Starlink & US Broadband Policy

Zulu

Yes it is

Edited by Ranger Smith

Steve and Joy

Amateur Radio Operator WZ1T . . .  Flex 6600 M,  Flex PGXL, Flex TGXL, 

2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . Lincoln MKX Toad

The Kids . . . Yogi the Yorkie  passed 10/20/2018. . . Cookie the Chihuahua passed 11/30/2017 . . . Cooper the Aussie Doodle passed 3/10/2020

Abbie  and Abel  the Doodles . . . Brother and Sister Born 02/02/2020   . . . Lucy the Yorkie . . . and Axel  . . .The Bernie Doodle

Where We Are Now

After watching the video, I agree with most of the comments.  The one that best sums it up is "This looks suspiciously like a FUD hit piece sponsored by traditional telecom providers."

At our place in Florida the very best Internet connection that I can get is DSL at 25 Mb/s down and 1.5 Mb/s up.  That requires two bonded phone lines.  Due to a shortage of lines, that level of service is no longer available.  The best that can be obtained currently is 10/0.75.  There is no cable or 5G cell service at all.  The only other option is a wisp that also tops out at 10 Mb/s at a much higher price.  The sad thing is that our place is within the city limits of the second largest city in the county.  Admittedly, it is a small city in a rural county (it is not hard to be the second largest when there are only two cities in the county) :D

I believe that Starlink will offer a better connection in an area no one else wants to serve with true broadband.  Needless to say I am seriously considering switching to Starlink once it becomes available in our area.  It will be even better once Starlink becomes mobile and we can take it with us while traveling. 

Safe Travels...

Edited by k4rs

Roger, K4RS and Toni, K1TS
Amateur Radio Operators - Motorcycle Riders (Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra)

Fulltime from 2003-2016 - Now longtime RVers

On the road, living the dream...
Ford F-250 Super Duty 7.3 liter diesel and Forest River XLR Toyhauler. 

Position report via amateur radio

On 9/8/2021 at 8:08 AM, k4rs said:

After watching the video, I agree with most of the comments.  The one that best sums it up is "This looks suspiciously like a FUD hit piece sponsored by traditional telecom providers."

I disagree. 

The comment most appropriate was in the video, that this country has screwed up broadband deployment.  And it was done by the officials we elected to public office.  Here is a perspective from the process on the "ground" as they say in Washington, DC.

It is no surprise that the Indian tribe is in Washington state, which is one of the hostile states for municipal internet.

I live in a county where  in the late 1990's the Bonneville Power Administration (BPA) DIRECTED the county owned utilities in eastern Washington to lay fiber optic lines between their facilities and the BPA offices in Portland, Oregon.  The Northwest power grid is controlled by the Federal government through the Bonneville Power Administration.

Anyway the county PUD employees as they were laying the fiber optic lines noticed that they were going past schools, local government offices, hospitals, and others that could use high-speed internet.  Since the county PUD was already providing electricity, water, sewer, and other public services it wasn't long before the decision was made to lay the fiber optic lines to the owners of those lines.....the taxpayers of the county.

Then it hit the fan. 

It seems those telecommunication companies, while not wanting to provide broadband to eastern Washington also did NOT want the local county government doing it!! 

So the political party of big government based in western Washington said that "there are some things government should NOT do....like provide internet services".  That is the quote from the Governor of Washington.  The quote by the Speaker of the House from the political party of small government based in eastern Washington said " it is OUR government and we can do what we want with it".

The political compromise was that the local counties could provide wholesale internet to county residents but not retail internet, even though they provided retail electricity, water, and other services.  Those counties that owned dams on the Columbia River moved into the 21st century.  The other counties were left behind.

It gets worse with the National Broadband plan. 

In 2010, the Federal government set up a program to provide high speed broadband services to communities.  At this point, the county provided high speed broadband to about 70% of county residents.  It was expensive to build,  at that point the county had invested in broadband 125 MILLION DOLLARS for 75,000 county residents.  Some of which are to young to even type the password on a keyboard!!

The county applied for a Federal grant to connect remaining county residents to the fiber optic system.  The Federal grant was in the neighborhood of 25 MILLION DOLLARS.

The county utility district did an analysis of the terms and conditions by the Federal government and discovered that it was more cost-efficient to turn the money BACK to the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT and build out the remainder of the system without Federal HELP!!!

Think about that.  The Federal government gives you 25 MILLION DOLLARS, but it is going to cost you MORE to accept the money. 

Is that similar to receiving a email from Nigeria???

That really was not a surprise since the former Governor of Washington State was the Cabinet Secretary responsible for the program.

The broadband policy in this country is a real mess and getting worse.

