coverage of Verizon or AT&T but is building out and is working in more places than it used to.  The phone should support band 71 (600MHZ) for maximum coverage, which only a handful of phones do and they are all Android.  Up till now they were all flagship models, like the LG V30 and Samsung S9/9+ and S8 Active.  Now you can get an LG K30 for $225 that supports band 71.  

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

14 hours ago, eddie1261 said:

It's the park that says no streaming. Not the plan/carrier.

Neither suddenlink campground had streaming policies.

In fact, of the 49 campgrounds we stayed at last year, not one had a streaming policy. Also, given the seeming lack of technical knowledge at most of these 49 parks, I'd hazard a guess that the majority of the campgrounds don't even know what "streaming" is.

On the other hand, only 16 of the 49 had reliable WiFi -- so most were actually self limiting.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

2 hours ago, Zulu said:

Also, given the seeming lack of technical knowledge at most of these 49 parks, I'd hazard a guess that the majority of the campgrounds don't even know what "streaming" is.

It DOES take some hardware and knowing how to interpret data flow to be able to deduce who has 11 devices connected.... I could do it but I was an IT guy for a lot of my working life.

If we take the OP's question at face value with no other qualifications, then the answer is "Yes", and even a lot cheaper than asked. How about unlimited Internet for $5/month? I have a Verizon 6620L Jetpack flashed for 3G only that's been working fine as a backup service for about 3 years so far at that price.

Verizon $5/mo unlimited 3G

Dutch

On 5/6/2018 at 4:13 PM, Barbaraok said:

Since we travel, we have 2 choices, Verizon or ATT.

For us, it's Verizon and soon-to-be HughesNET Gen 5 satellite Internet.

I never switched my Verizon data plan to the new "unlimited" plan. I kept my 2016 "New Verizon Plan" so I can change my data allowance from 2 to 100 GB (that's $35/month to $450/month). With the HughesNET Gen 5 sat dish, I'll probably start with a 24 GB plan for $110/month.

With HughesNET Gen 5, I'll probably start with a 50 GB plan for $120/month.

So that's $230 for about 75 GB/month. When we're on the road, we use about 50 GB/month. When we're connected to a cable broadband system, it becomes 200 - 300 GB per month.

What's great about the Verizon/HughesNET duo is that I can adjust either data plan (Verizon or HughesNET) up or down on a monthly basis depending on my needs.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

I clicked on it and the cable and WiFi is free and it is a nice price for the location and amenities. They are building a new clubhouse too. Good lead for folks wanting to get down there. It is also close to some nice areas in South Louisiana for Cajun cooking.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

JFYI.  The Technomadia person was spot on about the Verizon 25 GB deal.  I tested it two different months to determine the speed after I hit 25 GB.  It practically stopped,  dropped from 25 Mbps to 150-200 Kbps almost immediately.   There is no deprioritization, its a hard throttle.  I can still use it with Dropbox to download shows, but surfing the web after the throttle is worse than being back in 1995 with a 144 modem.    And back then most websites used tiny graphic files.   That's not true anymore. 

My Mobley has never gotten throttled no matter where we are camping.    

2006 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40QDP
Freightliner XCR, 400 hp Cummins
Toad 2014 Chevy Equinox (DWM)
Blog: http://cowlesmountain.com/Travels/

S&B San Diego

On 5/8/2018 at 4:49 PM, Dutch_12078 said:

If we take the OP's question at face value with no other qualifications, then the answer is "Yes", and even a lot cheaper than asked. How about unlimited Internet for $5/month? I have a Verizon 6620L Jetpack flashed for 3G only that's been working fine as a backup service for about 3 years so far at that price.

Verizon $5/mo unlimited 3G

How is the 3G for web surfing, emails, social media?

How about for streaming?

On 5/7/2018 at 2:22 PM, richardbetsey said:

Note that with Verizon the 15GB limit befoer slowdown is per phone. If you have 12 phones and use the 15GB up on one the other still has 15GB.

On 5/7/2018 at 3:39 PM, Mark and Dale Bruss said:

Yes per phone but 15 GB total for the plan for a non-phone device (modem, MiFi).

Sorry, but the original poster was correct that on Verizon, the 15gb hotspot limit is per line, not per plan. I have 3 lines (2 phones, 1 hotspot). Each of them has their own 15gb per line hotspot cap before that line gets throttled and i can easily see this on my Verizon page on where each line is that month. Same for the 22gb network management for on device usage like the phone. If one phone goes over 22gb, only that line subject to network management, not all the lines on the plan. 

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

2 hours ago, remoandiris said:

How is the 3G for web surfing, emails, social media?

How about for streaming?

I had this plan before I left on the read. Where I lived I seemed to get about 1.5mbs, maybe 2mbs at best. This is certainly better than the 600kb/s that Verizon throttles you to when you go over your 15gb hot spot. So on the 3g, it's doable to do decent internet stuff, although it won't be fast. Streaming depends, netflix is really good with low bandwidth. Keep in mind though that these hotspots can only see 3G signals and in places where that is being phased out, you may not have any signal. They don't see LTE bands.

The other part I got tire of was trying to keep up with it each month. It was a game i got tired playing.  

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

2 minutes ago, BlueLghtning said:

The other part I got tire of was trying to keep up with it each month. It was a game i got tired playing.  

What do you mean?  Don't you just have to buy another $5 card for the month?

If you mean "flashing" it every month, there are a few on eBay that say they don't need flashed again.

Archived