Big Rigs Best Bets

Av8r3400

I'd never heard of it, so clicked on one of the sites marked "available here".  I chose one in Kerrville, TX, since we like that part of the country.  That example happens to be a pretty fancy park, just off I-10.catering to larger motorhomes.  I didn't check any others.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Not sure about this one but be aware that most of the RV community considers a Class A as a "big rig" and the people in this forum think "big rigs" are 70 feet plus in length and that a class A is a small unit to drive.

Edited by GeorgiaHybrid

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

3 hours ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

Not sure about this one but be aware that most of the RV community considers a Class A as a "big rig" and the people in this forum think "big rigs" are 70 feet plus in length and that a class A is a small unit to drive.

CORRECT!  I've seen it the book in other campground stores and looked at it.  Its geared more toward the Class A bus crowd.

Jim's Adventures

Old Spacecraft.... Who knows whats next

We have been using Big Rigs online and the book for several years.  It is great.  It is not geared to Class As specifically.  It simply gives the dimensions of those sites they consider "big".  They give directions and suggestions for which sites to choose based on length.  We also use the Resource Guide RV site, too.

Using either source, we still open Google Maps and use the satellite view to look at turns and site length.  Google has tools to put in a start point and measure to another point.  That has been discussed here and at HDT rallies. 

The Big Rig folks will take suggestions for input (we have made some) but will only add them after they survey the RV park.

The only drawback I have heard is that if you forget your password, they will send it back to you in a open email.  Therefore, do not use a generic password that you use anywhere else.  Then change the password of Big Rigs if you have to request it sent to you.

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

We bought the Big Rigs Best Bets book the first year we started full-timing. Since they only have listings for parks they have visited themselves, the pickings are slimmer than other sources. A lot of the parks in that book are Class A only, and more resort-like. We prefer more rustic, so I haven't opened it at all since that first year, and didn't renew my online subscription. Not worth it for us.

I use multiple other sources to find places to camp starting with recreation.gov and ReserveAmerica (for state parks), and then I research using campgroundreviews.com, Campendium, etc. And LOTS of Google Maps and their measuring feature.

Another useful site is CampsitePhotos - sometimes a site that looks perfect and long enough will show something in the picture that makes it a no-go for us. Like it's long enough, but the flat part is at the top of a hill and only 20' long. Or we think we can "hang over" the back end, but the photo shows a sharp hill at the back. That's hard to see with Google.

0509211517a-tiny.jpg.0313fb3892d85eca18617732fa6d04ac.jpg

2007 Freightliner M2-112, 68' connected

2021 New Horizons Majestic 45' toyhauler

2001 Kawasaki Concours

2007 Yamaha V-Star Classic

ALAKAZARCACOCTDEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMD

1 hour ago, nawaa said:

We bought the Big Rigs Best Bets book the first year we started full-timing. Since they only have listings for parks they have visited themselves, the pickings are slimmer than other sources. A lot of the parks in that book are Class A only, and more resort-like. We prefer more rustic, so I haven't opened it at all since that first year, and didn't renew my online subscription. Not worth it for us.

I use multiple other sources to find places to camp starting with recreation.gov and ReserveAmerica (for state parks), and then I research using campgroundreviews.com, Campendium, etc. And LOTS of Google Maps and their measuring feature.

Another useful site is CampsitePhotos - sometimes a site that looks perfect and long enough will show something in the picture that makes it a no-go for us. Like it's long enough, but the flat part is at the top of a hill and only 20' long. Or we think we can "hang over" the back end, but the photo shows a sharp hill at the back. That's hard to see with Google.

Thank you for the helpful replies!

I think I'll pass on this one...

Av8r3400
Thunderstruck - 2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift
Slick - 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

Don't know where some of the above info is coming from so I went to the on-line site ($20).  I looked in several states and did not see one that said Class A only.  I did find one in Indiana that was a Cummins Employee campground or for anyone with a Cummins in their rig.  They do state if the site may be "adult oriented" or "family oriented" as it applies to those CGs.  Here are three samples of info I pulled up and copied here.  Note the Roanoke entry,  that sounds like a CG one of us would not want to use, nor would any Class A.

Don't need the book.  With a hot spot, we have access almost anywhere.

Big Rigs is just another useful tool.  

MEMPHIS AREA, Tennessee:The Mississippi River is the focal point here and the majority of the sites are 100 feet or better. You’ll have a front row seat in partially paved sites #67 thru 75. In the second row - sites #55 thru 62 (#55 is paved). Also in this row is a paved 75 footer - #65. In the third row - #40 thru 53 (#40, 42 & 53 are partially paved). The section on the south side has spaces in the 100 foot range with the river to the rear. Sixty feet of the pad is paved at sites #92 thru 100. If you are a coach you may face the river and run your hookups to the patio side of your rig. The next row over from the river are 120 foot sites #80 thru 89. FF: Any site listed except #67, 73 & 75. Wi-Fi. Paved entrance road. Call for reservations during the months of April and May to insure opening/availability.

Deer Run:  A state park type setting on 200 acres. Section A might be the best choice...sites #330 and 331 are 150 feet with the lake on your patio side while #332 is 110 feet along with 333, 335 & 336 at 140 feet. In the 70-80 range area back-ins #300 thru 309. Over in Section B are #6 & 7 at 120 feet while #4 & 5 are in the 150 foot range. Back-in #80 is 70 feet, #9 - 65 feet and we were advised #17 thru 20 were going to be lengthened. FF: All sites listed. Wi-Fi. Secured entry.

ROANOKE, West Virginia

Here you will be situated in a pristine setting along the lake. The trade off is you will need respectable driving skills to get into your 30 amp back-in site. Site #10 is a 100 footer with a lake view, while #6, 14, 18, 21 & 22 also have views of the lake but are in the 40-45 foot range. For a 60 footer try #24 thru 28. Wi-Fi in lodge area only. Paved streets and sites. No laundry. Also 190 room lodge. Arnold Palmer 18 hole golf course. Go off season. Open 3/1 - mid-November.

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

21 hours ago, NeverEasy said:

I did find one in Indiana that was a Cummins Employee campground or for anyone with a Cummins in their rig.

If you are talking about Ceraland in Columbus, IN it used to be for Cummins employees but it's now a campground for anyone, doesn't have to be Cummins powered. I've been there with a Cat and my son with his Detroit.

Edited by somewhereinusa

My bus build http:/somewhereinusa.x10.mx

CERALAND is in our back yard.  Anyone can go.  Very family oriented, with indoor basketball courts, any type of sport field you can think of, shooting areas, go-kart track (bring your own cart), etc.  It's a bit tight for our rigs, but do-able.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net