US Postal Service is reliable and fast

ToddF

14 hours ago, bigjim said:

I have minimized some of my stuff but for some items I want a current paper copy.  I do not have a copier to print and have limited space so it is not practical to print out receipts etc.  I am kind of aggravated about paying what it costs for some things like insurance, Coachnet, or the like and they want me to print. Hell I will give them and extra dollar to send me a hard plastic or stiff card copy.

I apply for things on line.  Electronic signatures, never print out.  BUT printers are cheap, don’t  take much space.  

7 minutes ago, sandsys said:

So, if a cop asks you for proof of insurance, you send him to the cloud? Or ask him to wait while you go to a local copy shop to get a print out?

Linda

Have app on phone that show insurance card in my phone wallet.  Texas accepts that as proof of insurance.  Your state doesn’t?

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

43 minutes ago, Barbaraok said:

Have app on phone that show insurance card in my phone wallet.  Texas accepts that as proof of insurance.  Your state doesn’t?

I have no idea. Partly because I don't have a phone wallet. Dave does, though. And since he now does all our driving I guess I don't need to know.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Linda almost anyone can explain it better than me but the basic  of it is that many entities these days accept a look at the information on your smart phone or whatever.  I do  not think every place will do it but the concept is spreading. Where I volunteer they have some things that are rented out and now I or anyone can verify it on their phone vs having a printed copy.  However what about people that don't have smart phones or if you are in some place you can not get a signal. The most recent thing here is paying a $3. day use fee using a QR "code-symbol or what ever they call it". They are right on the  fee post below the cash envelope pay slot.  How ever in some areas and some times they can't get a signal or whatever.  I am sure they are doing this all over the place and it can be fantastic for some people if you have the proper technology and the ability to use it.   And of course in most cases the newer technology will cost more and my be difficult for some to utilize it.

I'm back to send me a hard card. As much as you are charging me for the insurance or what ever send me the d--n card.

Both Progressive and Allstate send us our NY hard cards at renewal, and both provides apps that will also display the cards digitally. Both apps let us store the current cards locally so no signal is needed to display them. 

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

30 minutes ago, Dutch_12078 said:

Both Progressive and Allstate send us our NY hard cards at renewal, and both provides apps that will also display the cards digitally. Both apps let us store the current cards locally so no signal is needed to display them. 

I don't think most people realize that things in your wallet, like tickets, etc., are on your phone, not in the cloud.   I've gotten so I don't shop regularly at places that don't take payments from smart phones (Apple Pay, Goggle Pay).   

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

2 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

NY

I assume you mean New York.  Interesting. My agent in Texarkana will actually print out a paper copy and mail it to me but it used to always come with the new policy. Insurance regulations and and management I think vary from state to state so I wonder if that is a factor.

8 minutes ago, bigjim said:

I assume you mean New York.  Interesting. My agent in Texarkana will actually print out a paper copy and mail it to me but it used to always come with the new policy. Insurance regulations and and management I think vary from state to state so I wonder if that is a factor.

Yes, "NY" = New York... I expect the insurance companies are doing what the individual state insurance regulators require of them, and only as much more than that as competitive marketing requires.

Dutch

1 hour ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Back on topic. Mail issues in LANew JerNe, and FL.

Certainly those incidents highlight some personnel issues within the USPS, but I do note that none of them appear to be election related beyond a small percentage of the tossed mail being blank ballots.

Dutch

10 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

Certainly those incidents highlight some personnel issues within the USPS, but I do note that none of them appear to be election related beyond a small percentage of the tossed mail being blank ballots.

The topic wasn't whether USPS reliability was an election issue or not, only it's reliability. There are so many eyes watching, waiting for their 15 minutes, that for the most part, the staff of the USPS is diligent and dedicated. The exceptions do cause a stir.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

47 minutes ago, Darryl&Rita said:

The topic wasn't whether USPS reliability was an election issue or not, only it's reliability. There are so many eyes watching, waiting for their 15 minutes, that for the most part, the staff of the USPS is diligent and dedicated. The exceptions do cause a stir.

