Parking without title

Melissa Evans

Don't know if it applies for your state but I got a temporary plate from dmv when I went to register something because seller didn't fill out something on the title or didn't give it to me, 35 years ago so I dont remember exactly. Vermont doesn't title after 15 or 16 years so many vehicles without titles here. If I read correctly your vehicle is a 1992 so it can't be titled in Vermont but they will register it with no problem. I know that NY residents will register a untitled 16 year old vehicle in Vermont to get a legal registration then use the transferable registration to register it in NY and get a new title. And many states have a process to get a title if seller cant or won't produce one. 

In Florida they give you a paper tag, but even without that you should be able to drive it to a parking spot as long as you have the paperwork showing it is a new purchase in the extremely unlikely event you get stopped by a police officer. In other states I cannot say.

I am a full timer and use the Escapees SD address. I have purchased vehicles in ID, AZ and NE. The dealer gives me a paper temporary plate for the State of purchase that is attached to the vehicle. I then have 45 days to register and pay the sales tax in SD. I then can transfer to plate of the vehicle traded in to the new vehicle or SD mails me a new plate.  

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

Keep in mind she also said title not registration.  With proper paper work you can get a temporary tag yourself or in some cases a "one trip" tag to move a vehicle. You may not need a cleared title but would need something they will accept which could be as little as a bill of sale.

no title.. sounds fishy.

on her part? on the sellers? most likely there, and could be called a scam.

no matter no plates Not allowed on any public street, road, etc.

no title, seller could say rv was stolen, or they had sold her a stolen rv.

be nice if the poster would return.

• 1 month later...

The first 5th wheel I purchased was from a private seller and the title was at his lender. As soon as my money arrived at his bank he provided me with a bill of sale and I provided him with an address in which to have his lender to send the title. I then proceeded to hook up to the trailer and pull it  several miles to an RV park where I plugged it in overnight ( to charge up the depleted batteries) and then pulled it to a parking lot near my apartment to transfer my belongings into it. I then headed to my next location and finally to South Florida. Through the entire trip I expected to be pulled over at least once, but it never happened. I had the bill of sale in my glove box and a copy of the prior owners registration and a contact telephone number. I was North of Salt Lake City, UT at the start and West Palm Beach , Fl before the title and my license plates caught up with me. I made a few day stop in Iowa where I had new tires put on the trailer. 

I'm not saying you should do that, but..... This was many years ago and I no longer own the truck or trailer used in the event. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July.