Temporary Stay near Houston TX

Bill62

I wasn't sure what area to post this so here it goes.  I am a 58 yr. old male returning to the US from an overseas military contract.  I no longer own a home in the US as I have been doing multiple overseas assignments.  I am a member of Escapees and will use the Texas office for address.  My wife is Japanese and living in Japan.  I plan to return there in about 3 months and retire.  I do need to spend a few months in the US to take care of family legal affairs, finish up my employment and am thinking that maybe I will purchase a Class C to live in and sell it when I leave.  I realize that I might take a hit only owning it for such a short time but it would be far cheaper than living out of a hotel and my dog will be with me.  My other thought and reason for this post is this; does anyone rent an RV at an affordable rate?  I plan to be in the Livingston/Houston area.  I would really appreciate any advice on this.

You might want to contact RV parks in the area, particularly those that cater to 55+.  Many of these parks have a significant population of snowbirds who only travel between a location in the north and the park.  Many of the units will be older RV's that no longer travel, but are built-in in the sense that they have decks/screened rooms and carports.  Often there are units for sale.  I suspect more will be available in the time of COVID, at least that is the case here in Florida.  Some may be available for rent, as well, although some parks may have a policy against renting.

Jinx and Wayne

2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ

I agree with the previous post. You could then buy or lease some sort of automobile to use for the time that you will be in Houston area and very much simplify things both now and when you leave. There are also places with what we call park models available to rent and I really think that would be a good place to look. Renting an RV is probably not very practical for 3 months from one of the RV rental agencies as they keep newer RVs with very expensive insurance and are intended to be driven. You could expect the rental of a class C to cost at least $500/week and most are in the $1000 and up range. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

You might look at PPL in Houston.  Buy a used rig and then put it on consignment with them to sell when you leave.  I think that rather than a Class C I would buy a travel trailer or 5th wheel and pay someone to move it to a long term RV park.  The trailer would take a lot less of an investment.

Our "Here and There" Blog

2005 Safari Cheetah Motorhome

Many campgrounds have Park Models that they rent out, usually by the season, or owners of a Park Model may not be going south this year and would gladly rent out their unit. Also many campgrounds have cabins available for rent. This would be better than trying to sell a used RV when you are ready to leave. Additionally many metropolitan cities have Executive Rental Suits that are really long term stay hotels. They are not cheep but a lot less that a room at a hotel over several months. They usually charge by the week or month. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

38 minutes ago, Twotoes said:

Many campgrounds have Park Models that they rent out, usually by the season, or owners of a Park Model may not be going south this year and would gladly rent out their unit. Also many campgrounds have cabins available for rent. This would be better than trying to sell a used RV when you are ready to leave. Additionally many metropolitan cities have Executive Rental Suits that are really long term stay hotels. They are not cheep but a lot less that a room at a hotel over several months. They usually charge by the week or month. 

Also with the current virus may be slow to sell an unit. Not many travelling and lots out of work.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

5 hours ago, Twotoes said:

Additionally many metropolitan cities have Executive Rental Suits that are really long term stay hotels. They are not cheep but a lot less that a room at a hotel over several months. They usually charge by the week or month. 

When we were between houses one year we stayed in an Extended Stay America for a month. Nice place. We have since referred others to that brand since we had such a good experience there. Most of the residents at that time were insurance adjusters and repairmen dealing with the aftermath of a huge storm so there were lots of work vans in the parking lot.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

18 hours ago, bruce t said:

Many hotel chains have long term rates for workers.

The reason I like Extended Stay America is each room is actually like a studio apartment with a recliner, a table as well as a desk, and a kitchen. Having a kitchen with a microwave and a full-size refrigerator makes life easier not to mention being able to leave my computer on the desk when I want to eat at the table.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van