• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Schake

Schake

• Validated Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 01:48 PM

Hello -

As a soon-to-be first-time RV newbie who anticipates full-timing in a diesel pusher with tag axle, (while setting a record for hyphenated words in one sentence) I am curious about your experiences and recommendations for an all-wheel or 4-wheel drive dinghy.

I have always placed highest priority on safety, reliability, and fuel economy in my vehicles, and would like to know not only which vehicles you've had good experiences off-road with, but what your experiences with regard to those priorities have been.

Many thanks for your input.

Ken S

RV Wannabe

Maryland

#2 rpsinc

rpsinc

• Validated Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 07:02 PM

See the newly published Trailer Life supplement on that very subject.  It also includes tow vehicles, pickup, etc.  You can go to their website to view past years and then search for a vehicle that interests you.  Then search for a good deal on one that suits your taste and requirements.

Enjoy the journey!!

Marcel

#3 2gypsies

2gypsies

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 08:23 PM

For off-road fun you can't beat a Jeep. The new Jeep Cherokee is a classy looking car with lots of room for passengers and gear. It's not to be confused with the Jeep Grand Cherokee. We had a Jeep Liberty for 8 of our full-timing years and had a great time on the trails and we met up with wonderful folks along the way. Put Moab and Silverton, CO on your list of places to go! Jeeps tow easily.

Full-timed for 16 Years
. . . Back in S&B Again

Traveled 8 yr in a 2004  Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome

and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

#4 Barbaraok

Barbaraok

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 8,885 posts
  • SKP#:90761

Posted 12 December 2016 - 11:14 PM

We love our Subaru Forester - but it is a manual transmission and we have discovered that few people can drive manual transmissions anymore.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2004 Subaru Forester toad (Mischief)
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

#5 Kirk

Kirk

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 27,620 posts
  • SKP#:60541

Posted 13 December 2016 - 08:26 AM

Welcome to the Escapee forums!

The best choice depends upon several things that we don't know. How serious are you about off road? Is a manual transmission OK? New or used vehicles? Are you willing to accept less comfort on the highways in order to have more off-road capabilities? If I were really serious about it, my choice would be the Jeep Wrangler, but since I want comfort on paved roads where we spend most of our time, I'll never own one. In used the all wheel drive CR-V was our choice but those are not tow-able on their wheels since 2014 and I wouldn't choose that to do the rock crawling things we once did.  

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure
dolphins.jpg

#6 Biker56

Biker56

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 5,188 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 08:47 AM

4-wheel drive and fuel economy isn't usually said in the same sentence. :)

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

#7 2gypsies

2gypsies

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 10:31 AM

Jeeps with automatic transmission can be towed 4-down with no problem.

Full-timed for 16 Years
. . . Back in S&B Again

Traveled 8 yr in a 2004  Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome

and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

#8 Pat & Pete

Pat & Pete

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 04:06 PM

Jeeps with automatic transmission can be towed 4-down with no problem.

I'm not so sure that^ is totally correct . I do know that all Jeeps with Selec Trac or the like , which offers N in the transfer case , are tow-able 4 down .

Goes around , comes around .

#9 Dutch_12078

Dutch_12078

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2,936 posts
  • SKP#:103135

Posted 13 December 2016 - 04:34 PM

One site that makes it easy to check on vehicle 4-down "towability" is RemcoTowing.com. Their lookup system will tell you if a selected vehicle is 4-down towable as-is, not at all, or with an add-on electric transmission pump. When we first wanted to tow 4-down, we already owned a Toyota RAV4 that we really liked and it was paid for. Adding the needed Remco pump to make it towable made economic sense for us at the time, since it was cheaper than trading in the car for another that we might not like as well. When it was time to replace the car, we chose a new RAV4 and everything from the old one was transferred to the new one except the base plate. The bottom line is that it is possible to expand the available choices well beyond those listed in the RV publications, albeit it does add an extra expense to the setup cost.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

#10 Schake

Schake

• Validated Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 12:04 AM

Since that original post, wife and I have been drawn to the Wrangler Sahara as the best fit. If we find a good deal on a used one, we'd go that route. However, the asking prices on used Wranglers seem too high to make them a good option.

Never did off-roading, but don't envision us doing "hardcore" trails. More about being able to take back-country and forest fire roads without getting stranded. Maybe join off-road Meetups once we get more familiar with our vehicle.

Ken
Fulltime Wannabe

#11 Chad Heiser

Chad Heiser

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 12:48 AM

I love my wrangler, but it took me a while to find just the right one.  They are out there though.  They are very capable off road vehicles, even completely stock.  They are not the most fuel efficient vehicle though.  I have a Rubicon 2dr and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods at Rolling Retreats getting some additional items installed

2015 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon