Nationwide Ins for HDT's - Has anyone noticed?

ARGO

We  were with a subsidiary of Nwide, and I never noticed this. In several spots, their policy refers to a "Medium Duty Truck" as the tow vehicle. I consider my Volvo to be a class 7 since it is not a tandem, and I think common usage of "MDT" is class 4 to 7 

Pls reply, not much time to search.  What Ins carrier is anybody using if not Nwide?

You'd have to see the movie to understand..........

I believe you are correct that a class 7 is mdt.

We are with Progressive through Lazy Days RV in Tampa.  Once you make contact with the right person there, everything goes very smoothly.  Get the wrong person, and you are up against a brick wall.  We recently got a premium notice, and it's over $300 cheaper for the 2018 KW than it was for the 2001 Volvo. 

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Tks! We were with Progressive, but noticed that you were not covered for the truck unless SPECIFICALLY BEING USED AS/WITH AN RV.  Use it to go to Home Depot near your home & you have NO coverage. Unless you went to buy fuel....................................

Care to PM me with your "correct person" at LD? APPRECIATED!

Had Nationwide for a year.  They decided our truck was manufactured as a class 8, so would not renew us.  Title is changed, one axle removed.  I found out, having a second grocery getter car makes a difference.  I was told by multiple agents the second car removes a lot of risk from the HDT.  We don’t have that, but we are shopping for another car for convenience.

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

So Sculptor got caught & you haven't.......yet. Tks for the reply! I'm trying to see a problem coming and sidestep it. 

Sculptor, did anything trigger the witch hunt? Claim or whatever?  

Still have nationwide 3 years now, and my cost went down!

Think about it - our hitches aren't rated for enough to be class 8!

They can call it what they want, as long as they insure it!  Good to have backup docs of your convos if needed.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

1 hour ago, ARGO said:

So Sculptor got caught & you haven't.......yet. Tks for the reply! I'm trying to see a problem coming and sidestep it. 

Sculptor, did anything trigger the witch hunt? Claim or whatever?  

I think the other folks here have been with them longer, and don’t need to worry.  I suspect there was some kind of glitch with my account only.  It’s just so frustrating to get no answers.  All the agent said was it had to do with the vin number.  That was the only answer I could get.

I pestered the agent, who was not the same agent I bought the policy from.  She said an unspecified mistake was made at the time it was written.  I called a number for Nationwide directly, and tried other agents who deal with Nationwide.  There was no claim made at any time, and no driving record problems.   I wish I had advice how to avoid this situation with them.  

Several here have had no problems, so I don’t want to draw NW attention to them by pushing harder for an answer.  She wouldn’t make an honest offer for a different policy, so we had to move on.

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

We have had Nationwide for more than 15 years.  One time while talking with them I called out HDT a toter and they threatened to drop me.  A toter was described by them as a HDT modified as a camper and an extended frame.  I changed to call it a tow vehicle and sent a picture.  No more problems.  I also said we sometimes carry a car on the HDT and use it to haul more trailers than the RV.  That was okay.

Edited by Randyretired

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

Well, I may not have a problem due to "VIN". If any of you remember my history here on the forum, my truck was a total & I rebuilt it. As such, to get a good title the State Police had to inspect it (for stolen parts, etc- NOT safety). Anyway, they stamped my frame with THEIR number, as is on my title.  It's not 17 digits, and they probably will never track it back

I am NOT an insurance agent or have any real knowledge of insurance etc. I am also in no other capacity legally or otherwise. However, I have a gmc topkick for personal use that is vin#ed at 33,000gvwr. I only T plate it here in Oregon for 26,000lb. 26,000 and under does not require a cdl, 26.001 and up does. That for "T" plates here in Oregon which is a truck plate that you pay fees based on weight. Similar to the RV where you pay based on length.

I've had this truck for years and for some reason even after being insured with the same company for several years, I get a letter in the mail stating that my vehicle in vin#ed as commercial and would not be renewed. I called to explain, did'nt matter. The larger insurance companies make decisions based on statistics and manufacturers facts.

