OT: External Home Generators

SuiteSuccess

Those tractors are made like our trucks. They can run and run and run. Just check the fluids twice a day. 

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

16 hours ago, Larry Burkett said:

Our generator is a Generac 14 kw whole house generator, and is plumbed directly into the gas line that comes to the house from the street. 

Last February a Tornado struck Norman, OK where my youngest lived. In fact the photo/video shown the most on TV channels and the internet was taken from her back yard at the time. 

The house she lived in was just off the direct path of the storm and had significant damage, but they were able to move back in in  a couple days. I assumed the electric power would have been turned off, but was surprised to find out the "Natural" gas had also been turned because the gas meters from the totally destroyed homes were pulled loose from their connections.

Having a backup generator without a back up fuel supply may not be working in case of a similar situation. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

It's not just tornados or earthquakes that can interrupt natural gas service.  When I moved up to WA my new bride told me when they lose electricity in the winter they shelter in place using blankets to block off the room with the gas fireplace and cook on the outdoor gas grill.  The year before I got there they got a major snowstorm which cut the electricity for about a week.  The town's natural gas storage tank ran out the third day stopping the flow through the gas lines.

6 hours ago, Lou Schneider said:

It's not just tornados or earthquakes that can interrupt natural gas service.  When I moved up to WA my new bride told me when they lose electricity in the winter they shelter in place using blankets to block off the room with the gas fireplace and cook on the outdoor gas grill.  The year before I got there they got a major snowstorm which cut the electricity for about a week.  The town's natural gas storage tank ran out the third day stopping the flow through the gas lines.

Never been to the NW for any length of time. I'll have to remember that if I go during the winter some day. Make sure I have additional propane for sure. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2007 Honda GL 1800

Another thing to remember about a natural gas fuel supply. When the electrical grid demands are greater than the primary supply, most utility companies use combined cycle gas turbine for backup power due to their easy, fast startup and shutdown capabilities.

They do consume huge amounts of natural gas however and have priority over home supply lines for obvious reasons. I would lean towards a self supply of any fuel required for a generator by using LP or diesel in a tank combined with generator sized for your needs.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

Just now, GeorgiaHybrid said:

Another thing to remember about a natural gas fuel supply. When the electrical grid demands are greater than the primary supply, most utility companies use combined cycle gas turbine for backup power due to their easy, fast startup and shutdown capabilities.

They do consume huge amounts of natural gas however and have priority over home supply lines for obvious reasons. I would lean towards a self supply of any fuel required for a generator by using LP or diesel in a tank combined with generator sized for your needs.

Good point David, actually never thought about the Electrical Utility's using Natural gas. I knew they did, but "assumed" they somehow had an unlimited supply. Lot's of things can interrupt the supply of Natural gas that I didn't even think about. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

1 hour ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

I would lean towards a self supply of any fuel required for a generator by using LP or diesel in a tank combined with generator sized for your needs.

So, using a utility tractor to run a pto genny makes even more sense, when you have a truck full of diesel as spare fuel.

We have a Honda 3500w and Yamaha 3000w inverter gennies.  I can keep us comfortable with those, but it would be with some concessions.  Eventually, fuel would be the issue.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

5 hours ago, palmeris said:

OP states a 1000 gallon underground propane tank is already available as a standalone fuel source.

Nope.  He stated that he has it, not that it's stand alone.  I believe he has a propane furnace, and perhaps other appliances too.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2024 at 4:53 PM, SuiteSuccess said:

Thanks for the input. Nigel, I have watched that video on wiring the furnace and it’s definitely worth considering. I have a 3500 kw gas powered generator for emergency and I store about 20 gallons of gas during the winter for “just in case”.  If not used, it’s rotated into my cars. As for the propane, my tank is buried so heating it is not really an issue. The essential items I would like to run would be the fridge, the HVAC furnace, and some lights. I’m thinking a 22.5 kw unit might suffice. BTW truck and trailer at a storage facility so no help for solving power needs. 

I live off grid and run, almost, everything on solar, I do use the generator for the welder and I will use one of the small generators for saws and stuff in the winter. I have a 10k propane generator I would have to look but I think is a generic or onan. It's 10 or so years old it probably runs 10 hours a week in January but that is so weather dependent, it needs to be cloudy 2 days to need it. 

