Engine heater

Chuck

They sort of percolate to move the warm water out and allow some colder water in. 

At least the old ones did. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

49 minutes ago, Chuck said:

What affect does this heater have on the temp of the engine oil?

Oil inside the block will be at the same temp as the block, oil in the pan will be at ambient. Want a warmer oil pan, get a magnetic pan heater; s-l500.jpg

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

An induction heater for the oil. Great idea, but what about the condensation that it will cause with the different temperatures. The induction will only heat the oil that is touching the pan and there will be very cold metal above I don't know how warm the oil will get. 

I had a video of me holding the edge of a metal bowl of boiling water on my induction hot plate stirring around a bunch of "contact lens holders" . Above the boiling water there was virtually  no heat in the metal. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2007 Honda GL 1800

Rod, it's not induction, just a simple resistive heater with a magnet to hold it to the pan. Condensation gets taken care of when the engine is up to operating temperature. Most places these get used, the winter humidity is too low for much condensation.

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication

Please e-mail us here.

11 hours ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Rod, it's not induction, just a simple resistive heater with a magnet to hold it to the pan. Condensation gets taken care of when the engine is up to operating temperature. Most places these get used, the winter humidity is too low for much condensation.

Thanks for the clarification. Sometimes I overthink or under think. When using the induction there is no magnetism between the pan and the surface. If I would have thought a bit...... jumping to a conclusion is good exercise though, isn't it? 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

On the topic of warming the oil. If the truck is out of the wind and the block heater is plugged in for a sufficient amount of time (3-4 hrs +) the increased ambient temperature of the engine block will warm the oil in the pan.

Generally, if you plug it in overnight, just the block heater is sufficient to give a decent start down to about -20F.

On 9/11/2020 at 9:39 PM, Darryl&Rita said:

Oil inside the block will be at the same temp as the block, oil in the pan will be at ambient. Want a warmer oil pan, get a magnetic pan heater; s-l500.jpg

These are useless on a 60 series Detroit. The pan is Fiberglass.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

I use the block heater in my Cummins powered school bus, I only plug it in if it's going below 10 farenheit, then it's on a timer 1.5 hours and you would think it was 75 out. I have started buses at 20 below farenheit without plugging them in, I do not recommend it, the one I am thinking of was an International 444E if memory is not all lost. I use them a lot on the farm tractors about 1 hour and they whip wright over.

On 9/13/2020 at 5:47 AM, jenandjon said:

These are useless on a 60 series Detroit. The pan is Fiberglass.

Then one would use the epoxy on version. Don't like them personally, but they're available. 
v5k0q2Y.jpg

Please e-mail us here.

Here is what I was told in Calgary where it gets plenty cold.  Firstly, I put in a frost plug heater and added a magnetic pan heater.

The pan heater fell off so maybe the epoxy method would be better.  The block heater was marginal as it only heated the water in the general area of where it was installed. 

I found the answer was a water circulator/heater.  It was installed in the lower rad hose.  It not only heated the water but circulated it as well and I'm told that would heat the water enough to open the thermostat allowing water to go thru the whole engine.

I also put in a small cabin heater behind the seat on the floor.  All this was controlled by a 120 v garden time which was set to come on in the early am.  

I'd go out to a warm truck cab and a truck with a warm engine.

1 - Question, where is the block heater on my D13?  I've looked at the schematic but still can't find it.

2 - Question, where can I get a D13 oil dipstick?  The plastic hand broke off mine.  I have to replace the whole thing including the tube for over 100$.  Volvo no longer shows the individual parts available.

Thanks

Thermostat controls flow to the radiator.  No need for it to open it to circulate within the engine.

Warm coolant rises.  It draws cold stuff from below, and is self circulating.  Don't believe me? Go look at an old Farmall.  No water pump.  

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio@yahoo.com