Good year tires not so good Sorry this is so long but this is what it takes to buy Good year tires

climberbob

We got 6 new G670  Good year tires on our 2016 31s Hurricane in 2020 in July. He had a hard time finding 6 tires. The first time we took it out the RV vibrated so bad we couldn't even drive 65. I called him and said that he doesn't balance the back tires. So he would move the tires around and balance all the tires. He uses balance beads and not weights. We took the RV out again and it was better but there was still vibration going on. We took it back and he kept saying it was our RV and it need shocks. He drove it and said there was nothing wrong and that it was the road we were feeling. At this time I couldn't trust that he was balancing them right so I paid $300 to have the weights put on by someone else. He called us after he put the tires on said he took it for a drive and said it felt the same as before. I felt I had to prove to him it wasn't our RV so I broke down and had him put shocks on $1000. We took it out again and there was still vibration. It was now the end of the season and to call him in April. When April 2021 rolled around I decided to move each tire myself to find the bad tire. I moved tire 3 to the tire 1 location. It was great improvement. I drove it by myself and I though we had it. We took it out and my wife said that her side is bouncing so bad that it upsets her stomach. I could not feel it on my side. But you could hear a sound of a tire out of round. I moved my good tire to her side and #6 to mine. Her side was better but mine was not. I moved #4 to mine still not good. Don't waste a hour calling Goodyear cause they will not help. They need a good year representative to tell them their tires are bad. The guy that sold me the tires told them that it was our RV that was the problem. He never thought that it was the tires that were bad. I called him and he said he was done with our RV. He did not want anything to do with it. That he went above and beyond the call of duty for us. I all most blew my top. Breathing breathing. I begged him to replace the bouncing tire just 1 tire. He said that he would. He said when he called good year and that he lied to them and told them it was out of round. He ordered the tire. We were going on a trip that weekend so I moved the last tire to my side. OMG this is the tire that started this whole thing. We couldn't even drive 65. So when I was at the campground I moved the bad tire to the back. I had that tire replaced by him $60. Told him about the bouncing tire and had that replaced 2 weeks later another $60. The RV is a lot better but still not as good as the old tires. I'm done moving them around. The RV at one time was bouncing so bad that you couldn't put your head on the couch while driving. I heard that Good year is no longer making the G670 tire any more. I think I know why. The lesson here is Good year will not help and that they rely on you to put the bad tires in the back. The only way to tell which tire is bad is if its the tire in front and on your side. The RV bounces more when pulling a car. When they balance a tire and say its round doesn't mean anything.

Edited by climberbob
miss spelling

• climberbob changed the title to Good year tires not so good Sorry this is so long but this is what it takes to buy Good year tires

If you have both balancing beads and weights it won't work, you have to have one or the other not both. On our last set of tires on our DRW we had a bad balancing job so I installed beads without removing the weights and it made it worse so I removed the weights and all was fine.

Denny 

Edited by D&J

Denny & Jami SKP#90175
Most Timing with Mac our Scottie, RIP Jasper our Westie
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 Gears
2003 HH Premier 35FKTG Home Base Nebraska

5 minutes ago, D&J said:

If you have both balancing beads and weights it won't work, you have to have one or the other not both. On our last set of tires on our DRW we had a bad balancing job so I installed beads without removing the weights and it made it worse so I removed the weights and all was fine.

Denny 

The beads were removed.

5 hours ago, D&J said:

Denny 

That statement is not true. I know it for a fact. What does happen often is the tire shop throws in a bag of balancing medium and doesn't tell the new tire with beads owner that it takes a bit of time for the bag to get punctured and the beads to spread out to where they are needed. 

