ac in motor home

GlennWest

I am considering, researching now, getting a smaller motorhome. 30-34' for my retirement years. Park our Teton on our property. I found in our Teton with the typical raised bedroom that heat went up there. One ac in livingroom cooled living room fine but all the heat went up. So had to add to bedroom. The motorhome has a flat floor plan. My question is cooling easier? I see motorhomes with one or two acs in this size. I will likely go with 48v mini split. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

16 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

I am considering, researching now, getting a smaller motorhome. 30-34' for my retirement years

Glenn are you done with all the planning and installation on the one with that HUGE Solar and battery system we all helped with this past time ??

We already downsized for retirement choosing a small 29 footer since we love National Parks and going up n down mountains and need to be nimble and very mobile fitting into many of the smaller and limited space Natl Park campgrounds. In that size if a single AC isn't enough we just go higher in elevation or further North lol

John T

34 minutes ago, Pat & Pete said:

We have a 36' Monaco Monarch .

Most of the time the front AC does a good job of cooling the whole MH . Once in a while during 100+° we run both ACs . 

Thanks Pat, that was what I looking for. 36' in a fifth wheel bedroom would be warm. In retirement mode don't intend to be in 100+ weather. Will do mini split 48v and likely one 18k unit. Now that is if i can find a place fot the inside unit. There are no 48v cassettes.  And John, not yet. Work not picked up good yet. Got the funds but on extended benefits. Don't chance spending it. Soon as work picks up first on agenda. Thinking on motorhome just one inverter and 48v mini split. One inverter is 30 amps and with ac off of it should be plenty. Have to pickup another battery pack.

Edited by GlennWest

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

1 hour ago, GlennWest said:

The motorhome has a flat floor plan. My question is cooling easier?

Imagine two vehicles of the same size with identical insulation.  The two-level version's of the upper bedroom will be hotter, and its living room will be cooler.  Warm air rises.

If you have a flat floor plan, the average inside temperature will be the same as a two-level floor plan. The living room would be hotter (because there's no place for the warm air to rise to) and the bedroom would be cooler.

Maybe figure out a way to sleep comfortably in your living room on hot days.  It will be cooler than that of a flat floor plan, all other things being equal.

Volvo 770, New Horizons Majestic and an upcoming Smart car

4 hours ago, Trainer said:

Glenn,  I sent you a message with my phone number.   Did you not receive that message?

Just inform me what you like or dislike about them. Then everyone can benefit for it.

A small portable fan in a MH circulates air efficiently. DW has a battery-powered 18" one she bought from QVC that is very quiet (I can't hear it running on low or med) and move air from one end of our MH to the other very well. We've tried it with both chilled and warmed air.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

11 hours ago, Pat & Pete said:

Most of the time the front AC does a good job of cooling the whole MH . Once in a while during 100+° we run both ACs . 

We just replaced the 20-yr-old 13.5 BTU A/C's in our 40' Beaver with 15k BTU Coleman Mach 8+ heat pumps.  The change was dramatic.  I'm sure the old units were dirty but I never appreciated how much more cooling we would get.  We are in coastal TX and the temp and humidity has been horrible, but we're actually quite comfortable and the front A/C carries most of the load even on 95+ days.  
Furthermore these new units draw ~12 A while the old ones were more like ~16 A

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

10 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

Are you saying just running one it is comfortable throughout the coach?

No, we're running both but the two thermostats are set the same and the rear one hardly runs because the air flow from the front unit is enough to cool the coach until the very hottest part of the day.  Admittedly, we face into the afternoon sun, so the rear has a lower heat load.

But, it's also worth noting, that I have both fans set to low; there's much more air flow than there was with the Dometics that were replaced.  Coleman claims that the use of a separate fan on the outdoor condenser allows the unit to develop its full cooling potential (15k BTU) even on low speed.  I can't prove or disprove that, but they do provide a lot of cooling.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

24 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

Well I will change to mini split. I also intend to be in the 35' range. Thinking 18k in center of coach.

I would go  up to 30kBTUH as a minimum for a 35' RV.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

That is more than I use on my 40' Teton. I only have 24k and stay very comfortable. And all the motorhomes I have looked at have much lower ceilings than I do. I have to get on a step ladder to get to my ceiling. I am looking at a 2006 National Dolphin 34'. It is 50 amp with 1 ducted ac. Most that can be is 15k.

Edited by GlennWest

2 hours ago, Lou Schneider said:

But if you're smart you can insulate the area where the roof ducts ran instead of just having an air gap between the inside ceiling and the roof.

Not without taking the roof off.