How much kamping time per dollar of fuel spent?

Dollytrolley

Ok from Death Valley to Steens Mtn, Oreguun horse Kamp we have ruined a $500 bill on fuel but so far we have been just walking, horse riding, or falling of bikes for 16 days without a engine started......

How much fuel cost per Kamp time do you get by with?

Obviously horse operation is not a cheep skate hobby and diesel burning is getting interesting as well ......

We likely won't start gobbling diesel until July when Dolly momma has horse rides with other Kowgurls about 200 miles West.

Are you kamping longer and driving less often???

Drive on.......(maybe less often)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Howdy All,

At my age, I refuse to let the cost of fuel stop me from enjoying myself.  YES, I am upset with the cost of fuel but if the choice is to enjoy my life at a COST or sit home and brood about what might have been, I am filling the darn tank, burning it, killing the planet and endangering the childern.  I know some folks can't have this attitude and that life is a struggle which the high cost of fuel is severely hurting, remember who did this to you when the time comes.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

I agree with spindrift and Mr. Cob.  Keep on marching. Now if our health will release us we would be on the road.

We call it "fuel averaging".   We have to stay in one place long enough that the cost per day for fuel is averaged over the whole trip.  Harder to justify a short trip.

To do a trial run, I set of to go to the mid-west.  A trip out and back of 1680 miles (840 *2) for two weeks.  I put in fuel, CG stays along the route, food for 2 weeks, fuel for Smart, and CG for two weeks.

Then, I flew from Norfolk to St Louis.  I put in flight for two, hotel cost for 2 weeks, car rental, and eating out every day.

I assumed cost for entertainment to be the same for both ways so that did not enter into my spreadsheet.

Driving the truck out at today's prices and staying for 14 days is an average cost per day of $205

Flying out for 14 days has an average daily cost of $490.  

Cutting the trip down to a week:  Driving - $303/day  Flying - $668/day

Driving/flying half the distance and staying for 14 days Driving $165/day  Flying was a bit ambiguous.  Flying places within 450 miles costs more than long flights into the mid-west.  Costs then would be at least $668/day or more.

Results:

!. Short driving distance saves money.  

2, Staying longer cuts down the avg daily cost   About $100/day saved at 14 days ($205) vs. 7 days ($303)

3.  Flying is expensive.

And no amount of money equates to the joy of driving these rigs and having our own place to stay.

Edited by NeverEasy

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

Being horse-enabled...we Are not welcome in most camps and do we seldom know how many non-horse folks are camping.

We tend to boondock in HUGE areas often a hundred miles or more from a freeways or major shopping so we often stay in one location for many days or weeks at a time so our cost of fuel is spread out while Dolly momma gives the hayburner exercise.....

Actually the price of hay is rising faster than diesel so she uses solar-horse-fuel (green wild grass grazing) to save on hay.

Likely we will clock a total of only 2,000 miles between Death Valley and our Oregon properties......

We enjoy camping more than driving so fuel is  factor but not  trip killer....

Drive on.......( Dolly horse gets good grass milage)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Knowing too many " investor's" "bankers" and PhD finance-whiz-folks they have huge smiles from the oil stocks special dividends they seen flood into their accounts since the first of this year.

Guy down the road retired from too many years at one of the big three oil companies was giddy at the +$32k special dividends he received in April alone and that's chump change compared to how much his stock has gone up in value.

He says you have know idea how far I can drive my Tesla on just my oil dividends alone......

He will say that oil investers think it's about time that Americans are paying the world price for oil that is a world commodity.....he has a point as a invester....

Now PhD wiz-kid finance nephew says just ride the price wave up....up.....up until price kills demand and then the rest of the economy will........."adjust".......

"Adjust" ........whiz-kid speak for.... OUCH this is gonna hurt a LOT of folks and some folks will be giddy happy....

Some folks get a bit tangled up in politics but at the end of the day oil is still oil and it's way way more market driven than most people know or admit.

Before you send things to hurt my well known tender feelings ask yourself this invester question:

IF I purchase $1,234,567.00 of XYZ Oil Company stock do you want them to sell Ten Million barrels on the world market at $113.50 a barrel or do you want the company to sell the same oil in Kansas for $89.50 a barrel......

Ask yourself why do I invest????

Best to just elevate this above petty policy and politics.... 

Drive on......your milage might very will be related to your dividend'z......

28 minutes ago, Dollytrolley said:

Knowing too many " investor's" "bankers" and PhD finance-whiz-folks they have huge smiles from the oil stocks special dividends they seen flood into their accounts since the first of this year.

Guy down the road retired from too many years at one of the big three oil companies was giddy at the +$32k special dividends he received in April alone and that's chump change compared to how much his stock has gone up in value.

He says you have know idea how far I can drive my Tesla on just my oil dividends alone......

He will say that oil investers think it's about time that Americans are paying the world price for oil that is a world commodity.....he has a point as a invester....

Now PhD wiz-kid finance nephew says just ride the price wave up....up.....up until price kills demand and then the rest of the economy will........."adjust".......

"Adjust" ........whiz-kid speak for.... OUCH this is gonna hurt a LOT of folks and some folks will be giddy happy....

Some folks get a bit tangled up in politics but at the end of the day oil is still oil and it's way way more market driven than most people know or admit.

Before you send things to hurt my well known tender feelings ask yourself this invester question:

IF I purchase $1,234,567.00 of XYZ Oil Company stock do you want them to sell Ten Million barrels on the world market at $113.50 a barrel or do you want the company to sell the same oil in Kansas for $89.50 a barrel......

Ask yourself why do I invest????

Best to just elevate this above petty policy and politics.... 

Drive on......your milage might very will be related to your dividend'z......

Hey Dolley, come down to Texas.  There are sites a plenty for you and your four hoofed companion. 

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

Then there is the boat dilemma, get where you are going in five hours burn 7 GPM OR get there is 25 hours and get 2GPM?     Engine time on a couple of 16V2000 /jets aint free or cheap either.      Prices are rising BUT, life marches on, we are only here for a short while.    Make the most of the most precious commodity TIME.

Steve     

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

2 minutes ago, Steve from SoCal said:

Then there is the boat dilemma, get where you are going in five hours burn 7 GPM OR get there is 25 hours and get 2GPM?     Engine time on a couple of 16V2000 /jets aint free or cheap either.      Prices are rising BUT, life marches on, we are only here for a short while.    Make the most of the most precious commodity TIME.

Steve     

What are those MTUs pushin'?

2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M

3 hours ago, spindrift said:

Our big truck doesn't pull our camper but I believe the question remains the same.  We're moving forward with our plans.  Hate to say it, but a part of me says screw Brandon, full steam ahead.  This administration is NOT going to stop us from what we love to do.  If need be, we'll adjust in other ways.

Right on! That’s what I am trying to do.

Some time back, we stayed in a little campground in Bandera, TX with spindrift and his bride.  The nightly rate was $40, weekly, $225, and monthly $325.  Settle in for a month, unload the scooters, and if you go exploring for a few days, it costs about $10/day to leave the rig in a pretty secure "storage lot".

Back in 2014, I did a cost analysis similar to what Nevereasy did, but calculated from Cincinnati to Alaska.  We paid over $5/gal on that trip, and I'd do it again in a heart beat.  In fact, in 2024. for our 50th anniversary.  Dam the torpedoes (fuel cost), full speed ahead!!!!!

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

48 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

Back in 2014, I did a cost analysis similar to what Nevereasy did, but calculated from Cincinnati to Alaska.  We paid over $5/gal on that trip, and I'd do it again in a heart beat.  In fact, in 2024. for our 50th anniversary.  Dam the torpedoes (fuel cost), full speed ahead!!!!!

Excellent!  Deb and I would like to make that trip in 2024 also.  It has been on our bucket list for a long time.  Maybe we can get some other HDT folks to go.  That would be a hoot!

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

Ahem, we got room for our Alaska bound friends. Might even be able to get the North Country Rallye off the ground. 

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

We are currently on an 8000+ mile, 4 month, trip. We typically are only staying a few days in one location with a few stays at around a week each. 

I do not track the cost per kamp time. We have no income so if I need more money for fuel it just comes out of what the kids will get later at the end of our life. 

This trip will probably cost us around $10k with fuel and campground fees, but we wanted to see the country when we retired and we plan to that. I guess that comes to about $58 per day for fuel and $83 per day total for fuel and campgrounds. We might put off our Alaskan trip another year, that will just have to wait and see. Currently I have trips planned for the fall and winter.  

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

6 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Some time back, we stayed in a little campground in Bandera, TX with spindrift and his bride.  The nightly rate was $40, weekly, $225, and monthly $325.  Settle in for a month, unload the scooters, and if you go exploring for a few days, it costs about $10/day to leave the rig in a pretty secure "storage lot".

50 years, Rick, God Bless!  :wub::wub:

2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M

3 hours ago, spindrift said:

50 years, Rick, God Bless!  :wub::wub:

She's been putting up with me for a long time.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

On 6/9/2022 at 12:18 AM, Star Dreamer said:

I do not track the cost per kamp time. We have no income so if I need more money for fuel it just comes out of what the kids will get later at the end of our life. 

Right with you. Depreciate that inheritance. Slipping into the ground with a net worth of zero is a goal.

Our current trip will be aprox. 3000 miles. Wyoming, Montana, South Dakota, northern Colorado and back to Utah. Not sure what the fall & winter will bring, but it will be on the road to warmer areas.

Just an aside, headed east on I-80 from Salt Lake last week with a 40mph tailwind, was nice on MPG. We gave all that back heading north west in Wy. with 35-40 mph head and side winds. Wyoming does not suck...it blows. Watching that fuel gauge go down was shocking. So I might just put put a bit of tape over it.😆

Robert & Lisa
'14 Keystone Fuzion 315 38' 5er

2015 Volvo VNL 670, D13, iShift 'The Tartis' (ours)

2013 Smart Fortwo Passion 'K-9'

2011 CanAm Spyder RT Limited (Ours)

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

I guess I forgot to answer the posted question. We don't talk about the cost, it costs exactly what it costs. It does feel like death by 1000 cuts, some days, but one must soldier on. There's only one alternative to rising costs of living, and we're not ready for that.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

2 hours ago, Darryl&Rita said:

There's only one alternative to rising costs of living, and we're not ready for that.

Wise words for such a young feller.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

On 6/8/2022 at 3:56 PM, mr. cob said:

Howdy All,

At my age, I refuse to let the cost of fuel stop me from enjoying myself.  YES, I am upset with the cost of fuel but if the choice is to enjoy my life at a COST or sit home and brood about what might have been, I am filling the darn tank, burning it, killing the planet and endangering the childern.  I know some folks can't have this attitude and that life is a struggle which the high cost of fuel is severely hurting, remember who did this to you when the time comes.

Dave

Amen, Dave!!

Av8r3400
Thunderstruck - 2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift
Slick - 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry