Volvos for sale

rbertalotto

Stopped overnight at a Flying J and picked up a Trucks For Sale magazine......Thought this might interest some of you HDT folkks... 60 Volvos for sale with 60month / 5 year warrantee.....

https://images41.fotki.com/v1661/photos/2/36012/8599305/IMG_20180208_073013909-th.jpg

IMG_20180208_073013909-th.jpg

RoyB

South of Boston

2021 Dodge 2500 - 6.4L

Forest River 19RR Toy Hauler

Roofnest Falcon Rooftop Tent

www.rvbprecision.com

It simply means there is a remaining warranty on some of them. GATR is a class outfit, but no dealer would put a Gold warranty on a truck with those miles (and they could not, anyway). It is a remaining warranty. Which is good.....I'm not saying it isn't. 

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

47 minutes ago, rpsinc said:

Thanks Jack.  What is preferrable rear ratio for HDT usage?

That is an open-ended question. If you search here you will find some opinions. 

• First, you have to determine your desired cruise speed. 
  • Next, you have to determine your transmission gearing and if it is OD or direct drive.
  • Torque factors in as well in automated trans....
  • Then what rpm is acceptable.
  • Then you can worry about if the rear ratio on any particular used truck will work.

I can give you some examples of Volvo IShift ratios. 

Volvo 780 D13 XE 1750 torque I shift OD, 2.67 ratio, 68 mph cruise, 1150 rpm, 12th gear  With that setup it will hold 12th in almost all hills in the midwest on the interstate. It occasionally will shift down to 11.

Volvo 730 1750 torque  3.55 rear I Shift OD. Cruises 63mph in 12th at 1500 rpm. This truck is set up for mountain work. It pulls almost any mountain hill in 12th. Rarely downshifts even on steep grades at interstate cruise. But it is a burden to drive outside the mountains....noise and fuel economy suffer.

You can see the difference. 
A direct drive might have a 2.40 or less ratio to get a decent 65mph cruise rpm. 
These are just examples. There is a LOT of variance based on the many factors. There are simulators that will tell you what cruise speed is varying the factors. If looking for a used truck you can make some guesses based on experience, but the best thing is to simply drive the truck. You do have to pay attention to this. We had a customer buy their own truck and they missed the fact the IShift was direct drive. They did not drive it because they were not properly licensed.  They were disappointed in the cruise RPM....about 1450 at 65mph. Too high in my eyes.

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

On February 11, 2018 at 1:06 PM, Jack Mayer said:

We had a customer buy their own truck and they missed the fact the IShift was direct drive.

Hi Jack, can you explain further please?  I think this is the first time I've read any reference to direct drive.  My Volvo 730 has a D13 with iShift.  I think this means it is a gear drive but auto clutch or something like that.  It has 2 pedals.  It's not an automatic like a car.  Going over to the guide now.  🤔🤔🤔

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

Until Jack arrives.......  Direct drive refers to the ratio of the highest gear in the tranny.  Direct means it's 1/1, straight thru, no reduction or overdrive.  This can make a difference, depending on your axle ratio.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

14 hours ago, Sculptor said:

Ohhh I think I understand.  Thanks Rick.

Yup....it makes a big difference in the final cruise rpm at any speed.

www.jackdanmayer.com

19 hours ago, Sculptor said:

Hi Jack, can you explain further please?  I think this is the first time I've read any reference to direct drive.  My Volvo 730 has a D13 with iShift.  I think this means it is a gear drive but auto clutch or something like that.  It has 2 pedals.  It's not an automatic like a car.  Going over to the guide now.  🤔🤔🤔

Look at your door sticker. If it says ATO12... You have overdrive. If it is AT12... it is a direct drive transmission.

15 minutes ago, noteven said:

That direct trans has nice low reverse ratio. 

The higher 1st ratio probly makes no issue with rv weights...

As installed in the truck, the differences in the reverse and first gear ratios will be irrelevant.  The direct drive will be coupled to a much taller (numerically lower) gear in the rear axle, which will make the final drive ratios at every step almost identical to the OD trans coupled to a numerically higher ratio axle.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

Archived