Great Resource in Las Vegas for Diesel Pushers

Vegas Teacher

Hello,

I post in the HDT site because I have a Full size Volvo 780 semi. I usually don't read anything from this site as I assume a lot of you probably do not go into the HDT site.

So for those of you who are coming through Vegas or wintering here and need to get your diesel pusher looked at or tuned up I just wanted to pass on this information:

True Blue Diesel repair shop just off of 95 and Cheyenne just across the street from southern tire mart which can do all of the tires on your rig for you too. The two shops work together on a lot of issues where they have specialty repairs.

Talk to Steve at True Blue his phone number is (702) 979-8480

He is honest and works extremely hard to take care of his clients!

13 hours ago, hemsteadc said:

My cummins and I thank you. It's difficult to trust any Las Vegas business.

How true here is my story, you will appreciate this.....

1 year ago, November of 2019 I took my Volvo 780 semi to a place I was less than happy with. I backed it into a spot and went into the service counter. I told them I had purchased this truck with about a million miles on it and wanted them to go over it with a fine tooth comb and get it ready for the road. I gave them a laundry list of things I noticed and wanted fixed. I also asked them to take it out and drive it to address a pull I felt in the steering. So the guy behind the service counter goes out with me an hooks up the computer to the diagnostic port, runs the preliminary and says it looks good overall no big codes coming up, we will call you after the holiday weekend next week, that was the Monday prior to Thanksgiving last year......

I got a call back Monday after the holiday weekend just after Thanksgiving. On the phone the guy says well I have some news for you. Your bull gear is out and it is going to need a new one, the part is 10K and there is between 50 & 100 hours of labor. If we find something else we will fix it while we are in there and you are looking at around 50K after it is all said and done. I told them not to touch it. I had my wife drive me over to the dealership to get it. When I got there I noticed my truck had not moved from the spot it was in, moreover I noticed the front wheels were still cut in the angle I turned to get into the parking spot. I went in and asked how they diagnosed my truck issue. They went on got the mechanic and he said he turned the truck on and could "hear" it. They told me the bull gear could go at any second. I asked if they thought I could make it home. They said they did not know. They Charge me about $300.00 for the "inspection" for shop time. Like I said my truck never moved into the shop.

I drove it back to my father in laws house. He has RV parking. I let it sit from December of 2019 to May of 2020 when I received a recommendation from the guys at Southern Tire Mart (who I have also loved working with, ask for Junior) to go across the street to True Blue, and ask for Steve. So Coronavirus comes along. School ends ( I am a teacher, Arbor View High School ) I call up True Blue, and I take my semi over to him. I tell him about my experience and told him what the other place told me. (P.M. and I will tell you who it was, but I don't like airing dirty laundry in public.) Steve and his crew start going over my truck. I get a call 3 days later, first he was going to start on all air leaks, then he was going to change the oil and all fluids, next put on new bushings and air bags. NOT the BULL GEAR. Lots of small things but not the bull gear. He still has my truck and has done new brakes, shocks and tie rods. My drive tires are both in bad shaped plus aged out and I need a 3 axle alignment plus 8 new drive tires.

So Steve has been good to me. I think anybody who is looking for a great mechanic, that knows how to trouble shoot an engine problem. He is fair on his prices. He sends pictures of every issue plus calls and sends text to let you know what needs to be done with an estimate before he does anything. When he does anything he explains the problem, explains what the parts will do and tells you what his steps are for fixing the problem. He was not a friend before I started going to him, but I would certainly call him a friend now.

If you go to him tell him Vincent Ossana gave you the recommendation, he will take care of your Diesel and treat you like gold.

Later,

Vegas Teacher  

It usually has a lifespan of between 750K and 900K. More information on https://www.thetruckersreport.com/truckingindustryforum/threads/series-60-bull-gear.140127/

Here is a good look at the bull gear in a DD

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

On 11/19/2020 at 1:49 PM, Vegas Teacher said:

Hello,

I post in the HDT site because I have a Full size Volvo 780 semi. I usually don't read anything from this site as I assume a lot of you probably do not go into the HDT site.

Talk to Steve at True Blue his phone number is (702) 979-8480

He is honest and works extremely hard to take care of his clients!

The DP folks should know better....already !!

At least some/lots of folks with *anything* that has *wheels* visit the HDT forum - regularly!

Check those HDT forum numbers vs "the others".

No DP or 780 tractor (or HDT) here....but good "heads up"!

(I always thought a Diesel Pusher was an "A" unit helper at the end of a long freight train)

Thanks.

3 hours ago, Pappy Yokum said:

At least some/lots of folks with *anything* that has *wheels* visit the HDT forum - regularly!

Because many HDT folks only post there even if it is knowledge the rest of us could use.

3 hours ago, Pappy Yokum said:

(I always thought a Diesel Pusher was an "A" unit helper at the end of a long freight train)

Me, too, until I discovered this forum. :)

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

• 11 months later...
On 11/20/2020 at 10:15 AM, Vegas Teacher said:

So Steve has been good to me. I think anybody who is looking for a great mechanic, that knows how to trouble shoot an engine problem.

I called this business recently as I planned on being in Las Vegas.  

The man on the phone seemed bewildered that I even had his phone number.  He asked where I got it, I told him on here. He didn't seem to understand what Escapees was or even know he's being advertised here.  

Then we discussed some work I wanted done on my Freightliner M2-106 (Mdt) which he didn't seem to be familiar with.  He again asked me where I got the phone number.   I told him, but again it just didn't seem to register with him that I was an RVer and not a long haul trucker.  I guess that's what he expected.. I really don't know.

He accused me of making a joke phone call, so I hung up immediately.  I am not making this up.

Edited by hemsteadc

On 10/26/2021 at 1:59 PM, hemsteadc said:

The man on the phone seemed bewildered that I even had his phone number.  He asked where I got it, I told him on here. He didn't seem to understand what Escapees was or even know he's being advertised here.  

Then we discussed some work I wanted done on my Freightliner M2-106 (Mdt) which he didn't seem to be familiar with.  He again asked me where I got the phone number.   I told him, but again it just didn't seem to register with him that I was an RVer and not a long haul trucker.  I guess that's what he expected.. I really don't know.

He accused me of making a joke phone call, so I hung up immediately.  I am not making this up.

Maybe "Vegas Teacher" should give "Steve" at True Blue a call - and ask if the Gold Standard is a myth !!-??

😕

According to the True Blue facebook page  this is a mobile mechanic service in Las Vegas. He only has a basic one-page website, but facebook tells more.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/26/2021 at 1:59 PM, hemsteadc said:

From the website - previous post with link by "Ray,IN" -  the phone number posted by Vegas Teacher - (702) 979-8480 - is correct.

Very strange !!

😕

Edited by Pappy Yokum
typo

I see Ray's link as Tru Blue Consulting & Repair LLC & that phone #.  The ad doesn't state he repairs RVs.  That's probably why he didn't understand your call.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel