And this is why we need to pay attention.

GeorgiaHybrid

Commentary is good but not accurate.  U turns are not illegal in most places, unless signage prohibits it, such as the interstate system.  Many states/cities have u turn lanes.

Legalities aside, the driver was operating in am unsafe manner.

EDIT:

I did a quick search and found that u turns are specifically legal in Louisiana on roads with double yellow lines and where there is no oncoming traffic for 200m. (Why metric measure in Louisiana?)  So, while the driver in this instance may have been making a legal turn, it was surely poor judgement to do so in such bad weather conditions.

Two states, Colorado and Oregon, prohibit u turns.

Edited by rickeieio

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Tragic.  That’s why driving should always be defensive not offensive in a truck or car.  We’ve all encountered bonehead drivers of both.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

This looks like Hwy 190 which parallels I-10 from Opelousas east to Baton Rouge. There are numerous areas where there are turn-arounds. Not saying the trucker should have done this but this is how the four-lane is set up.

We travel this route frequently.

Back on the road again in a 2011 Roadtrek 210P

2011 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Lexus GX470, 2018 Ranger XP1000, 2013 RZR 570LE
http://finallynewellin.blogspot.com/

458863254_cabinavatarcopy.jpg.7751792e372f5959d079d77730f9290d.jpg

Not sure what the speed limit was in the start of the video. The truck GPS/Video showed it going 58mph when the car that crashed into the truck flew by. I did see a 45mph sign just before the crash site, but have my doubts the car had slowed down much. The car was also hanging out in the "Left Lane" even though the right lane appeared to be clear. 

I'm sorry this happened, but I do not believe the "JAIL" comment is justified. My opinion. 

We all need to pay attention to the road and stop thinking the cars/trucks/pickups/motorcycles and such can operate by themselves. The notion of AI and driving is just plain stupid. DO NOT RELY ON a MACHINE to pay attention to something that cannot be predicted. Use your eyes, and ears. If you don't want to drive the vehicle, then don't get in it. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

22 hours ago, lappir said:

Not sure what the speed limit was in the start of the video. The truck GPS/Video showed it going 58mph when the car that crashed into the truck flew by. I did see a 45mph sign just before the crash site, but have my doubts the car had slowed down much. The car was also hanging out in the "Left Lane" even though the right lane appeared to be clear. 

I'm sorry this happened, but I do not believe the "JAIL" comment is justified. My opinion. 

We all need to pay attention to the road and stop thinking the cars/trucks/pickups/motorcycles and such can operate by themselves. The notion of AI and driving is just plain stupid. DO NOT RELY ON a MACHINE to pay attention to something that cannot be predicted. Use your eyes, and ears. If you don't want to drive the vehicle, then don't get in it. 

Rod

WELL SAID!!!!!

2002 Beaver Marquis Emerald   C-12 Cat 505 HP

2014 Volvo 630 D-13 I Shift SOLD

2017 New Horizons SOLD

"General rule" in truck/long, slow vehicle accidents; if you hit them 1/2 way and back toward the rear, you had your head somewhere and had plenty of time to avoid the accident. There would be exceptions. The fact the car took an angle to the rear of the vehicle could prove to be one of those exceptions in this accident.  More measurements and car speed would need to be known before a conclusive finding could be made. My first impression, truck shouldn't have turned when he did. (the narrator is a knucklehead)