Crossfires

Av8r3400

Has anyone put Crossfire pressure hoses on their duals while keeping the nice chrome hub covers?

If so, how did you do it?   Photos please...

(Please, no hitch arguments)

Av8r3400
Thunderstruck - 2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift
Slick - 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

Yes.  Mine are mounted with moon hubs.  Just used a dremmel to cut small slot in the edge for the bracket.  Will see if I can get you some pics in next couple of days.  You can mount the supplied bracket either to a wheel stud or hub bolt.  I used a hub bolt.  Also if you order the Crossfires get the one with three Schraeder valves.  That way you can put TPMS on each tire and still have a fill valve.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Oh BTW may want to make yourself one of these to keep handy if you need to remove or place the hose on the inner tire valve.LfLiWhYl.jpggrqrlVTl.jpg

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

8” if I recall.  Has been several years.  

Edited by SuiteSuccess

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

10 hours ago, rdickinson said:

Put mine on 5 yrs ago in Florida, no issues.  Only need one TPMS sensor instead of 2.

Charlie Lord suggested the 3 valve system.  Certainly can be done the way you have yours.  The 3 valve allows each individual tire to be monitored rather than both as duals. Apparently it is designed such that if one tire leaks it will not allow the other tire to also deflate.  I found added benefit in that setup.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

We have considered putting Crossfires on our duals.  I’m currently unconvinced of their value and would like to hear any testimonials or theory of how they help.

I have found our dual tire pressures remain remarkably stable and track together through change in temperature.  We do monitor each tire with the TST 507 TPMS.  I’m not clear on what problem the Crossfires would solve that couldn’t be as effectively solved by responding to loss of pressure from an individual tire. 

On the other hand, I’m aware of a least a couple folks that had problems with their systems, one of which was a consequence of inadequately securing the Crossfire.  I would definitely pay attention to the best methods of installing these should that be your decision. 

IMG_3217a.jpg.c718bc170600aa5ce52e515511d83cb7.jpg

Jim & Wilma

2006 Travel Supreme 36RLQSO

2009 Volvo VNL730, D13, I-shift, ET, Herrin Hauler bed, "Ruby"

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

24 minutes ago, Jim & Wilma said:

We have considered putting Crossfires on our duals.  I’m currently unconvinced of their value and would like to hear any testimonials or theory of how they help.

I have found our dual tire pressures remain remarkably stable and track together through change in temperature.  We do monitor each tire with the TST 507 TPMS.  I’m not clear on what problem the Crossfires would solve that couldn’t be as effectively solved by responding to loss of pressure from an individual tire. 

On the other hand, I’m aware of a least a couple folks that had problems with their systems, one of which was a consequence of inadequately securing the Crossfire.  I would definitely pay attention to the best methods of installing these should that be your decision. 

Jim,

I added them simply for convenience.  It was hard for me to lay on my back and get my fat hand between the tires to put on the TST sensor.  I tried to devise a tool for that but that failed.  So if I did get the sensor on and needed to add air to the inner tire same difficult process again.  In fairness I did have to replace one Crossfire due to a leak but otherwise have been pretty much trouble free.

Edited by SuiteSuccess

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

6 minutes ago, SuiteSuccess said:I added them simply for convenience.

Yep, I’ve considered just adding extensions for that reason. Screwing the TST on the outside tire stem, through wheel access hole, is a test in dexterity and patience.  I’ve found that closing my eyes and seeking inner peace works best. I do cheat though and have removed the TST anti-theft outer shell.

IMG_3217a.jpg.c718bc170600aa5ce52e515511d83cb7.jpg

Jim & Wilma

2006 Travel Supreme 36RLQSO

2009 Volvo VNL730, D13, I-shift, ET, Herrin Hauler bed, "Ruby"

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

48 minutes ago, Jim & Wilma said:

Yep, I’ve considered just adding extensions for that reason. Screwing the TST on the outside tire stem, through wheel access hole, is a test in dexterity and patience.  I’ve found that closing my eyes and seeking inner peace works best. I do cheat though and have removed the TST anti-theft outer shell.

Yes tried the inner peace thing but been married 48 yrs and have kids and grandkids. Doesn’t work on my command. 😊. I tried removing the anti theft shield and sticking in a piece of hose like I used to do with spark plugs. That failed also. Sometimes I feel like Wylie Coyote and all his failed inventions. 

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

I've been using Cat's Eyes crossovers on my work trucks for about twenty years, with excellent results. I initially used them because of the difficulty in checking and airing 16" duals, but since am using them on all dual axles. They allow me to visually check air pressure levels as I walk around, plus I have a single point to add air. Also, there's the benefit of automatically balancing both tires. Wouldn't be without them. Jay

On my truck I consider Crossfires money well spent just for the convenience of the single inflation point.  The old Kenworth-exclusive Alcoa wheels with semi-triangular hand holes were unique, but a bigger PITA than regular ol' round holes, so removing and replacing pressure sensors on those inner duals was a nightmare.

All of the other benefits that they offer are just gravy.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

Meh we put crossfires on all our farm trucks. They were great. Until you had to take one apart. They only lasted a couple years. I suppose on highway use only they would be fine. 2 or 3 years of gravel roads and salty highways didn't do them any good.

I really like that when you did lose one tire it didn't let the other one go flat also.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Larry,

My mounting.

lYxJaRfl.jpg

Slot cut in half moon hub cover.  Doesn’t show at all.

cvP3fRjl.jpg

One other thing.  If you do go with Crossfires get the rubber extension supports that fill the wheel hole to support the extension going to the inner tire.  If you don’t the vibration will eventually crack the fitting at the main housing.

Edited by SuiteSuccess

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Mine are mounted identical to Suitesuccess's. Notched out the hubcap. I also am running Centramatics on all 4 corners. Due to the curvature of the highway your inner rear wheel tires will see a slightly higher load and the crossfires will even out that load by balancing the tire pressure between the dual rear tires on each side. Especially helpful when you cross over on uneven lanes or have to run with one tire off the edge of the pavement as in some construction zones. Definitely worth the money. I Don't know if Ed Donnelly is going to be presenting a talk on the Crossfires at this years HDT rally or not, but there will be several of us there to show you their Crossfire installations in person.

fnMLSAUl.jpg