Braking

bluflame11

I have something I wanted to ask about...i have tried searching and I have not found it, or I'm not searching the right terms...i have a 2007 Volvo 730, still tandem. We tow a 42 foot fiver. Yesterday we had a scary situation. We were driving along an interstate with about 4 lanes of travel. I was in the second lane from right. We were probably going 45mph as there was traffic. Suddenly the Lange I was in came to a dead stop. I jumped on the brakes. The tandem locked up but the fronts did not. Thankfully, no one was beside me, so I was able to steer to the slow lane to avoid a collision. 

Since then I have been wondering if my brakes are working as expected? I have a direct link for the controller. I have the understanding that the Brakes are proportional, so I have the trailer air supply lines capped and always run with the red octagon on dash pushed in. Am I doing something wrong? Did I not step hard enough? Should I leave the red octagon out? It worried me because one of the big reasons I went hdt was for panic stops and now I'm second guessing that....

Thanks inn advance!

The red line should be to supply air to the trailer. Are your trailer brakes air/hydraulic, or straight air? If they are electric, you shouldn't need to do anything with the red. Same as if bobtailing. 

Are your truck brakes adjusted? You don't want the fronts to lock up so you can steer in a skid, but they should still be adjusted periodically. 

Chris & Tonya

'99 Freightliner FLD120, '01 Wabash Toyhauler (32' garage, 20' LQ)

27b.jpg.d0423223324307d7b8525a90ffe5746e.jpg

Time to do some trouble shooting. Your truck should have ABS, that should have prevented the rears from locking up. Your trailer brakes should have helped with the braking. You need to lift your chin, and look further forward. This last part is imperative.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

That is why I posted. I don't have a direct link but my truck does not lock up. All modern trucks have abs and should not lock. I will add my truck stops better with my Teton in tow. 5 axles braking vs 2.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Check your brake adjustment.  Everyone driving a HDT should no how to do this and should be checking regularly.  Commercial drivers are supposed to do it daily and are not allowed to move if they find a brake out of adjustment.   Automatic slack adjusters do fail that is why they sell replacements.

I’ll  get off my soapbox now.

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

My abs does not work, and in quick stops especially when bobtailing the tandem will lock. I suspect that you are ABS is not functioning.

Edited by Parrformance
Spelling correction

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

Like said check slacks , maybe get brakes inspected by a tech. I had glazed front  drums and cracked shoes years ago , not long after we bought the truck. I had nothing to compare it to. But after replacing everything it was a new truck stopping. 
 On our truck with trailer connection plugged I prefer the feel of the brakes with trailer brake knob in all the time.  I don’t like at all with it out. I feels like I’ll never slow down. Tractor protection valve. 

That being said, I always try to never need the brakes allow that space to let the Jake do the job. 

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

The ABS light should illuminate on start up indicating system self check, then go out. The light should stay on if there is a malfunction. 

Describe the "lock up" you experienced.... 

Class 8 ABS brakes are very powerfull when you stand on the foot valve pedal in an emergency. There will be activity when the ABS is activated under full braking effort. 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

In the mid-1990's Volvo started installing a Bob-tail system. (not the correct name) With the trailer (red) button in it things the truck is loaded and puts more air to drivers. With the trailer button out it applies air equally to steer and drive. Go to a empty parking lot and practice stops both ways.

event.png

Glyn (KL0PG) & Diane Carson
2002 I-H 4400 Papa's Dream (Mama's Nightmare)
2015 Space Craft V400
Furkid Max

email: dlcarsonak@hotmail.com

13 hours ago, billr said:

. . . maybe get brakes inspected by a tech.
. . . I always try to never need the brakes . . . 

Don’t remember ever paying someone to work on any of my vehicle brakes over the years or change oil for that matter. That changed with our HDT.  

I routinely inspect our brakes but also include them in our annual shop maintenance when we have the oil changed. The mechanics experience along with pit/lift inspection access, is worth the small expense, IMHO.

I also “play the game” of seeing how little I have use the brakes. The Volvo I-shift stalk makes that remarkably easy, once you figure out how to use it. 

IMG_3217a.jpg.c718bc170600aa5ce52e515511d83cb7.jpg

Jim & Wilma

2006 Travel Supreme 36RLQSO

2009 Volvo VNL730, D13, I-shift, ET, Herrin Hauler bed, "Ruby"

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

22 hours ago, noteven said:

The ABS light should illuminate on start up indicating system self check, then go out. The light should stay on if there is a malfunction. 

Describe the "lock up" you experienced.... 

Class 8 ABS brakes are very powerfull when you stand on the foot valve pedal in an emergency. There will be activity when the ABS is activated under full braking effort. 

I found out about my non-working ABS function from a mobile tech that was diagnosing my no start condition.  I have no ABS light on the dash illuminated.  The tech said "your ABS is not working".  The wife and I were traveling, and did not feel The need to try and fix this issue on the side of the road, so we did not investigate it further.

The previous owner, had installed the forward drive axle, perhaps when this was done the tech turned off the ABS warnings?

While looking into the fan clutch electrical fault, I came across the two different fuses for ABS, the 30 amp fuse is installed and checks good, the 10 amp is missing.

When I get home I will replace this fuse, I suspect I will receive an ABS light, and maybe a error code.

Edited by Parrformance
Added info

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

I know the rear slid....I'm not sure whether it was both axles or just one. The abs light does come on and go out at start up. I hear several series of "clicks" when you first turn on the key that I had always thought was the abs testing itself, but I may be wrong about that. As far as using the transmission to slow down, I do that as much as possible, but being a 2007 truck, it is pre I-shift. I have the Eaton 10 speed ultra shift. Makes it a bit harder. 

On my old Freightshaker, when I singled, no abs. Had to change to a 4 axle box. If I added back an axle I would still have 4 wheel abs. So front axle would lock. Don't know about your truck abs though

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

12 hours ago, GlennWest said:

On my old Freightshaker, when I singled, no abs. Had to change to a 4 axle box. If I added back an axle I would still have 4 wheel abs. So front axle would lock. Don't know about your truck abs though

How hard is that to do? Where is the box located? My freightliner was singled by the previous owner. I get a no abs message when I start it. I guess I just never worried about it.

Edited by jenandjon

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Not hard at all. Freightliner offered both 6 axle and 4 axle so both boxes are on the market. I got a used one on a truck used parts site. Don't remember site though. Simply unmount box and install other. Remove the extra abs cables if they still there. Mine is underneath on passenger site railing. 

Thanks Glenn. The guy that singled it is helping me do some wheel seals this winter. We should be able to figure this out now.

Sorry I didn't mean to hijack the thread.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.