Fuel transfer block between tanks

ARGO

So I have this fuel drip from the block where the lines come together between the frame. It's on a little bracket above the driveshaft. I'm gonna' pull it off & open it up, looks like a plate on one side. Anybody fool with this? Any experience with what's inside?

You'd have to see the movie to understand..........

Might be a plain Tee, or it's a fuel splitter. A Tee is empty inside, while a splitter has a shuttle to send returned fuel to the tank with the lower level.

29-060305_l.jpg

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

I took mine apart once. There was a o ring in there that when I reinstalled it it leaked. I pinched the edge.

That o ring goes in a grove that is not circular, but still is a o ring. I did not have the correct size in my kit. Went to the hardware store to find one. This is a long shot on the size. I think it was 1/16” by 1 1/4” diameter.

I think I ended up putting a new valve in as the fuel line came in at a 90 degrees on our 2000 Volvo.  And caused it to leak at the pipe threads. I noticed a newer Volvo had the fuel line come straight in to the front of the valve.

Hope this helps,   Vern

2 hours ago, ARGO said:

So I have this fuel drip from the block where the lines come together between the frame. It's on a little bracket above the driveshaft. I'm gonna' pull it off & open it up, looks like a plate on one side. Anybody fool with this? Any experience with what's inside?

Mine was dripping a couple years ago so I just had mine replaced at a mom and pop truck shop. The part wasn't expensive as I recall. Never thought to take the part and tinker with it as I was relatively new to big trucks and didn't know much about them.

OK, took the little bugger apart. FYI, it is a fuel splitter block with a small rubber valve to direct return flow to each tank. The plate covering this has a square ring like an O ring in a recess in the block. That's what was leaking on mine. Cleaned it up, "helped" it a little with some RTV sparingly applied & we'll hope for the best. Tks for the replies!

I would take it back apart and clean up that rtv.  It doesn't play nice with diesel fuel.  There are many other products that are suitable.  Permatex makes several.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

It used to be a $20 part. Not sure how much it's gone up in the last 3 years. The O ring was under a dollar, and is indeed round in every direction. Ours had what looked like a hairline crack, when we were suffering from fuel issues. When in doubt, replace it.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the Navy taught me "When in doubt, do without".

Tks for all the advice, but the RTV was outside the square. Shouldn't really need anything at all, ring was good. Just made me feel better where outside of the ring plate touched the main housing. 

Did you get the ring from Volvo? I'm surprised they could 1) be bothered, and 2) didn't want to $ell you the whole thing

Disk brake calipers use what's commonly referred to as "square" o-rings, though they're really not quite square in cross section, but rather trapezoidal .  This is what provides the spring, or "roll back" to release the pressure on the pads.

Lots of square section orings in the hydraulic world too.  

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Be cautions that you are sourcing seals or o-rings that are made of a material that will stand up to the liquid being used.  Not all of them are able to work with say, brake fluid or diesel.  When getting them at hardware stores, they may carry general purpose that could fail in use with certain fluids.  Hate to do that job again!

Marcel