I had that actually happen to me when I had new tires placed on one of my vehicles. I had them spin balance them, break one side and put in a portion of the beads. I didn't think I needed to tell them to break the bag before installing, but I guess I did. The first 15 miles were interesting, maybe because the tires and wheels were already balanced and it was just throwing the bag around inside intact. Everything smoothed out and all has been good with the set for several years. I do occasionally notice the beads when it's really cold, they seem to clump together for a bit and I feel it. Doesn't take long and it smooth sailing again. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

10 minutes ago, lappir said:

That statement is not true. I know it for a fact. What does happen often is the tire shop throws in a bag of balancing medium and doesn't tell the new tire with beads owner that it takes a bit of time for the bag to get punctured and the beads to spread out to where they are needed. 

I had that actually happen to me when I had new tires placed on one of my vehicles. I had them spin balance them, break one side and put in a portion of the beads. I didn't think I needed to tell them to break the bag before installing, but I guess I did. The first 15 miles were interesting, maybe because the tires and wheels were already balanced and it was just throwing the bag around inside intact. Everything smoothed out and all has been good with the set for several years. I do occasionally notice the beads when it's really cold, they seem to clump together for a bit and I feel it. Doesn't take long and it smooth sailing again. 

Rod

Maybe it's because your tires were already balanced properly, in my case they weren't and so the beads and wheel weights didn't work together. Anything I put tires on now have beads with no weights.

Denny

Denny & Jami SKP#90175

10 minutes ago, D&J said:

Maybe it's because your tires were already balanced properly, in my case they weren't and so the beads and wheel weights didn't work together. Anything I put tires on now have beads with no weights.

Denny

I put about 6000 miles on the RV and the vibration never went away. Before the first new tire you couldn't even lay down and put you head on the couch the vibration was so bad. After that tire you could but there was still vibration. The 2nd new tire it was gone.

It sounds to me like you have a tire dealer problem, rather than the tire company. All of them work through their dealers and I have had good experiences with Goodyear times as well as several other brands but with them all, the key is the dealer you do business with.  We used to have a class A and did have good service from G670 tires, but when we got our replacement set put on I took the RV to a shop that does spin balancing for trucks and RVs. They found that 1 tire was not round and contacted Goodyear and got the tire replaced at no cost to me. That was quite a few years ago but we currently have a travel trailer with Goodyear Endurance tires and have been quite pleased with them and with the dealer support. Our present tire dealer is Discount Tire. If it were me, I would visit a different tire dealer. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

With the experience I've had with GY G614 G tires and GY G114 17.5 H tires I wont own another set.

Denny

Denny & Jami SKP#90175

1 hour ago, D&J said:

With the experience I've had with GY G614 G tires and GY G114 17.5 H tires I wont own another set.

Denny

What was the experience?  I had G114s on one 5er and the current one has six G614s.  I have not had any issues with any of them.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

1 hour ago, TXiceman said:

What was the experience?  I had G114s on one 5er and the current one has six G614s.  I have not had any issues with any of them.

Ken

On our first set of G614 tires one had its tread completely come off causing trailer damage, second set I found another one going the same way before it came apart. Two of our G114 tires out of four had broken belts before they were 4 years old, for the price they should last longer than that, we went with Saliuns for less than half the price and will replace them every 4 years and be money ahead. 

Denny

Denny & Jami SKP#90175

9 hours ago, D&amp;J said:

On our first set of G614 tires one had its tread completely come off causing trailer damage, second set I found another one going the same way before it came apart. Two of our G114 tires out of four had broken belts before they were 4 years old, for the price they should last longer than that, we went with Saliuns for less than half the price and will replace them every 4 years and be money ahead. 

Denny

X2.  When I was actively farming, we had well over 100 tires on our vehicles.  Over the years I had several tire failures.  ALL were either Goodyear or Firestone.  Never a Michelin, Bridgestone, Toyo, etc.  I now have Sailuns on the trailer and my past two road tractors had Sailuns as well.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio@yahoo.com

The only failures I have had have been Goodyear. They were replaced by Goodyear at no cost to me and they fixed the damage to the trailer. 

I was concerned about the tires that came on my Spacecraft and was planning on changing them out quickly. Other things happened and this year while in Iowa I had my tire dealer take a look at them. His thought "They have good tread, there is no weather checking, I'd run them." I did, but suggested taking the inside dual and putting them out into the potential sun exposure that they really haven't seen and when we did I found the flat spot with cords showing that neither of us had seen. It happened when I was leaving for my trip. One of the brakes didn't release and I thought dragging on the street would help. DON'T DO IT. Is my lesson. As soon as you see a tire not turning stop, jack up the axle and tap the drum with a hammer until it turns. Two out of the eight tires on my trailer are now new. 

I also decided to go with the least expensive tires available. I will never "Wear them out." They will age out or get weather checked and need replacement. They will then go to a local farmer where my tire dealer is and will last a long time hauling grain out of the field to the bin. The farmer will be happy and hopefully so will I. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Years ago we purchased a 5er with OEM Goodyear tires.  On one trip we blew ALL 4 tires.  After we returned home, I went to Discount Tire and they told me there was a silent recall on those tires.  I have no idea what that is but Goodyear paid for the significant damage to our 5er and new tires after they examined the old tires.  While Goodyear did pay it certainly didn't atone for all of the tire changing on the side of the road and trying to purchase tires just to get home.  Their tires endangered the lives of the people around us and our life.  I don't buy Goodyear tires!

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

Recently put tires on wife's Durango. Dealer asked Goodyear or Bridgestone. I stated Bridgestone so fast he was taken back. Asked me why. I stated we full time rv and had bad experience with Goodyear. He stated oh, understand.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

One positive thing from running GY tires I've learned what to look for before one of my tires self destructs and damages our trailer.

Denny

Denny & Jami SKP#90175

4 hours ago, D&amp;J said:

One positive thing from running GY tires I've learned what to look for before one of my tires self destructs and damages our trailer.

Denny

(IMO) There is *NO* positive thing from running GY tires  !!

The "experiences" of hundreds of (mfg in the USA) Marathon tire failures  (multiply "hundreds" by the number of tires on the vehicles) over the years - as well as at least one lawsuit GY lost which was not sealed ("GY Kept Tire Problems Quiet", SP Times) - should make the brand choice by a prospective buyer an easy one!

Well - actually there is a "positive thing" - if you can call it that - in most instances, GY would replace the defective tires with free replacement/s (if the owner saved the carcass)  - and *maybe* pay for repairs the failure caused to owner's RV.  Unfortunately, no compensation for "down time".

The GY Marathon Failure thread ran for *years* on the Airstream forum (and can still be found there).

If you are a GY "fan", GY Endurance tires are receiving good reviews.  Roll them bones!..😉

Our Monaco had Goodyear's mounted when we bought the rig . They were one of the first things to be upgraded to Toyo's .

The dealer had told us that they were good tires ( the Goodyears ) . I had a hard time keeping the coach on the straight and narrow on our way home . I didn't need any more convincing that the dealer was full of it . 

Goes around , comes around .

• 2 weeks later...

Years ago (maybe 2007?) I was at the Pomona, CA RV show.  The Jayco 5th's had a factory tech there to answer questions.  I had recently switched from the factory supplied "D" rated GY tires to "E" rated Michelin XPS Ribs.

Couldn't resist asking the tech (mind you *not* a salesperson) why the factory equipped a 34' 5th with  "D" rated tires.

Ans: " Bean counters.  Put out to bid. Minimum rating required to meet the published trlr specs". 

Sometimes an honest man is hard to find around an RV show/dealership/lot, etc.  (Did Mae West say that???)

😉

This thread sounds reminiscent of the Carlisle tire bashing 20 years ago.  Turned out most of the problems were from underinflation/overloading.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

3 hours ago, climberbob said:

I don't know about that. The tire minimum pressure is 80 psi. The max weigh per tire doesn't even meet that.  I keep it at 90 psi 

Carlisle Tire stated in their warranty if tires were not operated at sidewall maximum pressure the warranty was void. Most ST tire mfgrs. had the same thing.

Tire pressure charts are only published by a few ST tire mfgrs. due to the extreme sidewall stress encountered with tandem axle trailers.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961