Securing Smart Car Ramps to Truck Bed (dont rely on friction alone)

Brad NSW

Is anyone relying on friction alone to secure the ramps to their beds?  If so, I had an interesting mishap. 

Driving off in Gettysburg, PA, the bottom drivers side frame scraped the ramp off the bed!

Left front tire was hanging in mid-air (sorry I didn't have the presence of mind to snap a photo).  A couple of young men helped me lift the Smart up, while the DW slid the ramp under the wheel and back on the bed.

Drove her off and immediately drilled holes into the frame, through the ramps.  Now I insert 2" long bolts to prevent a recurrence.

Clearance has always been close but guess the angles lined up just right so the frame scraped the ramp off.

2094790416_NewHorizonsmall.jpg.b597b886c0fa2457938fb2cfe3e6cd0b.jpg

2010 Freightliner, DD15 Eaton Ultrashift, 2015 New Horizons 5th Wheel.

Occupants - Dena/Brad/Hershey    BLOG LINK

500964784_statemapDec2020.jpg.66ea16945a2c1c745783b95e33e702c9.jpg

Glad you didn't end up as a you-tube video.  We have a simple arrangement which secures our ramp, as the ramp itself has a flange protruding down, which slips into a pocket on the side of the truck.  No bolts, pins, or other hardware to loose.

Friction.....where is it when you need it?

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I'm brave, but not that brave. Always used ratchet straps to keep the ramps on the truck. That had to be an eye opening ride.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

I have the channels the ramp flange sits down in.

U6Mqmqbl.jpg

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

I actually screw a bolt in the ramp now. I used simply friction first few times. When I discovered one moved backwards some on me, I changed that. Glad no one or anything hurt. 

Edited by GlennWest

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Her'Bolting down front chocks was time consuming as well as sometimes a problem with threads getting messed up.  So this is how it's done now.hLDLnG7l.jpg

u8ua58al.jpg

RumZI3Xl.jpg

Instead of bolting the chocks on the front, I use 2" ratchet strap with a hook to hook onto the truck mounted bar with the pin in it.  Less grief.

Gravity Securement...always fails :)
Glad it worked out ok, Brad. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

On 7/16/2020 at 10:32 PM, GeorgiaHybrid said:

2 bolts per ramp and not an issue. Then again, every Herrin bed I have ever looked at had that arrangement and funny thing, never have heard of a car sliding the ramp off the bed....

Mine was the 2nd smart bed that Larry Herrin built. I don't "know" about the 1st one but he built mine, like you said, with 2 bolts per ramp. The man knows what he is doing. I changed the bolts out with detent pins many years ago. But in 10 years, neither ramp has moved at all. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

6 hours ago, Big5er said:

Mine was the 2nd smart bed that Larry Herrin built. I don't "know" about the 1st one but he built mine, like you said, with 2 bolts per ramp. The man knows what he is doing. I changed the bolts out with detent pins many years ago. But in 10 years, neither ramp has moved at all. 

I switched the bolts out for the detent pins 2 years ago,  The ramp foot still sits on the deck but the angle iron bolted to the foot sits in a stainless build out on the side of the deck.