2023 ban on older trucks in California question

runaway parents

1 hour ago, mike5511 said:

If you are illegally licensed in your domicile state, you can travel anywhere in America legally!

Am I reading that correctly, or was it written wrong?

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

The rule that went into effect this year is not specific as to what or whom it applies to other than diesel vehicles with a GVW greater than 14K

The people in California are used to ALL trucks from 1/2 tons up being registered as commercial vehicles     That is a unique California thing from long ago.     With that as background, are all trucks in California are subject to this rule?     The RV carveout expired in 2022 as well, are ALL diesel vehicles not registered as passenger vehicles on the ban list?    

The 1000 mile low use permit may be an option, how do you apply or obtain a permit?     Is that only an option for vehicles that reside in the state?     I need to go to the L.A. area in the next few weeks?

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

4 hours ago, mike5511 said:

For, oh I don't know, the thousandth time maybe? YES! If you are illegally licensed in your domicile state, you can travel anywhere in America legally! What a CONCEPT huh? NOW.....even though our trucks may look like COMMERCIAL vehicles, they are NOT! Commercial Motor Vehicle (CMV) DOT rules DO NOT APPLY. NOW, if you want your big ol' truck to be a CMV, you are free to do that, but as long as you are licensed as a RECREATIONAL VEHICLE (RV) you are exempt from the CMV rules and regulations. This isn't hard to understand folks!!!! GO RVing, be HAPPY! Don't worry!

Well thank you for clearing that up Thanks again

So I'm going to put this topic to bed finally. What you all have been saying about out of state trucks are still allowed in California. It' Is true I called carb  Yesterday  at 1 -866 -634 -3753. And yes to confirm what all you all have been saying Is  True. Our converted trucks that are license As  Is R v's Out of state are welcome in California. We are exempt from their new law. Thanks guys for your help

4 hours ago, runaway parents said:

So I'm going to put this topic to bed finally. What you all have been saying about out of state trucks are still allowed in California. It' Is true I called carb  Yesterday  at 1 -866 -634 -3753. And yes to confirm what all you all have been saying Is  True. Our converted trucks that are license As  Is R v's Out of state are welcome in California. We are exempt from their new law. Thanks guys for your help

Good post! But somebody else will bring the question up again in less than 24 hours! Common sense should have answered the question, but that isn't so common anymore!

I hate to say this as a native Californian but, common sense left the state years ago.     I have been back to my home state less and less over the past 10 years and every time it seems to be farther out of touch with reality.

Steve

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

43 minutes ago, mike5511 said:

Good post! But somebody else will bring the question up again in less than 24 hours! Common sense should have answered the question, but that isn't so common anymore!

And then there are the people who go out of their way to bash California.

2005 Winnebago Voyage 38J

On 1/26/2023 at 2:10 PM, Steve from SoCal said:

I hate to say this as a native Californian but, common sense left the state years ago.     I have been back to my home state less and less over the past 10 years and every time it seems to be farther out of touch with reality.

Steve

My brother escaped with his Bride to CO, He is Conservative, she a Liberal but they get along by not talking politics.  When Newsum and his State House cronies tried to tax their retirements even as lived out of state she had a conniption fit, strange as she had adored Gavin prior.  She still votes D, Brother still R so offset each others votes.  He is mid 70s now, goes trout fishing A LOT and without her, She is always busy with her Grandchildren.  Her daughter is from a earlier marriage.  Now Gavin is back at it going to try a different approach to tax their State Pensions sent to CO.  I was born Burbank Hospital, no intention to go back to see from where I Came.

I trucked into CA in mid 70s and again early 80s, no reasons to return.

Definition of insanity, doing same thing over and over the same way expecting different outcome.  

Dave

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ddm502001 said:

Well this takes ALL questions away and determines ALL machines entering CA will be required to meet CA emissions laws regardless of state of Residence.

This video is miss leading.  He is telling you that you have to be tested no matter where the vehicle is registered in the US, but what he has highlighted it says, "No matter where it is registered in "CALIFORNIA".  I believe it was at the 4:14 mark in the video.  For me it's not going to matter because I live in Calif. and I'll have to have mine tested even though I live in a county that does not require testing for my other cars.

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

On 1/15/2023 at 11:08 PM, Chad Heiser said:

they always take my money and send me new stickers

That is the Cali way.  I sure strikes me in a bad way when the CA DMV continues to collect sales tax on all used vehicle sales when their own sales tax guidelines are about taxes being collected when a product has had "value added" to it, as in buy a product wholesale and then when value is added, tax is collected and paid to the State or County.  How is DMV adding value to used vehicles each time they are sold.  They collect it when the vehicle is new and the collect more each time the same vehicle is transfered, but in order to complete the registration process, additional tax must be paid.  That is then the beginning of the journey of vehicle taxes.  The yearly registration costs are ridiculous as well as the fuel taxes.  Cali pays some of the highest yet we all know that it has some of the worst roads esp freeways in the country.

This has to change but will likely not.

Marcel

On 1/24/2023 at 3:15 PM, Steve from SoCal said:

The people in California are used to ALL trucks from 1/2 tons up being registered as commercial vehicles

The irony of this is that the codes have exemptions BUT since it all begins as commercial, nearly all trucks stay registered as commercial, but with some effort, those used as private vehicles CAN be reclassified, it just isnt done.  

Marcel

The video is as mention talking about California registered vehices.    The gray area of out of state RV's is still not clear but, there does seem to be some exemption.

Regarding the ag inspection, California is one the largest growers and it is a multi-billion dollar industry.    Protecting the industry from alien pest is just good policy.    The bark beatle that is devistating the west is an Asian pest that came to the US via wood shipping materials.     While a lot of folks laugh at the ' fruit cops' it is a real problem.

As far as roadside inspections, these are not new in California.    I remember in the early 1970's getting run through smog inspections around L.A.     The air has become much better in the last 50 years inspite of a massive amount of growth in the state.     I understand the quest to minimize emissions, the issue I have is the natural life cycle of vehicles in California is very long.    Most out of state vehicles have much shorter life spans.    The commercial truck ban on older trucks is one thing, personal vehicles are quite different.  

The state has some physical features and weather patterns that have been a significant part of the problem, even in the early days the local tribes noted how smoke was trapped under inversion layers.    The things like no gas lawn mowers seem crazy BUT, small engines are very inefficient.     I have electric chain saws that are great just pull the lever.     I am not against the state mandating rules that improve the quality of life, I think a velvet glove is better than an iron fist to implement the rules.    The way CARB operates with an iron fist is wrong IMHO.  

I only had a minimal interest in taking our rig to California to visit family.  

Now I have absolutely zero interest in going there.  Ever.

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

OK I thought I put this to rest again.  call (866) 634-3753 You'll be calling carb. They stated that all trucks that are license out of state Are not included In this new  Law. And also we are  Licensed as motorhomes Which again the law don't  Apply. they also stated All non commercial out of state  rv are welcome in California. But seriously if you have any questions call that phone number. that should clear up a lot of this. thanks.

I really want to get out there with the kids before they grow up. But it's going to be a few years. I could take my work truck. But 36-inch sleeper with 2 teenagers in it don't sound like much fun. 

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

My question is What happens if you pull into the state and they find that you don't pass? Do they turn you around and say get lost or do they fine you and make you get it towed to the state line? 

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

1 hour ago, jenandjon said:

My question is What happens if you pull into the state and they find that you don't pass? Do they turn you around and say get lost or do they fine you and make you get it towed to the state line? 

Call the phone number I listed they  Will answer all your Questions .

4 hours ago, jenandjon said:

Since the beginning of emissions testing, in my experience, there's just a fine. Typically, you're often given a period of time to correct it in order to reduce significantly the total fine amount. This is mostly based on experience traveling through NJ, plus following industry news sources. Of course, CA has its own way of doing things. Jay