Ooo boy! That hurt!

RV_

So my hearing has been getting much worse much faster. And fluid built up because my Eustachian tubes had closed up. So constant pressure behind my eardrums.

This morning I went in and my ENT guy did an in office Eustachian tube dilation. He crunched tissue in the way and with a scope and a balloon similar to the one they use to open up and artery to implant stints, he partially numbed me with local, and proceeded to jam the balloon in my tube, then blow it up and wait two minutes with it inflated and the tube stretched open, then removing it. I had to go off my blood thinner for two days prior and today. Lots of nose bleeding but not out abnormal so the blood thinner was out of play. If anyone has had the nerve test where they insert a big needle in your arm and another in your neck to test the nerve capability to transmit and electric pulse, it hurts that badly but without my high tolerance for pain would have been intolerable.

He said it has an 80% success rate and if it does not do the trick I get ear tubes again.

I have to sneeze with my mouth open and not lift more than ten pounds again for a couple of weeks and both irrigate twice a day with saline and use Afrin as a vasoconstrictor to help the bleeding.

If anyone needs this done I will update in a couple of weeks.  Next up, new hearing aids.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I'll pass, thanks. I'm so glad I got to go right to hearing aids. I did have to get the ones with open tips, though, so my ears could continue to drain. They itch when they do that.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Sorry to *hear* that you had to go through all that!  It doesn't sound fun, but, hopefully, it'll help your hearing.

I just got my first pair of hearing aids this week, something I should have done years ago.  Today is my 3rd day using them and so far, so good.  Other than hearing loss, I haven't had any other problems with my ears (knock on wood).

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

As units age they require more upkeep!  Sure hope I never need that procedure.

re: hearing aids. I've been told several times hearing aids would alleviate my tinnitus I've had since 1983. An  audiologist  told me hearing aids would mask the tinnitus and make it more bearable  Just what I need, more noise in my head___. Nope, ain't gonna happen.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

53 minutes ago, Ray,IN said:

re: hearing aids. I've been told several times hearing aids would alleviate my tinnitus I've had since 1983. An  audiologist  told me hearing aids would mask the tinnitus and make it more bearable  Just what I need, more noise in my head___. Nope, ain't gonna happen.

My sentiments , exactly . 

Goes around , comes around .

On 9/9/2022 at 8:08 PM, sandsys said:

I'll pass, thanks. I'm so glad I got to go right to hearing aids. I did have to get the ones with open tips, though, so my ears could continue to drain. They itch when they do that.

Linda

Linda, I am glad you are having success with your hearing aids, they helped me a lot too. I had Hearing aids for several years see my last post here.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

On 9/10/2022 at 8:00 AM, LindaH said:

Sorry to *hear* that you had to go through all that!  It doesn't sound fun, but, hopefully, it'll help your hearing.

I just got my first pair of hearing aids this week, something I should have done years ago.  Today is my 3rd day using them and so far, so good.  Other than hearing loss, I haven't had any other problems with my ears (knock on wood).

Thanks Linda. Very Punny! No it wasn't fun but now that the bleeding has stopped yesterday and I am back on my blood thinner successfully at least my ears are crackling again with elevation changes. You can vary ! 1000 feet in the urban suburban areas here. we are at 6000-7000 feet between here and Manitou.

The lack of Bass response irritated me but I sure miss them once I got used to them.

I am sure you will get a lot of relief with them. Glad you haven't had other issues. Mine is just fluid.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

On 9/10/2022 at 9:58 AM, Pat & Pete said:

That all sounds worse than my constant tinnitus .

Hope it all works in your favor . 

Thanks Pat, Pete. My tinnitus is retty bad too. Good luck with yours.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

On 9/10/2022 at 2:08 PM, Ray,IN said:

Yep we do need more maintenance with age that's for sure.

Hearing aids work great for me, tinnitus and all.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Thanks guys! I am recovered it seems.

However let me answer y'all in one post because many thought this was my first go round with this.

I spent my last 20 of 27 years active duty teaching folks to shoot all the hand and shoulder and tripod and vehicle mounted weapons from pistols to assault rifles, shotguns, machine guns to shoulder fired rockets to grenade launchers and .50 cal. Sniper rifles. (The other seven years was 4 as a medic and three as a Medical Lab Technologist) This included using flash bangs for cop training and some other pyrotechnic goodies for stress shooting training and shoot don't shoot live fire and electronic simulators..

