Just Emptied My Water Tank into Park's System

Zulu

Turned my water pump off. Filled up my water tank and left my RV's water intake valve open to the park's system. Then I turned my water pump back on so I have the option of choosing between park water or RV tank water at the flick of a switch.

That's worked fine until today. After I while I noticed my RV water pump pumping away, but we weren't using the sink, toilet, washer, etc. When I checked my water tank level, it was two-thirds empty. Where'd the water go?

I noticed that when I closed my RV's water intake valve, my water pump stopped. So apparently I had been pumping my water tank into the campground system.

I've had this happen at another park when the backflow valve failed on the water spigot I was connected to. However, in that case my water tank emptied on the ground near the spigot.

Is this another case of a failed backflow valve?

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

4 minutes ago, Zulu said:

Turned my water pump off. Filled up my water tank and left my RV's water intake valve open to the park's system. Then I turned my water pump back on so I have the option of choosing between park water or RV tank water at the flick of a switch.

That's worked fine until today. After I while I noticed my RV water pump pumping away, but we weren't using the sink, toilet, washer, etc. When I checked my water tank level, it was two-thirds empty. Where'd the water go?

I noticed that when I closed my RV's water intake valve, my water pump stopped. So apparently I had been pumping my water tank into the campground system.

I've had this happen at another park when the backflow valve failed on the water spigot I was connected to. However, in that case my water tank emptied on the ground near the spigot.

Is this another case of a failed backflow valve?

If I'm not mistaken, you should have a backflow valve on your coach at the city water inlet.  If it's not working properly, when you take the city line off and run the pump, you would be spraying water back out of your city water inlet.

1 hour ago, Zulu said:

It would indicate that the city water supply has a very low supply pressure if you are able to pump water from the tank to the city system. Most RV park hydrants have a back flow preventer on the hydrant and in most cases are required to have that. In addition, the city water connection should also have a check valve in it to prevent that from happening. In this case, both would have to fail or be missing.

watts-toilet-flush-valve-parts-8bi-64_30    050602_1.jpg?sw=195&sh=195&sm=fit

The first is what is typically found on a city water hydrant, the second is a typical RV fitting. There are several different styles of each of them.

An easy way to see if water is going into the city supply is to just turn it off at the hydrant, leaving everything connected as it is. If that is where the water is going the pump should quickly stop.

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

When you fill your tank with fresh water you turn your intake valve to fill. When you are done filling your fresh water tank you should turn the valve back to to city water. Only turn on your pump when you are not hooked up to city water and are running off your fresh water tank. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

2 hours ago, Twotoes said:

When you fill your tank with fresh water you turn your intake valve to fill. When you are done filling your fresh water tank you should turn the valve back to to city water. Only turn on your pump when you are not hooked up to city water and are running off your fresh water tank. 

We will, on occasion, turn our onboard pump on(we make sure there is water in the tank) to get a  higher flow from the existing cg hookup especially if the CG is full. 

2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304-Spartan Chassis-Cummins ISL 425hp-2013 Chevrolet Equinox AWD Towed-SKP# 120487-FMCA #402879-

3 hours ago, jc2 said:

We will, on occasion, turn our onboard pump on(we make sure there is water in the tank) to get a  higher flow from the existing cg hookup especially if the CG is full. 

I agree with twotoes. I always close the city water faucet when the pump is on, otherwise if the back-flow prevention device fails, I just contaminated the CG water distribution system.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

On 7/6/2020 at 5:59 PM, Ray,IN said:

I agree with twotoes. I always close the city water faucet when the pump is on, otherwise if the back-flow prevention device fails, I just contaminated the CG water distribution system.

"I just contaminated the CG water distribution system"

You realized the potential........(Yikes!!) - wonder how many do not?...😕

1 hour ago, Pappy Yokum said:

"I just contaminated the CG water distribution system"

You realized the potential........(Yikes!!) - wonder how many do not?...😕

RVers staying at a campground should not have to worry about this. I believe campground's are required to have back flow preventers and to periodically check them.

On my side, it was an easy fix (Camco 23402). However, campgrounds are responsible for keeping their back-flow preventers operating.

Also, I would guess there are a whole bunch of RVers who know little if nothing about campground electrical issues (low voltage, open grounds, etc.).

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

4 hours ago, Zulu said:

Also, I would guess there are a whole bunch of RVers who know little if nothing about campground electrical issues (low voltage, open grounds, etc.).

I am sure that is true, but how is it related to the water issue? 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

On 7/8/2020 at 2:34 PM, Zulu said:

RVers staying at a campground should not have to worry about this. I believe campground's are required to have back flow preventers and to periodically check them.

On my side, it was an easy fix (Camco 23402). However, campgrounds are responsible for keeping their back-flow preventers operating.

Your response just told the OP what he happened is improbable.  What is your opinion of where his tank of water went?

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961