So I went insurance shopping. Found one that would sell me a policy for personal use, no cdl, non commercial. Basically they called it a "ranch" policy and I had to also bring other insurances to their table. Ok. Then I get a letter in the mail stating that the vehicle description and plates do not match the vin#. ???? huh? They required me to take pictures of the vehicle, with the plates and vin# etc. I did. They sent a letter confirming the vehicle and that it must have been a typo, however because it was originally equipped with a class 7 hitch from the factory, and that no official documents exist otherwise, they would not renew my policy unless I put F, or farm plates on it. The recent crack down of issue of F plates would not allow this, so on to insurance company 3.

We will see how long this company keeps selling me a policy, but the agent, whom is new here from the south, (love her accent)mentioned that new computer programs are used to "audit" policy  holders. Could'nt (or would'nt) explain further, but it is a risk management procedure because of all of the fraud now days.

Similar in nature to the "why" it is so useless to put "private use only" or "not for hire" on your rv truck, because so many in the past abused the RV registration and used their vehicle for commercial use just trying to get away without the high expense of commercial license and insurance etc. Which is also why the farm or "F" plates are under fire and so hard to get now.

My HDT RV is currently through PEMCO which is a small company. I dont know how long they will continue selling me a policy no matter the paper work I produce showing no commercial hitch, Motorhome title, etc., but no amount of splaining to them will change their minds once they find a way to use statistics to cut their losses or increase our premiums and restrict our coverages.

IMO, which is worth the entire fee you paid me for it.

I'm a work'n on it.

22 hours ago, ARGO said:

Care to PM me with your "correct person" at LD? APPRECIATED!

I failed to note the name of the agent who knew her stuff.  Now I wish I had taken the time to write it on the policy.

We have no restrictions on using the truck without the camper attached, and can pull any other trailer, so long as it's not commercial.

I've found that policies vary from state to state, even within the same company.  Also, some agents will say you can do certain things, while others do not.  I have read my policy, and while I don't pretend to understand all of it, most of the important stuff is pretty clear.

One thing I've learned, is to NEVER say you have a converted truck.  Use whatever term is on your title and no more.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I just went through the insurance search, got three different quotes on full time insurance with no restriction on driving truck.  Here is who I used:

Lazy Days Tampa, talk to Grace or Lillian. The supervisor also know how to do it. 866-316-3862

Miller Insurance in Oregon.  Requires a picture of the truck.  503-636-6347

Clemens Insurance Agency in Kansas. You have to also have another car insured with them, used my Smart.  620-421-9999

Hope this helps. 

4 hours ago, Tippy said:

I just went through the insurance search, got three different quotes on full time insurance with no restriction on driving truck.  Here is who I used:

Lazy Days Tampa, talk to Grace or Lillian. The supervisor also know how to do it. 866-316-3862

Miller Insurance in Oregon.  Requires a picture of the truck.  503-636-6347

Clemens Insurance Agency in Kansas. You have to also have another car insured with them, used my Smart.  620-421-9999

Hope this helps. 

Miller specifically told me no bobtail, only usable with trailer they are also insuring.

2017 Jayco Designer 37rs "Fiona"

2007 Volvo 670 "Henry"

18 minutes ago, Sculptor said:

Miller told me I could bobtail. 

"TOLD"??

Get it ***in writing*** on an email or something. Agents have E&O insurance to cover their screwups. 

Getting ready to call agent now. Policy says "in conjunction with", does that mean bobtail while camping away from home? Or while physically connected? One would think common sense prevails, but bobtail is bobtail, right?

When I talked to agent at Miller, I asked about bobtail. Explained to her it is only pickup I have. So if I need to get some lumber or large appliance from Lowes I would use it. Also like to fill up fuel without camper.  She stated it is a gray area but I would be good. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

I save all this stuff on emails between agents & me. I would email her with "here's my understanding of our conversation" and save her reply. 

I'm still pushing the agent to get a definition of "MDT" . That's pretty  subjective, since there seems to be no direct definable correlation between that and the "class" system.

Ran into this same fecus bovum when dealing with MDDMV. "Once a tractor, always a tractor" . OK, so why is a converted schoolie no longer a passenger bus?