The wave of the future? Electric fire engine

Chalkie

'm not a firefighter but 2 hours to arrive on scene, fight the fire, and return to the fire house doesn't seem like enough time. I'm not sure I see the value in this fire truck when it can operate 3 times longer on diesel "backup".

Rosenbauer estimates that the RTX can operate for about two hours on battery power alone, plus another six hours on diesel power.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1135900_lafd-electric-fire-engine-delivered?ta=&utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A Trending Content&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR1Qc6KIplUd39GWnj97kwfVCdyzrc0vsiERVMHNF1Ll0Dmwfr2mEWDVn8g

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

Diesel Hybrid. Interesting.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

1 hour ago, Chalkie said:

the two components operate as one.

They have all the components of a series hybrid transmission except the storage battery, as the only batteries are for engine starting and the power from the dynamic braking is dissipated via a big resistor bank. But battery/electric trains are coming.

Union Pacific Railroad to Assemble World's Largest Carrier-Owned Battery-Electric Locomotive Fleet                  OMAHA, NEB., JANUARY 28, 2022

I couldn't find anything recent about a hybrid version of train engines. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

2 hours ago, Chalkie said:

Very true, but they do not refer to the diesel portion as "backup", the two components operate as one.

All those years of electric trolleys and we still insist it can't be done. :)

Now, I'm wondering what all those remotely controlled train engines are using for power.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

3 hours ago, sandsys said:

All those years of electric trolleys and we still insist it can't be done. :)

Now, I'm wondering what all those remotely controlled train engines are using for power.

Linda

The only electric trolleys I recall had overhead electric lines that they connected to for power. That is still current technology using overhead lines like the Denver Light Rail or an electrified third rail like the New York subways.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

On 9/17/2022 at 8:54 AM, Kirk W said:

They have all the components of a series hybrid transmission except the storage battery, as the only batteries are for engine starting and the power from the dynamic braking is dissipated via a big resistor bank. But battery/electric trains are coming.

Union Pacific Railroad to Assemble World's Largest Carrier-Owned Battery-Electric Locomotive Fleet                  OMAHA, NEB., JANUARY 28, 2022

I couldn't find anything recent about a hybrid version of train engines. 

Battery/electric locomotives are nothing new.  The Western Railway Museum in Rio Vista, CA (south of Sacramento) has a large 1926 Kennecott Copper 75 ton steeplecab locomotive with 26,000 lbs of Edison nickel-iron batteries.  Nominally powered from a 750 volt DC overhead line the engine could operate for several hours on it's 255 volt, 680 amp-hour batteries.   It was used to haul ore cars out of an open pit copper mine until 1984 when the mine converted to conveyor belts to carry the ore out of the mine.

https://www.wrm.org/visit/car-roster/locomotives/electric/item/60-kennecott-copper-corporation-700

Even today, electric locomotives are only good for short distance yard switching.  A battery large enough to give the same range as an over the road diesel locomotive's 4000 gallon tank would up fill several boxcars behind the engine.

Diesel electric locomotives are remarkably fuel efficient.   Union Pacific's experimental gas turbine locomotives back in the 1950s were discontinued because they needed a seperate tender car or even a tank car behind the engine to carry enough fuel to get the same over the road range as a contemporary diesel locomotive.

Edited by Lou Schneider

Excellent article Kirk, Thanks! That's in my links library now too.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire