Finally making a commitment

etcetera

I went for a long time trying to decide if I should get a 2500 Suburban and a TT. Ended up discarding that idea. Too much trouble. I did that before and never entirely liked it. Fine if you set it up and move twice a year, not very fun to hook it up once a week and towing is not fun either. 

Was occasionally thinking about class A as more cost-effective and sometimes about class B as the ultimate "Stealthy camping" type vehicle. In the end, decided that I wanted a Class C.

/sigh

I decided to focus on this 30' class C that's a Powerstroke. I am a bit worried as I never had a PSD before, I now nothing about them. 

Assuming my loan application goes through, and by talking to the dealership it appears it should, based on my credit score and a good down  payment.  Looks like I will be financing about 35K and thinking about either 24 to 36 month, not sure what the interest would be. Monthly payments look encouraging. 

If everything goes to the plan, and you know how life is. If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

I did not say it was an Econoline chassis, you made an assumption.

I don't want to share until I actually buy it.  Knock-knock on wood.

As explained, I am doing the financial thing now. If that goes through, I will have to make a relatively long trip.

Before the trip will have to edjumacate myself on PSD and how to change the spark plus in it (joke).

Edited by etcetera

2 hours ago, rpsinc said:

Powerstrokes dont have spark plugs

This is likely an E350 or E450, E standing for the Econoline style van chassis.  FYI

Could also be an F series based RV. They're rare, but out there. Shrug.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

It is indeed an F-series, I hate the econoline design. Makes zero sense to me.  Harder to service, plus as noted above, more noise. And 99% of what's available C-class wise is E-based.

Working on the financial aspect at this point.  Don't even know what rate they will offer.

1 hour ago, etcetera said:

. And 99% of what's available C-class wise is E-based.

From the Thor website:

All Class C Chassis Options:

First, let’s simply break down the different chassis options by Class C type:

2020-mor-ryde-sprinter-chassis-3q-kf.pngGas Powered:

Diesel Powered:

From Freedom Motorhomes:

Choose Your Chassis

Freedom Elite motorhomes are available in three different chassis, depending on your floor plan. A Ford® E-Series chassis comes standard on all models, other than the 24FE floor plan, with an optional Chevrolet® chassis on select floor plans. Those models have an 8,000-pound hitch for a car or trailer. The 24FE floor plan comes on a Mercedes-Benz® Sprinter chassis with a V-6 diesel engine and a 5,000-pound hitch.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I think I am going to back out of the deal (there is no deal, just negotiation at this point).

Their yelp reviews are awful, so is BBB:

https://www.yelp.com/biz/optimum-rv-ocala?osq=Optimum RV&start=10

The unit I was thinking about was this. From the distance, it looks Okay (but who knows what condition it's in).

The major "issue" with it is that the rear slide has been removed and heavily modified to be a toy hauler. So I don't know. The price is pretty low for a 2007 Isata, under 50K.  It's the distance and the abysmal reviews that scary me. I think I will keep looking.

https://www.optimumrv.com/product/used-2007-dynamax-isata-f-550-series-1387241-17

I don't live far from there and stopped in once to take a look at a rig.  I forget just what it was I was looking at but I do remember it was absolutely trashed, beyond any redemption, and the salesman kept up with the "everything is fine, just needs a little sprucing up" routine.  If I think long enough the details will surface but it doesn't matter, avoid that place like the plaque.  I won't even stop out of curiosity if they have something interesting.  I can't imagine ever actually doing business with them.

Interesting. Thanks for your feedback and the reality check.

If you drive by them, could you please stop by and take a look at that Dynamax Isata they have? Don't go out of your way but just out of curiosity.  Kind of a reality check.

Or do you think it's not even worth messing with them at all?

I don't think it has any resale value due to the heavy modification done to it. Re: slide removal

15 minutes ago, etcetera said:

I don't think it has any resale value due to the heavy modification done to it. Re: slide removal

Never mind resale value, it's already being resold. The modifications, along with the Ford 6.0 engine will turn most noses away. Speaking of noses, I'd expect there to be some water damage, due to the mounting of the lift ram and the curved walls that Dynamax uses. If not now, then future. If you think you can make it work for you, go for it, but go in with your eyes open.

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication

Please e-mail us here.

That model uses a 6.7L Powerstroke, not 6.0.

what I mean by resale value - Assuming I get and if for some reason I decide to sell a few years later, I won't be able to due to that significant modification. That explains why they can't sell it even with a discount.

It kind of looked Okay at first but I am going to pursue something else due to the above, and their interesting reputation.

Edited by etcetera

18 hours ago, Kirk W said:

From the Thor website:

From Freedom Motorhomes:

This doesn't tell me anything I don't already know, the 99% figure was just a guesstimate. 

I don't care for the Sprinter  chassis either. Due to design and I think it's overpriced.

I think a Class C based on a F450 or F550 would be ideal. 

But at one point in Class C history the powers-that-be decided to base them on a E450 and E350. Probably because you have less of a snout on the front end, so you can have a longer structure built on it without increasing the overall vehicle length.  That makes sense in the city and zero sense for an RV in the middle of nowhere.

Full size transits don't have a doghouse which makes servicing them a nightmare.

The downsides are many. E-series is considerably more difficult to maintain, even with doghouse, access isn't easy. Definitely not like just popping a hood. Some mechanics charge an extra 30% on top of their rates to work on E-series, some are a horror to work on. To  do injectors in a 6.0 or 7.3 van you need to drop the engine 8" just to get them out. No thank you. 
With a F-series front end, or the Dodge equivalent, there would be more room in the cab, less noise (and heat), and far easier to access the engine.

Remember in Nomadland, her van broke down and they could not fix it without an exorbitant repair fee... A vehicle that's not DIY-capable kind of goes against the whole lifestyle vibe, which is freedom and independence and self-reliance and sometimes you have to deal with a repair in the middle of nowhere, OR call for (very expensive) help and get towed. I can't fix a F350 with a shoestring and chewing gum either but a lot more likely to given the right parts, I know how to do a water pump on a 7.5L Ford for example. With an E-series, I would just open the hood and stare at it, then call a tow truck.  Which is nice if you have the financial means and cell phone reception and can afford the downtime - and what if you don't.

I get it, accessing the rest of the vehicle is easier with an E-series front, versus a more constrained F-series but even that problem has been solved with a hybrid front, looks like an F-series but has access like an E-series. For example look at Isata.

Edited by etcetera

2 hours ago, etcetera said:

That model uses a 6.7L Powerstroke, not 6.0.

Nope. The 6.0 left the table in 2007. It was replaced by the 6.4. Run away from either. The 6.7 didn't show up until 2011.

Please e-mail us here.

2 hours ago, etcetera said:

Half of the house is behind the rear wheel!!!

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Now you are getting me concerned. Re: PSD engines. Issues with 6.0L. 6.4L seems to be more reliable with 6.7L even more reliable. I wonder if I should get a gas 7.5L or V10 or whatever is the latest-greatest.

6.8L gasoline V10 seems like a better option - for me. 

Edited by etcetera

Agreed. The first three generations each had a "foible" that could leave you stranded. Any truck based C should be examined where the truck cab joins the house box, as any modern diesel is designed to be worked on with the truck cab removed. Any serious engine work, the cab and fenders come off.

Please e-mail us here.