Tires

bigredhdt

I was in the same position on another truck. Answer is YUP!

We've had one do a come-apart on freeway. It was not pretty and put a 2 day damper in our vacation. The damage from one tire was more than the cost of 4 new ones.

Robert & Lisa
'14 Keystone Fuzion 315 38' 5er

2015 Volvo VNL 670, D13, iShift 'The Tartis' (ours)

2013 Smart Fortwo Passion 'K-9'

2011 CanAm Spyder RT Limited (Ours)

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

Get rid of them. I am a big fan of the Hankook DL12 smart flex. But they are open shoulder. Some people dont like open shoulder.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

I agree with the flock.  At 12 yrs old they are time to be replaced.  It was hard for me to replace my 10 yr old tires that had 3/4 tread remaining.  I went with Sailun tires at 2/3 to 1/2 the price of Michelins or Bridgestone's and good reviews.  I figure they will last me for as long as I have the truck and still look good at the time I sell it.    

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

2 hours ago, dennisvr said:

I agree with the flock.  At 12 yrs old they are time to be replaced.  It was hard for me to replace my 10 yr old tires that had 3/4 tread remaining.  I went with Sailun tires at 2/3 to 1/2 the price of Michelins or Bridgestone's and good reviews.  I figure they will last me for as long as I have the truck and still look good at the time I sell it.    

X2.  I replaced our 12-13 y/o virgin Firestones in December, with Sailun's.  Couldn't be more pleased with the ride and handling improvement.  I replaced the 7 y/o steers at the same time, again with Sailun.  Closed shoulder all around.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

We don’t run tires past seven years.  I’ve looked unsuccessfully for a tire inspection process that would allow an extension of service beyond seven years. For us it’s not worth the risk. 

IMG_3217a.jpg.c718bc170600aa5ce52e515511d83cb7.jpg

Jim & Wilma

2006 Travel Supreme 36RLQSO

2009 Volvo VNL730, D13, I-shift, ET, Herrin Hauler bed, "Ruby"

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

6 hours ago, rickeieio said:

X2.  I replaced our 12-13 y/o virgin Firestones in December, with Sailun's.  Couldn't be more pleased with the ride and handling improvement.  I replaced the 7 y/o steers at the same time, again with Sailun.  Closed shoulder all around.

Not sure about that closed shoulder no grip design after my January experience.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

The Sailuns I got are closed shoulder, but pretty blocky tread.  So far, I really like them.

And to clarify, yes, I went 13 years on some of the drive tires.  BUT, we're tandem, and the weight back there is roughly 1500# per tire.  They run 25-30 degrees cooler than the steers every time I check them.  I wouldn't dream of running them that long if we were singled.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

On 4/5/2021 at 8:11 PM, bigredhdt said:

Did it damage your trailer at all?

Luckly no. But the tire explosion  under the flatbed deck, bent the deck up 2", tore out all the trailer wiring on the truck side, blew out the left side tail lights and took paint off the outside of the bed. It was on our International 4700 truck. When the tire blew, we kinda pooped in our mess kit. It got your attention.

Robert & Lisa
'14 Keystone Fuzion 315 38' 5er

2015 Volvo VNL 670, D13, iShift 'The Tartis' (ours)

2013 Smart Fortwo Passion 'K-9'

2011 CanAm Spyder RT Limited (Ours)

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

Few years ago was spending a couple winters around Wickenburg AZ ......

Local mine heavy haul trucks would crawl out of mine over huge sharp rocks and then blast down I-10 on blazing hot pavement at 70 mph in the summer and EVERY truck had IRONMAN tires and they will make no bones about how GREAT they are......

We bought a set and they are way overkill in load capacity but I was AMAZED how little runout they have....they run silky smooth in spite of the fact that they are much heavier specs....

Lots of tire for the $$$$$

Drive on.......round tires ride smoothe....

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

I am in the northeast and very seldom do I hear about tire blowouts, the only one I have ever had was in Utah on a very hot day, I routinely run tires into there teens and hardly see any whether checking.  I have had trailer tires seperate the tread from the inner casing both times after a very sharp turn, in the same parking lot 2 consecutive years I wont do that again. I am starting to think the heat and sun is doing even more to adge tires than I thought it did. I am moving to Arizona this summer, with mostly new tires, so in 10 years or so I will find out.

Age is a factor, but not the only factor.  Tires like steers, where there is no redundancy or little safety margin, get replaced often, as do trailer tires.  Drives may be different.  How close to the max weight is the load?  How often do they get really warm?  If you're singled and near max capacity, by all means change often.  If your individual weight is maybe 15%-20% of rated max, I stretch out the life to double, or even more.  I ran my grain trailer tires for 16 years, and changed them all when I found a bubble in the tread on one.  Same way with the work trucks.

Every tire failure I've had has been on a RV trailer. Every blowout/tread separation has been on a Goodyear.  Right now, my $$ go for either Michelin or Sailun.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN