AC Fan Stopped Working

SuiteSuccess

Got home yesterday from trip and noticed AC fan not working.  Didn’t have time to troubleshoot but will soon.  My first thought is blown fuse but what else should I consider?

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Presume this is your RV.  Was the breaker tripped, was the compressor running?  Fan motors and capacitors do go out.

Let us know what brand A/C you have,

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Mine stopped (Dometic reverse cycle). Could hear the compressor running/stopped/running but no cooling. Inside fan working. Wasp nest blocking the circ fan on the rooftop unit....................................

You'd have to see the movie to understand..........

Sorry, not enough information provided by me.  This is the fan in my truck.  2006 Volvo 780.  My bad.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Long shot but I had a plug by the AC compressor under the hood that would get kicked loose when I climbed up on the frame to wash the windshield. Rerouted wire slightly and took it out of the way.

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

1 hour ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Sorry, not enough information provided by me.  This is the fan in my truck.  2006 Volvo 780.  My bad.

Don't know about a 2006, but I worked on a late 90s Volvo that the fan wouldn't work.  Fuse was good, so I tested for power at the motor and had it there.  Determined that the fan motor was bad. Replaced it and it still didn't work.  Come to find out that they ran constant power to the motor and ran the ground through the switch to turn off and on.

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

Thanks everyone.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

What dennisvr said is true of the AC power.  12 VDC comes from Maxi Fuse 5, a 40 amp fuse.  One of those big babies.  That is feed down wire #150 and directly to the AC/Heater blower motor.  Ground is the controller.  The motor speed is determined by the selector switch (or auto climate control if equipped) feeding ground to one of four places.  Wire 161 feeds ground directly to the fan motor for max speed.  Wire 155 is low, 159, and 156 are speeds between low and high.

I had to replace my fan motor some years back.  It was not that difficult.  Care should be taken with routing wires to prevent hitting the fan.  Now, as I remember, when I dropped the cover on the passenger side, the set of resistors that the speed control uses to control speed were right there.  Check voltage on 14-C for 12VDC.  Then check ground on 2-D with the selector to max air.  If those are there and the fan does not blow then the fan is likely bad.

You could jumper 12 VDC and ground to the motor but use large wires.  Fused at 40 amps, the fan will likely draw 20.

Schematics available if you need to see them.  

I might mention, though not relative to this discussion, one other control circuit that uses ground for control is the windshield wipers.  

Chet

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

6 minutes ago, NeverEasy said:

What dennisvr said is true of the AC power.  12 VDC comes from Maxi Fuse 5, a 40 amp fuse.  One of those big babies.  That is feed down wire #150 and directly to the AC/Heater blower motor.  Ground is the controller.  The motor speed is determined by the selector switch (or auto climate control if equipped) feeding ground to one of four places.  Wire 161 feeds ground directly to the fan motor for max speed.  Wire 155 is low, 159, and 156 are speeds between low and high.

I had to replace my fan motor some years back.  It was not that difficult.  Care should be taken with routing wires to prevent hitting the fan.  Now, as I remember, when I dropped the cover on the passenger side, the set of resistors that the speed control uses to control speed were right there.  Check voltage on 14-C for 12VDC.  Then check ground on 2-D with the selector to max air.  If those are there and the fan does not blow then the fan is likely bad.

You could jumper 12 VDC and ground to the motor but use large wires.  Fused at 40 amps, the fan will likely draw 20.

Schematics available if you need to see them.  

I might mention, though not relative to this discussion, one other control circuit that uses ground for control is the windshield wipers.  

Chet

Thanks Chet.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Thank heavens was just fuse.  All’s working now.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

30 minutes ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Thank heavens was just fuse.  All’s working now.

Be aware, that fuse was doing it's life mission, and nonchalantly replacing it will likely result in another death in the future. Time to check over the wiring harness for chafes, scrapes, and rub marks.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

C'mon Darryl, you haven't met Carl.  He's so lucky, it was probably a defective fuse.  It only lasted 16 years.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Carl, fuses don't blow for the heck of it.  They are there to protect the wiring from overheating and protect you from a fire caused by something like a short circuit or bad load device.  When a 15 amp fuse blows folks often just put in a larger fuse.  Bad idea!  There is a good possibility your fan motor is drawing more current than it did originally.  This can be caused by brushes wearing out, bearings worn or dry and needing lubrication/replacement or obstruction of the squirrel cage fan movement (to list a few).  That blown fuse could very well be a warning of things to come.

Edited by RandyA

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

Thanks Randy and Darryl.  Point taken.  Will investigate further within my skill level (which is limited electrically).

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Carl,

What was the fuse number.  The stuff I sent you earlier was Gen I info and would not apply to you (I think).  I looked at the Gen II schematics and there is a lot of difference.  My guess is that the fuse is the Climate Control Fuse, F47, 30 amp.  That feeds the "Blower Control" unit and I can't find a blow-up of it.  

If you let me know the Fuse # and type of fuse I will tell you how to check the DC current draw with your DC clamp-on meter.  

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

5 hours ago, NeverEasy said:

Carl,

What was the fuse number.  The stuff I sent you earlier was Gen I info and would not apply to you (I think).  I looked at the Gen II schematics and there is a lot of difference.  My guess is that the fuse is the Climate Control Fuse, F47, 30 amp.  That feeds the "Blower Control" unit and I can't find a blow-up of it.  

If you let me know the Fuse # and type of fuse I will tell you how to check the DC current draw with your DC clamp-on meter.  

Pdf from Volvo customer portal for 2006 Volvo.

Hope this helps,

Ken....

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nwXYZSypcOPRhWJPBQHSjgNnYUatgvHV/view?usp=sharing

IMG_856.png.ae22d1dc2b12f9fb806b4e17121ee0b0.png

2017 DRV Fullhouse JX450

2020 Volvo VNR 42-640, D13, 455hp, Ishift, 189"wb, factory single, ET Junior Hitch @ 195", Jacklopee, Directlink

2016 GMC 3500 Denali DRW, CC, LB, Curt 25k, Sold

1 hour ago, hatrack said:

Pdf from Volvo customer portal for 2006 Volvo.

Hope this helps,

Ken....

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nwXYZSypcOPRhWJPBQHSjgNnYUatgvHV/view?usp=sharing

Thanks 

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Carl, to give you some help, the foot bone is connected to the ankle bone, the ankle bone is connected to the leg bone and the leg bone is connected to the hip bone. Forget all about trying anything to do with electrical components.

Like Clint once said, A man has to know his limitations.... 😎

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

9 hours ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

Carl, to give you some help, the foot bone is connected to the ankle bone, the ankle bone is connected to the leg bone and the leg bone is connected to the hip bone. Forget all about trying anything to do with electrical components.

Like Clint once said, A man has to know his limitations.... 😎

Haha.  I learned that long ago when I looked in the mirror and realized I really had NO resemblance to Brad Pitt. 🤣

2017 DRV 39DBRS3