I think it's High Time this has been put into Law.

lappir

https://www.yahoo.com/news/move-over-law-changing-soon-182510882.html

I always move away from a vehicle stopped along the roadway. Have for years. You never know if they just stopped and are trying to exit their vehicle or not. It's just common sense to me. 

I hope all states follow suit. I was surprised that "Florida" was the first to enact if that in fact is the case. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Indiana vigorously enforces that move over, or  slow to 40mph state law for emergency vehicles. It doesn't address POV's but like you I think it prudent if possible.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

18 hours ago, lappir said:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/move-over-law-changing-soon-182510882.html

I always move away from a vehicle stopped along the roadway. Have for years. You never know if they just stopped and are trying to exit their vehicle or not. It's just common sense to me. 

I hope all states follow suit. I was surprised that "Florida" was the first to enact if that in fact is the case. 

Rod

All 50 states have "move over" laws already.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/move-over-its-law#:~:text=All 50 states have "Move,in some cases jail time.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

While I certainly don't oppose such laws, it's a sad thing to realize we need laws to replace common sense and curtesy.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

It would also help if States would post what speed to slow to when passing those protected vehicles. Some say to slow X mph. Does that mean X mph less than what I'm already driving, or X less than the posted speed limit? I drive a maximum of 65 mph when towing, and usually more like 60. If the sign says to slow 20 mph, and the speed limit is 70, do I slow to 40 mph or 50 mph?

I do pull over on four-lane highways, and frequently I'm passed on the right by someone who thinks that I just moved out of their way. They either don't see or don't care about the vehicle on the shoulder.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

On another note, I like the states that post construction site speed limits and they are the same speed as the ALREADY posted speed, seen this a lot in our travels this year. 

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

3 hours ago, dblr said:

On another note, I like the states that post construction site speed limits and they are the same speed as the ALREADY posted speed, seen this a lot in our travels this year. 

So they are saying don't bother to slow down?

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

4 hours ago, dblr said:

I've never seen anything like that!  So.... if the speed limit is 75 than you can go 75 through construction?  I doubt it!!!

Edited by 2gypsies

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

5 hours ago, sandsys said:

So they are saying don't bother to slow down?

I guess if the speeds are the same then yes

3 hours ago, 2gypsies said:

I've never seen anything like that!  So.... if the speed limit is 75 than you can go 75 through construction?  I doubt it!!!

I did not mention what speed, but we did see it in areas that the posted speed was 65 and so was the construction zone speed posted at 65, my wife even commented about it.

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

As an observer of highway construction over the years, I have found that often the speeds posted change from time to time, depending upon what is happening at the time. The area where we now live has several major projects that take several years to complete and there are times that the speed is the same and other times the speed could be anywhere from 10 mph lower to as much as 40 mph lower.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

19 hours ago, dblr said:

I did not mention what speed, but we did see it in areas that the posted speed was 65 and so was the construction zone speed posted at 65, my wife even commented about it.

Maybe they are simply telling you that it is safe to continue driving the normal limit for this section. That would make it easier to relax while driving it.

Linda

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

It is great that we have move over laws, but the bad thing is how many drivers ignore it and just blast by a LEO on the shoulder whether they have someone stopped or not. I don't think a month goes by without either the car or worse, the officer getting hit.  

Edited by Larry Burkett
m

On 12/25/2023 at 7:08 AM, Dutch_12078 said:

I did realize that Move Over Laws for "Emergency" vehicles has been around for a while. I was glad Florida chose to include my personal non emergency vehicle in the Law. 

I have had the misfortune to have to spend a bit of time on the side of the road over the last couple years. Usually when I pointed my Phone at the traffic they would pull over, but not always. Had three weighted triangles destroyed by people who decided it would be fun to run over them. (Or I assume that was the case). I left them when I was able to move my vehicle off the road at the next exit. When I arrived back to them they were smashed. 

My cousin's daughter was dating a young man in the KC area. His family owned and operated a towing company. He was killed at a very young age by a distracted driver when he was attempting to help get a disabled vehicle off the road in Kansas City. He had all the appropriate warning lights and apparel, but was still run down and killed. 

Rod 

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

9 hours ago, lappir said:

I did realize that Move Over Laws for "Emergency" vehicles has been around for a while. I was glad Florida chose to include my personal non emergency vehicle in the Law. 

I have had the misfortune to have to spend a bit of time on the side of the road over the last couple years. Usually when I pointed my Phone at the traffic they would pull over, but not always. Had three weighted triangles destroyed by people who decided it would be fun to run over them. (Or I assume that was the case). I left them when I was able to move my vehicle off the road at the next exit. When I arrived back to them they were smashed. 

My cousin's daughter was dating a young man in the KC area. His family owned and operated a towing company. He was killed at a very young age by a distracted driver when he was attempting to help get a disabled vehicle off the road in Kansas City. He had all the appropriate warning lights and apparel, but was still run down and killed. 

Rod 

Tow operator is dangerous profession with a high rate of injuries and deaths. Some years ago I part owned a truck service shop with our own tow truck and recovery vehicle fleet. My own rig, that I leased to the company, was a tri-axle 80 ton rotator. I had a few close calls from brush backs, and we had other operators get seriously injured, but fortunately no deaths. 

I've been fortunate that the few times I've broken down on the highway with RV's, that I've been able to get well clear of the roadway while waiting for assistance. Like you though, I have had reflector triangles destroyed by what appeared to be deliberate actions by stupid drivers. I hope their tires were punctured!

Dutch

9 hours ago, lappir said:

The NY State Move Over Law was expanded earlier this, requiring drivers to exercise due care to avoid all vehicles stopped along the roadway, including by changing lanes when possible or slowing down otherwise.

Dutch

As to the triangles getting run over, our granddaughter works for Stop Stick.  Perhaps combining the two......

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

1 hour ago, rickeieio said:

As to the triangles getting run over, our granddaughter works for Stop Stick.  Perhaps combining the two......

While I kind of like that idea I wouldn't want the results coming back at me through the courts.

I had a small, collapsible cone deliberately run over while I watched. I was so shocked, I didn't get the vehicle description. Um, light colored car is not much to go on.

Linda