My house,  2 storys 28x28, runs very well on 6000watts of inverter power. I have 220 deep well pump, microwave,  4 big TVs, Starlink, 3 refrigerators and an tiny house for my parents. I can easily run the house with my 6000 or 6500 Yamaha and still charge my batteries backup. 

My old house in Vermont,  were in Arizona now, was 5500 square feet with 10 adults living there, I had a 6 braker generator isolator panel, I higly recomed using one it's much easier than  words, I did that for years. I ran all the neaded stuff with the Yamaha. 

So I find it doubtful that you need a bigger one than I have unless your heat requires it. As to propane v gas unless you are willing to refresh your stored gas every 2 months propane is a lot easier. Mine has taken to starting very hard but it always started easy until recently. The one problem I do have, and it would be the same for any standby generator I think, is keeping the battery charged, as it has a 110 charger and I try not to use it, I have a solar panel on it and I have been very suprised how much the elctronics draw.

Carl, we had a generator installed 3 years ago and have been glad to have it. My recommendation is go with who ever can come service it and have a backup tech. I put in a Champion 14.4 k and it works fine for us. They also come with load shedding equipment. I just ran my usage #s and went from there. 

On a different topic would you be kind enough to share the info on your air line checking tool? Are any of the less expensive ones any good, etc.

Thanks

John Bagley

Edited by bags

John and Michal Bagley 1999 Volvo 610 the 'Millennium Falcon', 400 hp ISM, Autoshift Gen 2, single axel w/steel bed, Pressure Pro, VMSPC, Trailer Saver Air Hitch, 3 bags, 38 foot Royals International, and our 3 dogs.

18 hours ago, bags said:

Carl, we had a generator installed 3 years ago and have been glad to have it. My recommendation is go with who ever can come service it and have a backup tech. I put in a Champion 14.4 k and it works fine for us. They also come with load shedding equipment. I just ran my usage #s and went from there. 

On a different topic would you be kind enough to share the info on your air line checking tool? Are any of the less expensive ones any good, etc.

Thanks

John Bagley

John,

This is what I bought and it works great.  Just read the instructions carefully.

https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Detector-Portable-Combustible-Explosive/dp/B07FSVCSSL/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.6QAb4ioobtDezIhpQ4LFT0PXa5lCL7WysfS4wqlU1JO121OdR5Vv2CvQfxDM9MNJaM6xrQJuCJyEKo_wmFFLD3tTwUNKT8JF4tEela7Rm5byaf2_3OKFNYCtmYEOWF4Qi8qwOGWGM1Q_eQzsFmird9Dj0VEPlHG1Efhd4exxGqwtaqlc5qTsUEM8d_uC91ZUJbQeuEZxQNNN_JVpFUhuvzRnRVkMfnA0hr4eaAmII9A_2AuudgnH5G34d6yr2Zvo1kANZcM0m-DOkcWJkxSkTLY94kNfKI60zeV90hpociw.wUo3kbmINucJAVDmMMNIEU-5SxiG0gIkVGNM-2-SCdw&dib_tag=se&hvadid=616931139346&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9013361&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=13045725028721749059&hvtargid=kwd-30334783&hydadcr=24633_13611805&keywords=propane%2Bleak%2Bdetector&qid=1708435766&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&th=1

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

18 hours ago, bags said:

Thanks

John Bagley

If you’re talking about my truck airline tool it is the Inficon Whisper.  It’s pricey but works well.  I have never tried anything cheaper.

https://www.inficon.com/en/products/leak-detectors/whisper

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

thanks Carl.

jb

John and Michal Bagley 1999 Volvo 610 the 'Millennium Falcon', 400 hp ISM, Autoshift Gen 2, single axel w/steel bed, Pressure Pro, VMSPC, Trailer Saver Air Hitch, 3 bags, 38 foot Royals International, and our 3 dogs.

It's fascinating how the durability of those tractors mirrors the resilience of our trucks. The routine fluid checks definitely keep them running smoothly. On another note, if you're thinking about incorporating more sustainable practices, exploring solar Dublin might be a great avenue. It not only aligns with eco-friendly choices but also contributes to a cleaner energy footprint.

Edited by AinsleyBest