Off to inspect a Potential Purchase

ddm502001

Today at around 1:30 will be headed to Rolla MO, Wife found a smallish fifth wheel, a Palomino Puma 35THSS at a reasonable price, so will allow her to see what she thinks a bargain.  Does have a nice floor plan other than facilities are between Kitchen and Garage as opposed to off of the Main BR, not sure if even I can accept this but will look.  

Grand Design have some very appealing floor plans just far more expensive and just not hip on the slide out for the bed, would rather the bed set fore/aft to the trailer.  Still Looking even as going to see what this one looks like.  Good point is rained HARD last few days around Rolla so will know if any leaks.

Edited by ddm502001

As noted, the Palomino is an entry level, weekend, and vacation trailer suitable for 3-season use.  The Grand Design is a few steps above it....that is why it cost more.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Well Wife got a harsh dose of her Steak desires on a Oatmeal budget.  She has Honorable ideals in that does not want to be in debt yet has no clue as to how to make that function or what that will buy.  Has always been like this and I leave her to her own little made up nonsense until she comes out of dreamland, next weekend we go to see a dealer that specializes in better quality Used.  She will be both in shock over expense but what a Nicer RV is really about.

She also came to a decision to look at going back to the Harley and riding to where want to go with hotels, set her back in her chair as to better Hotels by night pricing and requirements to set reservations MONTHS out.  Reality can be a harsh mistress.   She damned near to choked as Many of the places we stayed several years ago had simply Doubled in cost.  From $85-150/night to over $200 and up to 500/night.  Gone are the days of reasonable expense.

Dave

6 hours ago, ddm502001 said:

She also came to a decision to look at going back to the Harley and riding to where want to go with hotels, set her back in her chair as to better Hotels by night pricing and requirements to set reservations MONTHS out.  Reality can be a harsh mistress.   She damned near to choked as Many of the places we stayed several years ago had simply Doubled in cost.  From $85-150/night to over $200 and up to 500/night.  Gone are the days of reasonable expense.

Lucky you!  I've got a Tri-Glide but my wife refuses to travel on it very far.  I'd love too.  But she loves day rides so we are looking at toy-haulers again.

Yes, hotels have gone nuts in price, but campgrounds have also shot up.  We have found for only a couple trips a year, it's less expensive to fly or go by train, stay in hotel and sometimes rent a car.  We had a nice camper but, it was one I would call short stay, would not have been a full timer in it.  If your not going to spend more than short trips while camping, the cheap camper would be an option.  Like said, well built/(semi-)fancy campers are as much as what we paid for our home 12yrs ago.  It's crazy what the pandemic did to prices of just about everything.  Good luck with your choices.

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

We rode in 2010 to KY/TN with friends as a Group Huddle, after that debacle went our own way awhile, Trips to Charleston, another to Colorado the same time Joplin MO Tornado event happened, then a Second to CO with another couple.  Ride to Greenville MS and into Nawleans with friends as another group event.  Usual Ride by ourselves 10 days to two weeks, with friends usual a Week.  Last ride I took was alone to see brother outside Greeley CO gone five days two out two back and day and half with brother.  When bought our Road Glide was a wet day, seems born to be a water baby as to every ride of any distance end up in rain for at least half the ride.  Been riding since a pup so wet has little effect on myself, when snowed as we crossed Wolf Creek Pass, wife got Excited.

First return to riding bike, 2003 HD Road King, bought in 08, put 50,000 miles on it as then bought 2012 Road Glide Ultra.  2018 bought a N-Line trailer and use it pretty regularly even for short weekend jaunts.

Dave

Edited by ddm502001

Our current 2012 with the NLine

IMG_1382a.jpg.70bbcf21db12637c7b62cf64eb536bcc.jpg

Went from 88CI and five gal fuel to 103CI and six gal.  Lowers, better Fuel Injection system and a smoother ride than the King.  After 100miles time to stretch, then each successive road time collapses a bit where by end of day cramps and butt ache can barely make 50miles.  Age is NOT our friend.  Used to routinely Iron butt 400, 500 miles up to 800 in a day as a younger rider, lucky to get 200, 250 anymore.

Edited by ddm502001

I named one of my bikes The Rinse Cycle.

You can travel fairly cheap if you pull the rig somewhere and stay put for a week or more, using it as a base camp for day trips.  Where we spent 6 weeks in Bandra, TX, monthly rate was $440 plus electric.  If you take a multi day ride, it isn't costing much to have the camper in a secure location, and it isn't using much electric while yer gone.

We bought a seven y/o Newmar toy hauler in 2015 for under $40k.  Still using it.  Keep looking.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Thanks.  Everyone.  

Wife asked me a question could not just answer,

KNOW Grand design Awesome units, Keystone On par?  and Forest River up to par?  She is really gun shy of Expense currently where have a few close by Forest River Vengeance series, and Keystone Raptor units.  Anywhere from 35' to 42' most with 10 or 12 ft garage space.  Good and Bad on the latter two?  Someone stated Keystone is shutting down facilities.  Had also seen a few Torque units that appeared 'Decent' but they seem to have disappeared already.

Edited by ddm502001

For a 5th wheel, I'm looking at Grand Design, with a couple Forest Rivers.  I prefer the build/quality of GD best.  But, saying that, I'm also looking at Motorhomes and pulling a cargo trailer.

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

Forest River has a huge umbrella, with plenty of different brands under it. Each has some merits, some have only a few(price), some have more. Shop carefully.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Our first 5er was a Keystone Carbon toy hauler (The Raptor is one grade up from this).  It was admittedly more of an entry level trailer.  IMO the build quality was terrible.  Very cheap in every aspect.  It was a 2016 year and by 2021, we were constantly playing the "where did this part fall off from" game every time we set up.

Our current trailer is a Grand Design Momentum toy hauler.  Its quality is better by a good margin from the Keystone.  It isn't what it should be but that is the nature of the industry...  We like the trailer and have chosen to make it a long term relationship by investing in some upgrades:  MORryde IS suspension and upgrade to 8500# (from 7500#) per axle, air over hydraulic brakes with electric backup and a rather substantial solar/lithium install.  We'll never get that money back out of it, so it's ours for a while.

Edited by Av8r3400

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

Gotta ask...... Is your truck not an older unit which you've re-furbished?  If so, why do you seem to be stuck on newer trailers?  There are some pretty good older units out there for cheap.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

41 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

Gotta ask...... Is your truck not an older unit which you've re-furbished?  If so, why do you seem to be stuck on newer trailers?  There are some pretty good older units out there for cheap.

And , very likely better built . ;)

Goes around , comes around .

We have a 05 Raptor. We lived in it for 9 months in Minnesota.(was out of it January, February, March) And did that for 2 years. I would not call it a full time rig but it has been a good long stay rig. As all rigs it has had its issues over the almost 20 years (purchased new in 04) but overall it’s a good rig. It has spent most of its life outside thru the winters  and has held up well. If used you just have to look at how it was taken care of. We have not changed campers because we have not found any we like the floor plan for and what we have is still taking care of us. 

You wife, apparently, needs to learn here is no such thing as cheap, new, quality. She may get two but not all three. If she wants cheap quality, she needs to go old. If she wants new quality, it won't be cheap. If she wants cheap new, it won't be quality. Maybe explaining that to her will help her decide what she really wants.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

2 hours ago, sandsys said:

You wife, apparently, needs to learn here is no such thing as cheap, new, quality. She may get two but not all three. If she wants cheap quality, she needs to go old. If she wants new quality, it won't be cheap. If she wants cheap new, it won't be quality. Maybe explaining that to her will help her decide what she really wants.

Linda

Been down that lane more times than wish to remember, One way road and fails to remember those trips!!

Thought we had a Winner yesterday.  Even took the truck for a well needed exercise run to the dealer to inspect.  Had a new arrival Used, 2017 328G Grand Design, was looking exceptionally good, layout was really good, all the loose parts still in the trailer unlike many that simply vanish, VERY VERY Clean large facilities, Lovely kitchen area and little wear and tear to note.  Tires replaced 2021, load range E 16" and LP Bottles noted as filled recently.  Too Good to be true wife looked at Garage space, quoted at ten feet, the minimum for our scooter where it also had a very clean install W/D.  Tape came out where as a Three Season rear area has Doors, Screen and the fold up Porch railing, was just slightly longer than 9', not enough room to situate a Front Tire Guide Saddle for tie down and still get bike inside.  The beavertail floor at rear was a good 6" into where the rear tire would be so off angle even worse as to needed length.  Strike One.

Sales Gal noted have a Keystone 345 Fusion coming, not a hard date as yet but coming, 38', similar in floor plan and should be similar grade of construct but a 12' garage and really close price to the Grand Design.  She has our number, will ride the Harley there next time to situate within the garage.  So far so good.

BTW, truck ride was great for the wife, was expecting Louder, was subtly LESS noisy than our 1999 F250 was when newer, could actually listen to radio, ride considerably BETTER than the Pickup and Bobtail(8Bag Air Ride is WONDERFUL), agility to steer in tight areas as even stopped at a Applebe's where backed into a Slot well within the lines and square ONE SHOT.  Were a few distractions, engine/exhaust harmonic resonance(Cab Rumble) at 1350-1500rpm in slower traffic maneuvers, tire 'harmonic' or resonance(Transfer vibration) at speed above 71mph yet gone above 76mph or below 70, can attribute that to the 4 year old used drives I got for free.  As a Exercise ride looked for leakage points, warm spots or indications of heating as truck did sit for 6 years unattended before I received it, then two years during repairs.  Differentials have not been out of it.  Temp gauges DO function transmission and differentials, they showed a slight warming of just over 120 degrees both Diffs, and 140 degrees Transmission.  Has a passive trans cooler on it with no signs of excess heating.  In all very clean and no problems to address beyond a slightly loose Left Spot mirror that wanted to drift from wind contact.  Engine steady state 185-190F, cooling fan did not engage at all due to cooler conditions, oil pressure at 75# on road at speed 45# at idle sitting. Truck's cruise functioned well as did exhaust braking where 1650rpm is roughly 74mph.  Wife quite pleased as was first time any distance in a road tractor.  She also realized just how internally small road tractor cabs are even as machine is Visibly HUGE.

Dave

Edited by ddm502001

18 minutes ago, ddm502001 said:

She also realized just how internally small road tractor cabs are even as machine is Visibly HUGE.

Either get as wider cab, or be prepared for an occasional smack up-side the head....  We do like our wide cab.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN