Early voting?

Kirk W

38 minutes ago, durangodon said:

Short answer is No.

I haven't gotten any political mail at all, but I've received a boatload of spam text from various political factions.  I usually make it clear that there's no way I would vote for anyone represented by such rude and selfish intrusions.

You need a new server if you are receiving SPAM - in your in-box.

Not sure of SPAM "text" on cell phones - but none there either.

Phone telemarketers have neither increased or decreased - about 3 per day - my land line goes to silent answering.

As far as political mail (via USPS) - haven't seen that either -or- the usual weekly grocery store "specials".

The last one makes you wonder.  Glad I don't get prescriptions (or baby chicks)  by mail !!

The delay of Rx from the VA for Vets - smacks of another "bounty" on those who served - as well as active military!

Both can be life threatening!

28 minutes ago, Pappy Yokum said:

You need a new server if you are receiving SPAM - in your in-box.

Not sure of SPAM "text" on cell phones - but none there either.

Phone telemarketers have neither increased or decreased - about 3 per day - my land line goes to silent answering.

As far as political mail (via USPS) - haven't seen that either -or- the usual weekly grocery store "specials".

The last one makes you wonder.  Glad I don't get prescriptions (or baby chicks)  by mail !!

The delay of Rx from the VA for Vets - smacks of another "bounty" on those who served - as well as active military!

Both can be life threatening!

Not sure why you quoted me.

I'm not getting SPAM in my inbox,  my email server filters those out just fine.

Telemarketers go to voicemail on my phone.

I didn't mention prescriptions or Vets, don't know how that got in there.

I do get texts from political organizations touting their candidate or asking who I'm voting for, but I already stated how I handle them.

4 hours ago, durangodon said:

Not sure why you quoted me.

I'm not getting SPAM in my inbox,  my email server filters those out just fine.

Telemarketers go to voicemail on my phone.

I didn't mention prescriptions or Vets, don't know how that got in there.

I do get texts from political organizations touting their candidate or asking who I'm voting for, but I already stated how I handle them.

Should have limited my quote to your statement only:

"I haven't gotten any political mail at all. but I've received a boat load of spam text from various political factions".

You didn't say if -

The "boatload of spam text from various political factions" - was somehow  *not* political??

Was -  "spam text" received on your cell phone - or spam to your e-mail (or?) address?

Well  - thanks for the clarification - correction - slap on the wrist of the hand at the keyboard, or whatever!

The remainder of my post was generic thoughts to the original post by Kirk - sorry it caused *you* any grief !!...😕

2 minutes ago, durangodon said:

Sending "texts" is how the younger world communicates now

My wife and I aren't young but we communicate via text all the time.  Texts are a convenient way of sending a thought or two without the need to make a phone call.  Compared to voice calls they have the added advantage of leaving a written record.

Actually using a phone to make a voice call is "so 20th century."

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

2 minutes ago, docj said:

My wife and I aren't young but we communicate via text all the time.  Texts are a convenient way of sending a thought or two without the need to make a phone call.  Compared to voice calls they have the added advantage of leaving a written record.

You're right and I text often instead of calling friends and family.  What I don't do is text people I don't know and ask them who they're voting for or try to convince them to vote for my preferred candidate.   I consider that rude and intrusive.

I totally support and encourage people to exercise their freedom to discuss politics and take polls.  I think they should set up a table under a shade tree on public property or in a mall or whatever.  They can put up a sign informing those who are interested to join and participate.  Or, if they just want to campaign, they can get a soapbox and stand on the street corner and make a speech or two.

4 hours ago, docj said:

X2. I also like that my receiver does not need to be on my schedule to text since I never know when our daughter will be on her next rest break from driving. Our daughter is 50, does that qualify as younger? :)

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

14 hours ago, durangodon said:

What I don't do is text people I don't know and ask them who they're voting for or try to convince them to vote for my preferred candidate.   I consider that rude and intrusive.

I'd much rather get a Spam text than an annoying automated phone call.  I can ignore and/or easily delete a text.Answering the phone is more intrusive IMO.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

1 hour ago, docj said:

I'd much rather get a Spam text than an annoying automated phone call.  I can ignore and/or easily delete a text.Answering the phone is more intrusive IMO.

So would I.  My phone has a feature named Call Screen.  When I get a call that is in my contacts list, it rings.  If the call source is not in my contacts, the call is answered by Google Assistant which tells the caller that their call is being answered by my automated assistant.  And then asks them to record their message.  

I haven't received a single voice spam call that has rung through, since turning on the Call Screen feature.  Call screen is only available on Google Pixel phones at this time.   Hopefully, it and/or something like it will become widely available.

Volvo 770, New Horizons Majestic and an upcoming Smart car

2 hours ago, docj said:

I can understand that.  I don't answer calls though if the number is not in my phone book.  Plus, when i get a text, I get a reminder every few minutes afterward to let me know I got a text, so I have to do something with it.  Truth is, I don't like either unsolicited calls or texts or emails, or snail mail, or front porch visits, or flyovers with leaflets.

48 minutes ago, durangodon said:

Plus, when i get a text, I get a reminder every few minutes afterward to let me know I got a text

I'm sure you can change the app's settings and keep that from happening.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

2 hours ago, durangodon said:

I don't answer calls though if the number is not in my phone book.

X2. I do, usually, listen to at least the first part of a message if they leave one.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van