LP alarm going off after we removed propane tanks

SB52

5 hours ago, SB52 said:

There is obviously not a leak and we don’t know how to make it stop.

Do you mean that the alarm is going and no propane tanks are installed? Glen is correct that those alarms can and do fail. It is also possible that something else is triggering it. First thing I'd check is to be sure that you don't have a combination CO/propane alarm as that could be caused by a CO situation if it is and that might be dangerous. If it isn't a combination alarm then I'd think either it is failing or some source of methane or other combustible gas. If it is going off constantly, that would make me think as Glen is. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We had this happen many years ago and we had just changed tanks and thought the valve wasn't tight enough.  We eventually found it to be some critter had nibbled at a hose.  Luckily the campground had a repair service on site and the guy told us that it wasn't a big hole and with the full tank hooked up it set off the alarm.  In the 13 years since that happened it hasn't happened again.  Now we know to check the hoses each time as we prepare to hit the road. 

Edited by Mr. Camper

This is not only an LP detector, it  detects ALL combustible gas's. More than one have reported their sleep dog has triggered the LP alarm. Off-gassing batteries, hair spray that does not have an inert propellant can trigger the LP detector; and the list goes on_. All LP,, smoke, C0, etc. detectors have a life-span.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

6 hours ago, GlennWest said:

They have a life span. Maybe time to replace

X-2

At one time I had an older TT stored on the side of my house.  Would go to do some work on it, and "something" was "chirping".  (Smoke detectors had batts removed.) Couldn't figure where it was coming from.....until the ah-ha moment.

Propane tanks not on trlr, so no odor possible! -  Detector was 110 only - probably been there since the TT was built w/ detector hiding out of sight down at floor level (where it belongs).

But........ Lil' critter was unhappy 'cause he was old, like Kirk.  (Sorry, couldn't resist!)

A trip to Lowe's or HD should solve the problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to the search function I found this and note on my current device it has an 84 month life. Does that mean I have owned my trailer for 84 months? Maybe....

Who has replaced and do most "RV Stores" have them? Mine started alarming (the single beep every 3 to 4 minutes) at 3AM today. I finally got up to find it and pressed the mute button. It worked for several hours but it started beeping again, so I removed it from power. It will be the weekend before I will have the chance to replace. I do not use propane inside my rig at all, unless the water heater counts and it's on electric the majority of the time. I could just go and shut off the tank, but it has rained a ton and there is supposed to be ice tonight. What if I need to use the propane for water heating in the morning before work???  

Just did the math. 84 months is 7 years. I picked up my trailer in November of 2013. Apparently the install was in October. Now to find the replacement and hope it's not too expensive. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

2 hours ago, lappir said:

Thanks to the search function I found this and note on my current device it has an 84 month life. Does that mean I have owned my trailer for 84 months? Maybe....

Who has replaced and do most "RV Stores" have them? Mine started alarming (the single beep every 3 to 4 minutes) at 3AM today. I finally got up to find it and pressed the mute button. It worked for several hours but it started beeping again, so I removed it from power. It will be the weekend before I will have the chance to replace. I do not use propane inside my rig at all, unless the water heater counts and it's on electric the majority of the time. I could just go and shut off the tank, but it has rained a ton and there is supposed to be ice tonight. What if I need to use the propane for water heating in the morning before work???  

Just did the math. 84 months is 7 years. I picked up my trailer in November of 2013. Apparently the install was in October. Now to find the replacement and hope it's not too expensive. 

Rod

I did not replace the expensive RV type, I just bought a battery-powered one from Lowe's for around $40. This also eliminated a small house battery drain.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

1 hour ago, Randyretired said:

We bought ours from Amazon.

I buy NOTHING from Amazon.

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2007 Honda GL 1800

31 minutes ago, Ray,IN said:

I did not replace the expensive RV type, I just bought a battery-powered one from Lowe's for around $40. This also eliminated a small house battery drain.

The "Atwood" ones are listed at $40 and I did call the local RV store and they have "options". Will see what happens. The person I spoke with said the "Battery" was getting low since it was the infrequent beep, I told him it was wired into the House battery and he said  that could be correct too and my house battery is in need of replacement. Hope he isn't planning on trying to sell me them too. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

11 hours ago, lappir said:

The person I spoke with said the "Battery" was getting low since it was the infrequent beep, I told him it was wired into the House battery and he said  that could be correct too and my house battery is in need of replacement.

Most(if not all) of the RV manufacturers install one of the combination CO/LP detectors in their RVs and all that I have ever worked with in the past 20 or so years have been powered from the RV battery. They are connected directly to the battery so that if the battery is connected the sensor is powered. They do use a tiny bit of power, but if you consider the battery type will last for a full year on 1, 9V battery it will give you a feel for just how little it is. I didn't find the current draw listing for Atwood, but Safe-T-Alert says that theirs will draw .037 amp,

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI