Problems Getting Towed

ChaseTheRide

Blew an upper radiator hose coming out of Albuquerque on Saturday.  After 5 hours CoachNet could not find anyone in the area to tow the Volvo and 43' tow hauler.  I stated the truck will run long enough if disconnect the 5th wheel if needed. I was told the unit was to heavy about 20K each truck an rig for a little over 40k.  

Anyone else run into this type of issue?  We ran back to Colorado Springs, got our 1 ton and get the the rig to a campground and are waiting for CoachNet again to get a tow for just the Volvo.  

2000 Volvo 770

2022 Momentum 397TH-R

2016 Smart Fourtwo

2018 HD Road Glide Ultra

Why worry about a tow, when all you need is a rad hose and some coolant? We've used a taxi to hotshot parts before.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Coach Net is really for RVs, NOT commercial HDTs (which is what our rigs actually are). HDTs have their share of breakdowns so, there are LOTS of TRUE Heavy Duty tow trucks and mobile service trucks out there. As Darryl mentioned, you needed BASIC parts / fluids. Whether you call for them, get them yourself or, have a HD wrecker / HD Service truck bring them to you, you DO have choices that can get you rolling again. It may take several hours but it is "doable". While waiting, at least you have your "home" readily available.

I have Good Sam Platinum and the found a tow truck for me in West Memphis, AR. They towed my Volvo with Smart loaded, and trailer to Tom Sawyer RV Park. I then parked the trailer and unloaded the Smart. Then they towed the truck to the Kenworth dealer in Memphis, TN. This was all done on a Saturday before Easter Sunday.

ShortyO

4 hours ago, jkoenig24 said:

Coach Net is really for RVs, NOT commercial HDTs (which is what our rigs actually are).

Excuse me John, but we are not commercial at all.  If we were, we wouldn't be legal doing what we do.  Many of us carry documentation to prove we aren't commercial to avoid unpleasant roadside chats with un or mis-informed officers.

There are many towing services capable of towing our rigs.  Likely more than can tow a big class A.  However, we've found out the hard way, using the wrong words when speaking to the provider can make or break the service.  DO NOT refer to the unit as a "semi" or "commercial truck".  Simply state that the rig weighs (fill in the blank) so please send a tow vehicle capable to handle it.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

When we required a tow truck for our MH, Good Sam could not locate anyone willing to accept their rates.

I simply searched locally for HDT wrecker service, and one stood out. i called them, explained my situation, then called GS ERS again and requested a supervisor. She said that HDT service was on their list but the lowly computer operator was searching for the lowest price. We agreed that HDT service was the only one equipped to tow large vehicles. Then she called them and approved the tow. Then explained that the computer-operators only know to read what is on their screen when they receive a call.

Actually the HDT wrecker service sent 2 wreckers, a singl-axle to tow our 40' MH out of the RV park and a tri-axle wrecker to tow our MH to Cummins Great Plains.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

11 hours ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Why worry about a tow, when all you need is a rad hose and some coolant? We've used a taxi to hotshot parts before.

Because this happened Saturday afternoon and the hose is 3 days out.  Like leaving your truck on the side of the road for 4 days?

2000 Volvo 770

2022 Momentum 397TH-R

2016 Smart Fourtwo

2018 HD Road Glide Ultra

Some good info thanks.  Guess I have not been on this forum enough and did not realize the details you guys get into. 

Yes just the top radiator hose is all that will be needed hose and antifreeze.  Running a 2000 Volvo parts are not at every shop and in Albuquerque most things close by 3 on a Saturday and open again Monday.  The hose was off and we were chasing the parts while one of us waited at the truck in hopes of a tow.  No hose options at any parts stores, mobile repairs shops, or the 2 truck stops that offer services.  Hose has just enough bend and is short enough I could not cut the center out and put exhaust or other pipe in the middle to get it down the road.   

The one HDT wrecker CoachNet was able to get to return their call on Saturday would not touch it due to being connected to RV.

It did get towed today finally so it's off the highway.  I should have hose and both thermostats to install tomorrow.  Figure not knowing conditions of thermostats and if one stuck that could have blown the hose.  Also figured no antifreeze at that level so now is a good time to change them (just recently bought the truck). 

Lesson learned call HDT wreckers from neighboring cities also.  These guys are use to being limited in numbers and will travel an hour.  Our came from Grants, NM about an hour away. The wrecker stated they would have come out Saturday if they were called.  So one might call CoachNet or other services and give them first shot however like stated above they are looking for lowest price.  Get on the phone and call around while you wait, if you find someone call back the service provider and let them know the contact info.

2000 Volvo 770

2022 Momentum 397TH-R

2016 Smart Fourtwo

2018 HD Road Glide Ultra

On 3/30/2022 at 3:16 AM, jenandjon said:

Just wrap it with Teflon tape and then duct tape. It will hold for a while. 

That more than likely would have got me off the road.  Never thought of that and have both with me.  Thanks will remember this for next time.

2000 Volvo 770

2022 Momentum 397TH-R

2016 Smart Fourtwo

2018 HD Road Glide Ultra

• 2 weeks later...

I am replacing my upper and lower hose soon.  You are right, finding the parts is not easy.  My Volvo dealer had none and closest available in stock was Denver….I live in East Tennessee.  Ended up ordering online from Class 8 Trucks if I recall.

Edited by SuiteSuccess

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

23 hours ago, jenandjon said:

Having extra rad hoses and fan belt on hand is a good idea. 

i always have at least 2 rolls of "Rescue Tape" in my toobox JIC a radiator or heater hose springs a leak. It can withstand 500°F and 8,000 Volts per layer.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Any heavy duty wrecker is capable of towing our rigs and trailer. Commercial tractor trailer combos weigh much more than we do. I have used Coachnet twice with no issues. Tell them what your "truck" and trailer weigh and tell then you need a heavy duty wrecker. When all else fails, call the wrecker yourself and let them negoiate with Coachnet.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo