HDT Members On The Road, Including Their Current Locations

Jim Gehlen

Margie, Calvin and I are back from a run from St. Louis, Toledo, Dearborn, MI, Frankenmuth, MI, Mackinac Island, Green Bay, Milwaukee (Harley Museum), Oskash, Madison, retirning to Muskogee.

We traveled over 3,600 miles in 6 weeks, nice and easy.

Here in Muskogee we are in Meadowbrook CC about 1 mile from downtown, not fancy, but at $240.00/mo with full hook-ups, including 50 amps.

Will be here till 9-23 when we fly to Frisco to board a hip for a 30 cruise thru out the S. Pacific landing in Sydney, then 30 days in Australia, doing as much as possible, including diving the Great Barrier Reef.

Getting paid to train chef as we play onboard a cruise, what a life.............

GREAT COOKIN'

Margie, The Chef & Calvin (Dalmatian)

you eat to live, WE LIVE TO EAT

2000 Volvo 770 "NO FireDog"

2006 Hitchiker Champagne 38 LK

2003 Heritage Softail Classic "Brutus"

2007 Yahama 400cc "Hi-Ho"

SKP#97959

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/23543...033436899TkRHUX

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are through camp hosting for the year. ack at the Navy base on Whidby Island for a week before we head east & South

Scott, Barb, & Tinkerbell

Scott if your come thru Idaho stop by we are at Twin Falls (Anderson Camp) untill Sept 26.

Edited by Bob Speckman

Bob

Country Coach Intrigue Motorhome
Harley Heritage Softail
Jeep TJ
Travel Supreme 34FKTSO 5th Wheel

• 4 weeks later...

The summer job has finally come to a end and we are heading back to MN/WI today. Plan on Big Sky, MT tonight, somewhere around Bismark ND tomorrow night, and Stone Lake WI Thursday.

Thanks to all that stopped by and visited with us this summer in Idaho. A special THANKS to forum member Run2 for the heads up on this great summer job.

Its great to be on the move again and hope to see you down the road.

Edited by Bob Speckman

Bob

Country Coach Intrigue Motorhome
Harley Heritage Softail
Jeep TJ
Travel Supreme 34FKTSO 5th Wheel

First post here - just spent the last week reading everything. My wife and I and our two kids are in Disney's Fort Wilderness campground for about a week, in a rental class C. We're on the hunt for a new-to-us fifth wheel, and are SO RELIEVED to have found so many people who've been successful using a HDT as a tow vehicle. It just seems like the right way to go for our family. From the 8th to about the 17th, we'll be in Mesa, AZ, where we presume there will be lots of FW and HDT inventory to look at.

If any of you are also in Disney at the moment, or nearby, or will be in Mesa from the 8th - 17th, we'd love to walk/drive over and say hi. Naturally, we'll be curious about how its worked out for you, and so on.

For background, we spent 4 1/2 months in our Newmar Mountain Aire diesel pusher in 2006, before moving to Honolulu. There don't seem to be any motorhomes in Hawaii at all (although there are other compensations). But we've continued to motorhome in rental units here on the mainland, and also in New Zealand (totally different from here, but still great).

Brands that have caught our eye for the FW are: Entegra Alante (nee TravelSupreme), DRV (nee Doubletree), Teton, and so on. All are heavy enough to warrant a serious tow machine, although we've seen all being pulled by F-350s (can that really be made safe?).

Neither of us have every driven a HDT, but the moment we came across this forum and learned about all of you, we were very relieved. We'll get the space we need going down the road (we home-school our kids, so having the sleeper to convert into a dinette makes sense to us), plus when we get to our favored touring grounds (the SW, Rockies, and Western Canada), we'll have plenty of stopping and going power. At least, that's the theory.

While we're sure to make plenty of mistakes of our own, it's been a pleasure to learn from all of your experiences, both good and bad. Thanks very much collectively for the info.

Dan Freedman, Cecilia, and 2 kids in tow.

Dan Freedman, Honolulu developer.gif

Used to own a 2005 Volvo VNL-780/ISX/Ultrashift, singled, ET Hitch, Jackalopee (1, 2, 3)

Still own a 2002 Teton Laramie Experience fifth wheel

VE6DFM/M

Pulled into the Fairgrounds in Hutchinson KS today for the HDT Rally, and it was good to see friends we met 1 yr ago. A lot has happened since last year and the good news is that we won't be staying at the local hotel this year. Still a lot to learn, and this is the place.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it was another great Rally and now we are back around our old stomping grounds in the Dallas area. Will be here for about 7 more days and then on down to Bentsen Palm Village, in RGV, as we receive volunteers to work on some of the projects at the orphanages across the border.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

We are in Junction City, KS at Horizons. Got the factory tour today. Specing out a new rig....Pretty nice...just have to be able to afford it!!

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

We are back on our site down here in HOT-HUMID Retama Village, Mission, TX. Its way to early to be here, but its either freeze to death or this,,,,I'll take this.... :rolleyes:

Dale Bruss said it was 70 deg in Waco, TX where they were yesterday,,,,,thats my kind of day time temps.....

Mike

Mike & Pat McFall SKP # 40224

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift

2005 Teton 45' Grand Reliance

PressurePro Tire Monitor Dealer

PressurePro System

Mike and Pat's Travels

Tripod Website

Leaving Horizons (Junction City, KS) this morning and headed to Lynchburg VA area for a few weeks. Should take a week to get there. We enjoyed our free week of "camping" here.

Edited by Jack Mayer

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

After 6 months and 6 days at the Rapid City KOA we will be leaving here Monday AM for the south. Plan on stops in Sydney, NE, Oakley and Wichita, Kansas and then to Gainsville and Fredericksburg, TX for the winter. As we are the only ones here at the time, it is getting lonesome and boring. Beautiful day today in the high 70's but tomorrow, Monday, is forecast for a high of 54 so it is time to leave.

Have 12 days to get to TX so we are not in a big hurry.

Glad to see Larry's first rally was a success and depending on circumstances, we may make the 2010 Rally.

Need to stop in Wichita to have the truck serviced at Doonan's. Been a year so its time.

Paint your wagon and come along

98 Volvo, VNL 610

01 Alfa Ideal, 38'6"

South Dakota plates

SKP # 68396

Finally got to Big Stone Gap, Va to visit relatives for a week. Beautiful weather & scenery, trees are starting to turn.

Ah, the adventures of traveling: missed a turn in St Louis Sunday (sure can spend a lot of fuel going around the city to try to get back on track), bought two new tires on Monday (not planned and no damage - just bolts in the tires!) that caused us to be late so we attempted to land at "Bean Pot Campground" at Crossville, Tn at night in a space guaranteed to be big enough for us - it wasn't-avoid at all costs-what a dump. Managed to find a spot in beautiful Deer Run RV Resort in Crossville-great place & folks-we are going back on our way home. Tue came & we miss counted traffic signals and wound up blocking 2 lanes of traffic at a 13' 2" underpass-top of the stacks is 13' 3". Locals were very friendly and helpful as they stopped traffic while I backed up and drove on the wrong side of the road where the clearance was taller.

Wed is here and I can hardly wait to see what adventure is in store for us today.

Having fun is hard work!

Mike & Jo Ann
2006 40 ft Teton Royal Cheyenne, Honda EU6500is,, Semper Fi, WUØG

We are SE of Lynchburg, VA for 3-4 weeks - then head south to AL.

www.jackdanmayer.com

Back at my winter ranch outside Deming, NM. Working on some upgrades to my Volvo 610, including a rampage lift, a new Sears Elite seat, back up cameras, replacing the wooden deck with steel, and a few electrical improvements.

Jim

Jim

Pulled into Wichita this afternoon and parked at Blasi to get some work done on the truck at Doonan's.

Left Oakley, KS this AM with snow flurries hitting the back of the trailer and rain all the way to Salina.

Global warming????

98 Volvo, VNL 610

01 Alfa Ideal, 38'6"

South Dakota plates

SKP # 68396

We are on our way to Texas. Staying at Candy Hill RV park in Winchester VA. tonight. Left the maritimes yesterday. Will start doing "Jack" days tomorrow and take our time for the rest of the trip.

Mike

2000 W900L KW
Singled, C15 CAT 475 HP 18 sp, 3:36 rear, power locker,ET Hitch,,22.5 rubber

2011 Excel 36CFE Limited

photo2_zpse35f7a55.jpg

Limped into Fredericksburg, TX about 2PM today, What with a busted bedroom slide mechanism on the trailer, a bum left leg acquired while manually pushing the slide in while standing on a picnic table, This was not a good trip.

Truck was fine and wanted to get here where it is a little warmer then the north.

98 Volvo, VNL 610

01 Alfa Ideal, 38'6"

South Dakota plates

SKP # 68396

Sorry to hear that Jim, my idea may be of no use to you, but will share an idea. Last summer we were leaving a park and our kitchen slide would not move. A kind soul saw the dilemma and brought a 9/16 10 point socket, we exposed the cover and racheted in the slide. WE cranked it in and out until we could get new gears, about $16.00 per slide from the RV mfgr's supplier.

Best wishes

dan

Dorcas & Dan
Retired in North Metro Denver

Ive got the slide motor and ram halfway tore apart as of now. Just have to open the box and see what is broke. Getting it in and out right now is not a problem. Finding parts may be interesting.

98 Volvo, VNL 610

01 Alfa Ideal, 38'6"

South Dakota plates

SKP # 68396

In my case it was the gears. If yours is like mine was it is easy when you get to the box. My gears were made of composite material. Te replacement was cheap but made of steel and should live a lifetime.

We'll be in The Woodlands by afternoon. Stay warm AND dry.

Every good wish

dan

Dorcas & Dan
Retired in North Metro Denver

The best laid plans of mice and men.....sometimes go to s___t

Illness hit me while in VA and it took almost a week to recover...pretty sure it was pump problems (the one that circulates my blood)

So..we decided to turn around and head back home.

I feel great now, but then the truck decided to have an ABS valve issue last night right at the fuel pumps. Called in the mechanic...simple fix...but can't get the part til Monday. So here we sit at a truck stop on I84 until tomorrow.

Just another adventure.....things could have turned out alot worse in alot of ways.

Been a heck of a week.

Mike

2000 W900L KW
Singled, C15 CAT 475 HP 18 sp, 3:36 rear, power locker,ET Hitch,,22.5 rubber

2011 Excel 36CFE Limited

photo2_zpse35f7a55.jpg