Texas Domicile Question

aztex

Howdy,

Starting the process of Texas Domicile. I got a little confused 

Looks like getting the drivers license and registration the one thing that has to be planned with DPS appointments which I have done for March 3. Escapees told me step one is make an appointment which I have done. But...

There's not an option for "new resident/DL/registration" and I just chose "Service not listed or my license is not eligible" option. Will this suffice or is there a specific option I should chose for such business?

Reading through the guide provided by Escapees it looks like some other paper work that will require a few days. Can other business such as Affidavit of Domicile be done on walk in basis or do I need to make other appts.?

Looks like I can do my banking remotely and I have arrange a few local business and associations I will contact while there.

How long should I plan on being in the Livingston area? I'm in no rush and may enjoy staying around for a while but if I have to firm up reservations asap I better do so for the business I need to accomplish..... SKP park was "open" when I spoke with them a week or two back...

Thanks!

1 hour ago, aztex said:

Howdy,

Starting the process of Texas Domicile. I got a little confused 

Looks like getting the drivers license and registration the one thing that has to be planned with DPS appointments which I have done for March 3. Escapees told me step one is make an appointment which I have done. But...

There's not an option for "new resident/DL/registration" and I just chose "Service not listed or my license is not eligible" option. Will this suffice or is there a specific option I should chose for such business?

Reading through the guide provided by Escapees it looks like some other paper work that will require a few days. Can other business such as Affidavit of Domicile be done on walk in basis or do I need to make other appts.?

Looks like I can do my banking remotely and I have arrange a few local business and associations I will contact while there.

How long should I plan on being in the Livingston area? I'm in no rush and may enjoy staying around for a while but if I have to firm up reservations asap I better do so for the business I need to accomplish..... SKP park was "open" when I spoke with them a week or two back...

Thanks!

Once you have your Escapees address, you can register your vehicles by mail and then get them inspected when you get into the state.  The one thing you do have to do in person is get your DL.      As to time, you have to let us know what your rig is since the weight may be a factor in whether you need an enhanced DL or not.     If enhanced license isn't needed and you have registered your vehicles before hand, then 1 day or 2 at most will suffice.   If enhanced needed, you will need to take the written test, then make an appointment for driving test that can be several weeks out. 

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

For questions about vehicle registrations, just call the office and tell them that you are a new Escapee and they will be happy to assist you and supply current answers.

Phone: (936) 327-6801

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

3 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

Once you have your Escapees address, you can register your vehicles by mail and then get them inspected when you get into the state.  The one thing you do have to do in person is get your DL.      As to time, you have to let us know what your rig is since the weight may be a factor in whether you need an enhanced DL or not.     If enhanced license isn't needed and you have registered your vehicles before hand, then 1 day or 2 at most will suffice.   If enhanced needed, you will need to take the written test, then make an appointment for driving test that can be several weeks out. 

Thanks!

I have a 2019 Airstream 25FB with curb weight of 5500 pounds. Maxes out at 7300 pounds.

Should I get a  Cat Scale slip within a few days of arriving in case an issue? I don't have one on hand but don't recall the VIN normally being attached though.....

It might not hurt to scale it with a certified ticket. At that weight I do not think you will have to but better safe than sorry. Try to scale it as dead empty it as possible. I am told trailers under 7500 do not need a safety inspection. Check like Kirk said.

On my newest tow p/u if I had run just one more gallon of gas before scaling I would have been under a

thresh-hold by about 8 pounds.  I came out at an even 8000.lbs. I can't remember for sure but I think my tags would have been slightly less each year.

• 5 weeks later...
7 hours ago, packnrat said:

what is a texas   "enhanced DL".

would a non commercial class A work? or problems there?

The correct term "non-commercial" as you said. From the Texas DPS site:

There are certain motor vehicles that are classified as commercial motor vehicles that do not require the driver to hold a CDL.  Drivers of these vehicles are required to hold a Class A or B non-commercial driver license based upon the gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating of the vehicle.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

jay drvr, that sounds like the un mandated dl that is being imposed on the USA.

but strange the dmv already has all that info and more on me.

as a dl is not to prove what country you came from (that is what a passport is for). but only that you have already proven your true name.

I am only 61, and have proven many decades back who I am to the government (both state and feds), by many more ways than just a drivers permit.

chalkie, ok so a texas "enhanced" is just like what here in ca is called  a non commercial permit.

i have had a class A commercial permit with many endorsements for forty years now. and with security clearances to get onto military bases i even got to be at castle AFB back when it was a SAC base, what a sight being right next to the B52's ready to go. still do have a active one now.

plus a fed and state issued clearance for getting on and back off same day. prison grounds in ca.

plus "other" fed approved papers also proving who I am. if the fbi still holds real paper files on me i bet it is very thick, but at least it is all good stuff.

I’m sorry I used the term enhanced for the non-commercial Class A or Class B license.  The DL with the enhanced STAR used for flying is completely different, and you don’t have to have it, though I’m not sure how easy it would be to get one now without a star.   You can fly with a passport instead.  We always carry both with us.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

i see no reason to need to prove anything (other than you paid for a ticket) to just fly on a airplane. if another muslam murder wants to do it again, they will have the correct paperwork anyhow.

one can get any kind of document on the black market. governments are only trying to play catch up with the bad guys.

so not having a star makes me a second class person? even with all the feds know about me already.

Packnrat, it's your choice not to fly.   You can't get on a plane without either a REAL ID (DL with a Star) or a passport.  Up to you which you want to have with you if you plan to fly.    

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

1 hour ago, packnrat said:

so i am not registered with the un, so it makes me a second class person.

It seems to me to be your brain telling you are a second class citizen. I'm sorry you feel that way.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

4 hours ago, packnrat said:

neither of which i have.

so i am not registered with the un, so it makes me a second class person.

You said you have a CDL and you live in California, so I am going to presume that you have a California Drivers License. CA licenses are good for 5 years and they started issuing Real ID licenses January 2018. So if you don't have a license with the star, you surely will when you next renew your license.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

I do have the real ID drivers license but I am able to fly without as I also have other valid ID such as my military 100% P&T disabled ID card with photo and no expire date plus U.S. and foreign pilots license ID cards with photos and thumbprints and VA 100% disable veterans ID with photo in addition to 3 expired U.S. passports.  I carry all this when traveling by air.

Edited by NamMedevac 70