Keeping the fires burning

3:43 am in Kalispell Montana.

temperature with windchill?     -36

Staying warm, but 6 minutes outside doing things, gets old really quick.

Last winter we were is the mountains of South Carolina, one morning with windchill at -25.  So not much different. Enjoy being in the warmth.  If you can find some.

I believe propane will not vaporize about -40.

I have two 40 lb bottles on the main furnace. I installed one last night that was from inside a heated shop. I also wrapped it with foam insulation when I hooked it up before dark last night. It has operated all night. Without having trouble with vapor volume.

I also have a Aquahot system in the 43’ Teton fifthwheel. It burns diesel. It hears mostly under the rv floor and the bedroom.

The temperature outside now is -42 with windchill.

I do have the underbelly seal with 1 1/2” styrofoam.

I do have a furnace for under the rv in the enclosed area. 

Have to take a break.  Minor problem?

Today

AM Clouds/PM Sun
-14°/-29°
Wind: N 14 mph

Fri 12 | Day

Fri 12 | Day

-14°

Fri 12 | Night
-29°

Cloudy skies early, followed by partial clearing. High -14F. Winds N at 10 to 20 mph.

10 Day Weather-Kalispell, MT

windchill21.gif

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We are doing good.

So I am having first hand experience with propane bottle being toooo cold to vaporize the liquid in it. The underbelly furnace has  just one 20 lb bottle hooked to it.

I believe it runs out of vapor in about 5 minutes. Then loses ignition. Then shuts off. Tries to ignite, and lights up for say 45 seconds. Then repeats again and then again. Shut off for 5 minutes. It repeats itself every time I turn it on.

I have a propane bottle in a warm shop. Will replace that tank when I can see outside. In about a hour or so.

I hope I remember to test then bottle temperature before I disconnect it.

Stay warm wherever you are. Or have a escape plan?

Better to do both.

Kirk,

I might need to correct you? When I first open the door and check.

The windchill effect has to be calculated into the temperature. Yesterday it blew snow so there is either bare grass or drifts. I had to do some bare handed stuff yesterday. 4.3 minutes.

I went back and added the windchill chart from the link to my post, for those not familiar with the effect. Having lived in Cheyenne, WY for 18 years, I'm quite familiar with it but others may not be. The chart does agree with your original post. I was pointing out that your expected high temperature for the day is -14° and the expected low is -29°! Add a 10 mph wind to the low and you get a -58°.

Your weather makes us glad to be in TX but it still feels cold to us after living here so long. 

Why not put the propane bottle for the lower furnace into the space that is protected? When we were in Maine at an NWR they had the heating oil tank and the 250 gallon propane tank both inside of a heated space with temperature set to 50°.

My two 40 lb tanks will have a heat tape on them tonight. Calling for colder temperatures tonight.

The Aquahot is hooked to a heated 55 gallon tank. It has a heat tape around the tank.

The tank that is a problem is covered with heavy pile of clothing. And blocked from the wind. It has been hooked up for two days in the cold. Is it empty, or close to it.   I have a deer that I feed outside during the night. I do not want to meet it in the dark. So when I can see , I will change the tank. And report it temperature?

Edited by Wrknrvr

Just put a warm 20 lb bottle on the underbelly furnace. It may still have a gas flow problem.  I think it could be the regulator being coldddd.

Next trip out I will try to figure out how to heat it. Or hopefully the warm propane may correct the problem.

I think I am going to swop out cold tanks for warm tanks today. I need to get one small and one large one filled today.

Will keep informed 

3 hours ago, durangodon said:

6:30 am Lumberton TX

Temperature 68F

Power's out from Norther which passed through here a couple of hours ago.  No problem, generator kicked in as designed.

Stay cool, if you can.

Don't get too complacent. I see that area is supposed to be in the teens by Tuesday night. It's just taking a little longer for the cold to ooze its way there. We're supposed to see two nights in the teens in Austin and possibly some freezing rain. 🥶 

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

Winter Weather Advisory here in MSP today and tomorrow. We may get as much as 6" of snow over the next two days. But the cold, and the wind, are what's keeping us all inside. The event Dave was scheduled to attend this evening has been cancelled--mostly because there's no on-street parking there if it snows.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

3 hours ago, sandsys said:

Winter Weather Advisory here in MSP today and tomorrow. We may get as much as 6" of snow over the next two days. But the cold, and the wind, are what's keeping us all inside. The event Dave was scheduled to attend this evening has been cancelled--mostly because there's no on-street parking there if it snows.

Linda

Hey Linda, why don't you and Dave pop up to our Sun kissed climate of Alberta (sweating in the nook with the sun streaming through the glass honestly!), temps in daughter's car this morning MINUS 38 Deg and windchill hitting the upper MINUS 40's.    Even when the dog goes out for a pee it's so cold when she barks or breathes looks like she's a real heavy smoker 🤣.

Keep warm everyone wherever you are.

Just put a warm 20 lb bottle on the underbelly furnace. It may still have a gas flow problem.  I think it could be the regulator being coldddd.

Next trip out I will try to figure out how to heat it. Or hopefully the warm propane may correct the problem.

I think I am going to swop out cold tanks for warm tanks today. I need to get one small and one large one filled today.

Will keep informed 

The above post was to be posted earlier today.

I borrowed two 20 lb bottles from a friend. From his grill???

The ones from the exchange ins.    .???    They apparently have butane in them ,      About 1/4 of the volume.

put a filled bottle from local supply, and underbelly system works as it should.

Vern, don'tcha know you can't fill propane bottles if it's below 32 degrees?  Yep, got told that in Louisiana a few years ago, when we pulled into a campground in Duson LA.  Got it filled the next day when a northern boy was on duty.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Lessen learned to day.

If the bottle get cold enough propane will not flow enough to operate a furnace,    Continuously.   @@    4;17 in the am.  Ooopsss

So do I go out and fiddle with stuff, or turn off and on every 15 minutes? Every fifteen minutes. I figured out just the one separate tank for the underbelly heat is a problem?

As soon as I can see some outside, I install a hair dryer and cover of bottle and regulator.

Frost on the hose was -45 this am.

Just finished putting a heat tape on main furnace bottle.

-35 degree bottle does not heat up easily when in use?   And it is still 29 degrees outside.

Nap time now.