I might be with FDR on this one.  Set up a RURAL BROADBAND AGENCY similar to the RURAL ELECTRICFICATION AGENCY and just lay fiber optics lines throughout this country.  

Give first option to the county governments to operate the system within county lines.  Otherwise, sell it to the telecom's.

Full disclosure, I have had fiber-optic broadband for 20 years now and I have on order Starlink for my off-grid, off-ALL-TELECOMMUNICATION service for my second home in the county that is without electricity or broadband.

Do I trust StarLink??  Nope, well as little as I trust ATT, Verizon, Sprint, and Ziply Fiber.  But I must say, my trust comes as close to ZERO as possible as I learned in math class.

I will do fine no matter what....I cannot say the same for those in the "middle of somewhere" in the western US.

I would give first priority to those areas that are NOT infected by "urban covid refugees".  

Edited by Vladimir

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

I do not disagree with you.  Some (most?) of our broadband policies need to be improved.  However, claiming that Starlink is "too risky" to invest public funds is pure bovine excrement.

Safe Travels...

Roger, K4RS and Toni, K1TS
Amateur Radio Operators - Motorcycle Riders (Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra)

Fulltime from 2003-2016 - Now longtime RVers

On the road, living the dream...
Ford F-250 Super Duty 7.3 liter diesel and Forest River XLR Toyhauler. 

Position report via amateur radio

7 hours ago, k4rs said:

I do not disagree with you.  Some (most?) of our broadband policies need to be improved.  However, claiming that Starlink is "too risky" to invest public funds is pure bovine excrement.

Safe Travels...

I never said that!!  But Starlink and Musk have had plenty of public funds.

This country needs a broadband policy that provides broadband to the American people.  We are going on 25 years plus on the goal and billions of dollars later and are getting no closer to this goal.

Just build it, like the Interstate Highway System, and put it in public ownership.  I think the Corporations have failed.  

Vladimr Steblina

usbackroads.blogspot.com

22 minutes ago, Zulu said:

Officially, not yet, but that hasn't stopped some people.

I've seen that, but nowhere in that vid could I find anything about traveling.  I would think DTV may be able to rescue its failing business if they could offer internet service with their existing dishes.  I know  I'd sign up.

Edited by hemsteadc

4 hours ago, hemsteadc said:

I've seen that, but nowhere in that vid could I find anything about traveling.  I would think DTV may be able to rescue its failing business if they could offer internet service with their existing dishes.  I know  I'd sign up.

DTV Internet from the existing sats won't happen because it's not technically possible. Satellite Internet service requires a one to one two-way communications channel for each active subscriber. Satellite TV service does not, nor are the satellites equipped to support it.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

On 9/12/2021 at 5:21 AM, folivier said:

"I would give first priority to those areas that are NOT infected by "urban covid refugees".  "

Just wondering what this statement means.

There has been a HUGE influx of tech people into "desirable" rural areas. 

They have plenty of funds to support community broadband, however, there are huge areas of the country where there is not enough capitol to finance or build out broadband without Federal government help.

I live in a "infected" county. 

The county does own two dams on the Columbia River and sells the excess electricity.   The electrical sales generated enough funds to spend 125 million dollars of county funds to build a county broadband system that reaches 70% of county residents.  It would be helpful to have funds to build out the system. 

However, there are parts of the country that really need the help.  The Great Plains, the Indian Reservations, rural Montana,  New Mexico, etc.

MicroSoft has offered to "help" my county.  Yeah, it is really popular with remote MicroSoft employees. But most of the county has had high speed broadband for over two decades now.  If you want to do remote work here, get StarLinks or move to a area served by the county broadband system.

Hopefully, the Federal government will recognize that other areas should get priority.

Edited by Vladimir

Vladimr Steblina

usbackroads.blogspot.com

On 9/13/2021 at 2:40 PM, hemsteadc said:

My local UDWIREMC offers high-speed internet with their electrical service. Dish offers me download service, but upload is dependent on hard phone lines-bummer, i still have copper phone line, fiber optic is not anticipated in my area.

I'm hoping tonights 100 Starlink satellite launch will put me in the coverage area.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

5 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

I'm hoping tonights 100 Starlink satellite launch will put me in the coverage area.

Only 51 laser equipped sats onboard last night's launch that will serve northern Canada and parts of northern Europe.

Dutch

On 9/14/2021 at 8:35 PM, Dutch_12078 said:

Only 51 laser equipped sats onboard last night's launch that will serve northern Canada and parts of northern Europe.

Well rats_. A few days ago it stated 100.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

21 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

Well rats_. A few days ago it stated 100.

Wherever that was stated was wrong. The most Starlink sats SpaceX has ever launched on a Falcon 9 has been 60. 

Dutch