But it's the election that's putting so much focus on the USPS' performance at the moment, as well as an extra burden. I suspect things will settle down somewhat after 11/3.

Dutch

13 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

Tossed blank ballots are not an issue?!!! How would I vote if my ballot did not arrive? Thankfully, mine did and my local city hall has a drop off option so I don't have to count on the mail to get it where it needs to go. To me, those tossed blank ballots are the fraud issue Trump has been advertising.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

22 hours ago, sandsys said:

So, if a cop asks you for proof of insurance, you send him to the cloud? Or ask him to wait while you go to a local copy shop to get a print out?

Although I usually carry printed copies of those, it's worth noting that Progressive (and maybe other companies) have legally accepted online versions that can be downloaded to one's phone.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

6 hours ago, sandsys said:

Tossed blank ballots are not an issue?!!! How would I vote if my ballot did not arrive? Thankfully, mine did and my local city hall has a drop off option so I don't have to count on the mail to get it where it needs to go. To me, those tossed blank ballots are the fraud issue Trump has been advertising.

Linda

In the overall scheme of things, the ballots were a very small percentage of the problem. More importantly, the tossed mail was recovered and delivered to the intended recipients. I'd think someone not getting their ballot when expected would be cause for an inquiry to the elections folks. 

Dutch

22 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

I've gotten so I don't shop regularly at places that don't take payments from smart phones (Apple Pay, Goggle Pay).   

In our part of TX you buy groceries at HEB or you pretty much don't buy groceries.  And HEB doesn't take either of these

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Luckily more and more grocery chains are learning that touchless payments is the way to go.  Our favorite restaurants  also take Apple Pay.  Pilot/Flying Js take the tap payment if you go inside and some are now installing new pumps that allow you to pay at the pump with the 'tap' and go cards or the smart phones.   Safeway store near us just added diesel and the pumps have the tap & go emblem on them.   Even Massey Truck & Diesel in Phoenix takes Apple Pay for oil changes/repairs!    

image.png.bda0f1ac447bf83db77a67533f23b3ab.png 

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

1 hour ago, kurtsara said:

What is wrong with cash? 

Right now, many businesses are expressing a preference for other types of payment because there is less contact with the customer and there is a coin shortage. Even drive-up food is posting that request.  In addition, when you travel it can be a nuisance to get more cash as well as the fact that many credit cards now return 1% or even 2% to the card holder. We use very little cash even when not traveling. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

12 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

Right now, many businesses are expressing a preference for other types of payment because there is less contact with the customer and there is a coin shortage. Even drive-up food is posting that request.  In addition, when you travel it can be a nuisance to get more cash as well as the fact that many credit cards now return 1% or even 2% to the card holder. We use very little cash even when not traveling. 

I see none of that here in Minnesota. 

We own a food truck, I go to the bank to get quarters and ones and fives, our bank says they have no shortage of anything.

We pay cash for most things

Edited by kurtsara

I prefer credit/debit card payments for the most part because overall they save me money. The unlimited 5% fuel rebate with my PenFed Visa card for instance, pays for one or more fuel fill ups for my motorhome each year. And the 1-2% on all other purchases really adds up as well over time. I carry a minimal amount of cash and sometimes go weeks without using any of it. Even many vending machines accept cashless payments.

Dutch

52 minutes ago, kurtsara said:

I go to the bank to get quarters and ones and fives,

It isn't quite that simple for those who are far from the place where they bank. In addition, if you use a card there is no need to visit the bank.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

3 hours ago, Kirk W said:

It isn't quite that simple for those who are far from the place where they bank. In addition, if you use a card there is no need to visit the bank.

The only reason I use the bank is because we own a food truck so I said I have to get change to give to the customers. 

Can’t you get extra cash when you pay with a credit card?

I guess I assume you can but I always pay cash so I’m not sure. 

Edited by kurtsara