How long can you go in Texas without in-person safety inspection?

We are Texas residents who have been full-timing out of state for five or six years.  So far we have been able to renew our registration sticker on-line without doing the in-person inspection. 

Does anyone here know if the state of Texas has a limit on the number of years you can do this? 

Every time the sticker is up for renewal, I worry that I'll have to drive all the way across the country just to get a sticker.

There is no limit on the number of times you can register from out-of-state without an inspection, and no need to worry that you'll have to "drive all the was across the country just to get a sticker".  We did it for ten years with no fuss or muss. 

Edited by mptjelgin

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

We have been Escapee members for the last 8 years and have always claimed we were out of state during our July registration month. During the last 4 years I have not bothered getting inspections done even though we still spent 3-4 winter months in Texas and have never been stopped or checked. I'm not advocating for anyone to break the law, but inspection checks seem to be low priority. If I were to be stopped, I had planned to plead "senior moment" and then go get inspected. This applied to my motorcycle and truck. I left my camper plated in Mich as a permanent plate under my sons registration (shady but so far was good)

1 hour ago, gjhunter01 said:

We have been Escapee members for the last 8 years and have always claimed we were out of state during our July registration month. During the last 4 years I have not bothered getting inspections done even though we still spent 3-4 winter months in Texas and have never been stopped or checked. I'm not advocating for anyone to break the law, but inspection checks seem to be low priority. If I were to be stopped, I had planned to plead "senior moment" and then go get inspected. This applied to my motorcycle and truck. I left my camper plated in Mich as a permanent plate under my sons registration (shady but so far was good)

Not sure I'd admit that on a public forum. :)

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

1 hour ago, gjhunter01 said:

We have been Escapee members for the last 8 years and have always claimed we were out of state during our July registration month. During the last 4 years I have not bothered getting inspections done even though we still spent 3-4 winter months in Texas and have never been stopped or checked. I'm not advocating for anyone to break the law, but inspection checks seem to be low priority. If I were to be stopped, I had planned to plead "senior moment" and then go get inspected. This applied to my motorcycle and truck.

I left my camper plated in Mich as a permanent plate under my sons registration (shady but so far was good)

Amazing that you would admit this on a forum.  

When returning to TX you have 3 days to get an inspection.

https://www.dps.texas.gov/section/vehicle-inspection/faq/general-inspection#:~:text=Motorist Out-of-State When,will be permitted to register.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

We have talked to others that have not done the safety inspection for years and they are back in Texas for several months each year.

The inspection can be a pain to get on larger rigs.  First, trying to find a shop that you can get near.  Next is waiting to get the inspection done.  Most shops will admit that they lose money on the inspections and will do paying work before they do a $7.00 inspection.  It is not fun to sit in a hot truck for an hour or two with pets while waiting for them to get to you.

The inspection is a joke anyway.  Before I pull out, I check all the lights and tires.  Texas just needs to do away with the safety inspection on RV trailers.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Not to advocate ignoring regulations, but sometimes logic should override obedience. The inspection is a joke, and a loss to the inspecting shop. $7.00 to have a MH pull in, block a drive/bay, and wait for someone to walk around and find the VIN, then sign off the "inspection"--now, for a gasser, I believe it requires an emissions check?   I am out-of-state each year when due--renew reg by email and get the sticker forwarded to me. Then drive around for months and if back it TX, try to find a shop to do it within the '3 days'   If saying this on the forum gets the me in trouble, so be it...maybe the IRS will be 'taxed' with the chore.

Edited by jblo

There have been various legislative attempts over many years to eliminate vehicle inspections in Texas. A couple have come close but none have passed. I really wish that they would do away with them.

The last automotive repair shop in my immediate area stopped doing state inspections a couple of years ago as they are a hassle and as noted above, a loss to the inspecting shop if done correctly. 

So for my last inspection I had to drive an additional 15 miles to the next town. The inspector didn't even start the car, let alone drive it. He simply looked at it and it passed. Such a bunch of nonsense. 

Mark & Teri

Mark & Teri's Travels

I have had inspections in at least 6 different locations over 8 years. Several have told me it is all about the VIN number. There are looking for stolen vehicles. A business in Fort Stockton, did tell me at accelerate forward about 40 foot and do a panic stop. Others are satisfied if tires are good and break dust appears on the wheels.

I have three different vehicles, one or two are always self-inspected and re-inspected when entering the state.

Clay towing a Fifth Wheel

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

On 8/20/2022 at 9:45 AM, jblo said:

now, for a gasser, I believe it requires an emissions check?  

Only certain counties around El Paso, Dallas/Fort Worth, Houston, and Austin require emissions testing for gas-powered vehicles registered in those counties.

We fulltimed for seven years with Texas residency. I was stationed in San Antonio when I retired and we took of RVing from there. We did not do an in person inspection for six of them. On our way back from California in 2002 we had a new to us fifth wheel 36' with two slides and we had our plates shipped ahead to our winter address. We had to travel from San Diego across Hwy 8 to Hwy10 to Hwy 20 to NW Louisiana without a license plate never mind an inspection sticker. I had my bill of sale and a copy of the paperwork to register it in Texas. We did not get stopped nor even got a funny look and we passed plenty of LEOs on the way. The RV parks didn't bat an eye. The base asked to see our paperwork and that was all. So the likelihood of getting hassled for an expired inspection sticker seem slim to none.

I remember we went over to Waskom Texas to have it inspected since we were on our way through Texas again. And we were told if I remember correctly that we had to have it inspected in the county we are registered in, which was Polk county. I don't know if those are still the rules but you might check that too.

However carry a copy printed from online about out of state rules to keep on hand if you are worried.

Safe Travels!

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

There is no requirement to have the Texas vehicle inspection done in the county where the vehicle is registered. The only restriction is that gas-powered motor vehicles registered in an emissions testing county must be inspected in an emissions testing county. 

Mark & Teri

Mark & Teri's Travels

On 8/20/2022 at 12:40 AM, sandsys said:

Not sure I'd admit that on a public forum. :)

Linda

On 8/20/2022 at 1:06 AM, 2gypsies said:

Amazing that you would admit this on a forum.  

When returning to TX you have 3 days to get an inspection.

https://www.dps.texas.gov/section/vehicle-inspection/faq/general-inspection#:~:text=Motorist Out-of-State When,will be permitted to register.

I'm just not that paranoid to think that the state of Texas would monitor this/any forum and then place any priority on tracking me down for a inspection violation. If that keeps you awake at night, then by all means get your inspection. My experience shows the inspection requirement to be not highly policed, much like driving 3-5 MPH over a rural speed limit.

On 8/28/2022 at 4:59 PM, mptjelgin said:

There is no requirement to have the Texas vehicle inspection done in the county where the vehicle is registered. The only restriction is that gas-powered motor vehicles registered in an emissions testing county must be inspected in an emissions testing county. 

Thanks mptjelgin,

OK I have slept since then! Good correction! Lynda remembers us being told that but we can't remember what we were trying to do. Plus it has been 20 years - they may have changed the laws. The important thing I was trying to get across is that in my experience RVs are not on the radar of most cops unless we are driving erratically or have a light out or are observed committing any other violation. We have never been checked for inspection stickers, but it would be part of any ticket I am sure for something else.

We kept our inspection sticker current whenever we were in Texas for more than a day or three driving across, but did not sweat it in or out of Texas while traveling.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

On 8/28/2022 at 5:59 PM, mptjelgin said:

There is no requirement to have the Texas vehicle inspection done in the county where the vehicle is registered

The other think to keep in mind is that if you do have a vehicle inspected in one of the counties that requires emissions testing you will be tested and pay the higer price, even though you don't need that. I discovered that the hard way.  It seems that inspection stations in counties with an emieeions test are only licensed to do inspections that include it. At least it was that was about 10 or so years ago. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

13 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

The other think to keep in mind is that if you do have a vehicle inspected in one of the counties that requires emissions testing you will be tested and pay the higer price, even though you don't need that. I discovered that the hard way.  It seems that inspection stations in counties with an emieeions test are only licensed to do inspections that include it. At least it was that was about 10 or so years ago. 

I ran into that once as well. Lesson learned!

Mark & Teri

Mark & Teri's Travels

On 8/29/2022 at 5:35 PM, RV_ said:

Lynda remembers us being told that but we can't remember what we were trying to do. Plus it has been 20 years - they may have changed the laws.

Twenty-five, thirty years ago, I'd routinely get my car inspected in a different Texas county from where it was registered.  I'd do it when I'd go visit my parents in another part of the state--it was a way to have a chore to do to break up the visit a little.  😀

Edited by Blues

Thanks Blues got it. We have firmly established that you can have your vehicle inspected anywhere in Texas.Neither of us remembers as it was more than 20 years ago. We went to Waskom Texas from Princeton LA and had to have some inspection or registration issue resolved and they said it had to be in our county because the fees are different in different counties? Beats me. I have emissions controls on my Model Y.

Oh well had my senior moment for the quarter.😏

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

• 4 weeks later...

in some ways i wish cal would do safety inspections again. as there are lots of "junker" cars out there that are not safe. or are just not working right..aka lights. parts hanging off, etc.

but they were removed as it impacted the "poor".... people that could not afford owning a car. but had one or two broken down. and sorta putting around on the streets.

but yes can be a head ache or a big problem.

I used to be a CA certified lamp and brake person. Had to go to Sac and take a test. It was 45 years ago, I was not even 15 when I qualified.  It did get me an outside the family gig at a service station. I was the youngest not a pump jockey and did the same work as the only timer.

Interestingly, I got pulled over for a brake light being out. A quick notice from the LEO and we were on our way. It was a car we don’t drive often. Pulled into a safe place for both of us and kept hands visible. Just got a new DL last week which he spotted.