From 1983-2003 we were professional mobile DJs with pro gear in the US and Europe on most weekends. I got paid to play my music LOUD! It was a blast for me and I got paid for it!

By the time I retired I had Tinnitis, significant hearing loss of high freqs. It got worse with age until I had to go get hearing aids from the VA five years ago. Those hearing aids were OK but the right one broke and the VA said I could not get more until every five years. That was about two years ago. This year I can get another set. I learned I want in ear however because in restaurants and other places with high background noise my behind the ears aids let me hear folks six feet behind me louder than the person in front of me. I am going to try the all in the ear including the mic in ear ones this time.

It seems my hearing has decided to get worse by the year now than before. So getting the pressure from fluid relieved was suggested by my ENT guy. He also did a hearing test and mentioned that it had degraded significantly. So now I need hearing aids as before I still heard most things but now have to ask folks to face me and just please speak up a bit. Need them now.

Anyway I am violating some stuff like not overusing the Afrin, and am going back to drinking soda tomorrow not two weeks. 🤫

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

On 9/10/2022 at 4:08 PM, Ray,IN said:

I didn't think it would work for my tinnitus either despite the VA audiologist's assurances that it would help when I received my new aids. I was pleasantly surprised at just how well it works, and the boost to my specific frequency does not seem noticeable as far as adding any new noise goes. If you need hearing aids anyway, I suggest having the tinnitus frequency set as part of the tuning process. If for some reason you find the result objectionable, they can always change the settings.

Edited by Dutch_12078
typo

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

1 hour ago, Dutch_12078 said:

I didn't think it would work for my tinnitus either despite the VA audiologist's assurances that it would help when I received my new aids. I was pleasantly surprised at just how well it works, and the boost to my specific frequency does not seem noticeable as far as adding any new noise goes. If you need hearing aids anyway, I suggest having the tinnitus frequency set as part as of the tuning process. If for some reason you find the result objectionable, they can always change the settings.

Thank you for the information and edification.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Thanks Dutch as I am about to go through that process with the VA again. Good info.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

11 hours ago, RV_ said:

Thanks Dutch as I am about to go through that process with the VA again. Good info.

Good! I really hope it works out for you. Note that with some of the current hearing aids, adjustments to the settings can even be done remotely by your audiologist using an app on your phone.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Y'all are an enlightening look into the future for a younger generation. Yah, I'm gonna go with enlightening.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Darryl,

I'm glad you put your Bday in your profile so I can put that in perspective. I was 45 when I retired and we went full time in our first rig. We had been VW Westie (Pop up VW bus Westphalia Campers) owners since our 20s a Coleman pop up in our 30s and then back to Westie builds and built more than a few custom superstock Westies for us.

All our full time peers were 65 plus in 1997, 20 years my seniors but these forums weren't ready for prime time until ~ '98-'99 I forget. So I know that feeling. I am 70 now and we've lost a lot of them. But still have a lot here on the forums.

Let me give you the best advice I can about aging. In my 20s I was on the go and walked very fast or ran everywhere. Lean and mean American military machine. I gained some weight and in my 30s had to work really hard to lose it and build my muscles back. Started to have back issues but did not stop me.

Those years are like running on a cinder track, no problems but have to keep in shape. My 50s were different but not in a distressing way. I just had to stay active to stay active but I did lose a lot of muscle tissue compared to before. My 60s were like I could still run but the cinder track had turned to sand and it took a lot more effort and work to keep fit and lean. I had back and neck surgeries at 64 and they helped some.

I just turned 70 and the last couple of years with the pandemic keeping us inside I know what "use it or lose it" means now. But I am fine relatively speaking. I am mobile and can handle my tools and lift and handle normal body loads. But I do get sore if I overdo it.

From here on out it is mostly just keeping active and figuratively walking the track.

Don't stop working out but don't push too hard either. Be graceful in aging. Be grateful you get to do it. I can't wait to see what happens next. We have big plans for the next ten years and looking forward to the fun. You do too.

Simplified, if you don't use it you will lose it. Getting old is a bear, but it sure beats the alternative.

Hope that helps.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998