Quartzite

New to the club and looking for details to plan our Jan. 2021 trip to Quartzite. We were wondering if the Escapees gather together to camp on the BLM land. Having never been there, we thought it would be fun (and wise) to camp with others who know the ropes. Any guidance, info., etc. will be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

2015 Forest River Rockwood Signature Series Ultra Lite 8289WS w/ Diamond Pkg.

2014 RAM CTD 6.7 Tradesman 4WD Crew Cab Long Bed  😀

Honda eu2200i generators

Daisy May, the Golden Doodle Wonderdog

Join the Boomer BOF (Birds of Feather) and you'll have a ball during their stay in Quartzsite.  It's usually held the  last 2 weeks in Jan. during the big Q RV show.  Once you join you'll receive a monthly email of upcoming activities.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Different BOFs hold get togethers in Q during the winter, usually in January.  Find a BOF or two or three and find out where their get together will be located.  The Escapees also hold a get together during January for a day (maybe longer?).

All this is assuming that it will still be business as usual in Q this winter due to COVID.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

37 minutes ago, ColoradoGlenn said:

best guess what's going to happen with Quartzsite

A major part of what happens in Quartzsite is unplanned and spontaneous. In fact, that spontaneity is part of the attraction. I doubt that the BLM will close the LTVA's but they may well stop providing the services there which have been provided in the past. If you are thinking of the RV Show, the website still shows it happening. You may also want to contact the Quartzsite Area Chamber of Commerce to see what they know. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

BLM didn’t close the LTVAs in March, so I would assume they will be open as usual in November.  There’s really no way to totally close them off anyway.  It will be interesting to see what services will be provided though - will the BLM have enough money in their budget to let the trash contract?  Or to hire the camp hosts that keep an eye on things (the 14-day free areas have camp hosts also).  People are still going to come for the season, so I would assume that they would have to provide services as usual.

Whether all of the regular Quartzsite activities (vendors, RV show etc.) turn up and it’s business as usual remains to be seen.  I hope that it all happens as usual - I love the cinnamon buns.

My memory says La Posa South LTVA has a gate they can close. I don't know why I would think that, though, since I've never been there off season. Maybe during a gov't shutdown?

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

With the Forest Service I have been at a location where they paid me mileage along with my site. And later at different sites i got $45. flat per week per diem.  And if I recall The Lincoln NF would pay $10. per day for 3 days per week per deim.    I think it was BLM  that had at least one site that had a per deim of $115. per week.  It was seriously remote.  With the budget in recent years I have not received the per deim for quite a few years.  I guess I thought about this in regard to the host at Quartzite since it is remote.

1 hour ago, 2gypsies said:

Here's the latest stance on BLM in Arizona.  By Quartzsite time read the current rulings before just going there.  Should be interesting.

https://www.blm.gov/alert/az-covid-19-updates

At this time of year stays are free but limits are 14 days then you must move at least 25 miles. The easiest way to do this is to move back and forth between Quartzsite and the Midland LTVA north of Blythe, CA, two towns which are, conveniently, 25 miles apart along I-10. Neither is offering any services at this point in time but their websites list places you can dump. Camping fees begin being charged September 15th.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

It will be interesting to see if the Canadians come down for the winter. There are travel restrictions on moving around in Canada right now. As of today, people from Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and Newfoundland can now go to P.E.I. without further restrictions. Canadians from OTHER provinces must self quarantine for 14 days, including register with govt authorities, designate a person that will shop for them, etc.. Cranky Uncle Tom from Ontario got ratted out to the RCMP for jumping on the riding mower and going over to another cousins cottage to mow the lawn. RCMP did a visit..LOL He's got ONE warning, next one, he could be booted off the island.

12 hours ago, sandsys said:

My memory says La Posa South LTVA has a gate they can close. I don't know why I would think that, though, since I've never been there off season. Maybe during a gov't shutdown?

Linda

While I think there’s gates at the main entrances to all 4 LTVAs near Q, I can think of a number of relatively easy ways to get into all of them that aren’t gated.  Some of them aren’t ones I’d want to pull my low trailer through, but there’s at least one way in that I would.  Plus there’s the 14-day free areas that are not gated at all.

The BLM didn’t close the LTVAs back in March and April when so much was shut down, so I’m expecting the LTVAs will be open as usual this winter.  I sure hope so as I’m now more or less planning on going back this year, regardless of whether there’s an RV show or not.

1 hour ago, hemsteadc said:

I wouldn't expect them to be closed as they weren't in the spring. Doesn't make any sense to close a place where you can choose to be far apart.   I am also going back in October.  

I don't think you can compare spring not being closed as what it's going to be in October.  In spring the 'season' was about over for Q and besides, this was being called a hoax and not to worry.  Now that things have changed drastically in this country, especially in Arizona, I think it's a bit premature to plan on it.  

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

37 minutes ago, 2gypsies said:

In spring the 'season' was about over for Q and besides, this was being called a hoax and not to worry.  

Well, it's the Federal Government, so with any luck it will still be a hoax and will be open this fall.  That's sarcasm.

Edited by hemsteadc

22 hours ago, hemsteadc said:

Well, it's the Federal Government, so with any luck it will still be a hoax and will be open this fall.  That's sarcasm.

The Big Cahuna said you should drink (or inject) Clorox or Lysol  - also sarcasm  (or so he said...later). 

However - amazing how many calls there were to info lines -  and 911 - to see if it were true and OK !!...😕

Been there twice as we just happened to be in the area on a road trip since it is over 2K miles from our S&B. I am sure escapes will have a circle IF Q happens this year. We would take a pass this year due to the uncertainty of travel. We had a bad enough time  getting back from Florida this spring. "Q" is a experience and should be on your to do list.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

1 hour ago, richfaa said:

I am sure escapes will have a circle IF Q happens this year.

There are usually groups of Escapee members parked together, even if they are not part of a club sponsored group. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

• 1 month later...
On 6/29/2020 at 7:55 PM, 2gypsies said:

Join the Boomer BOF (Birds of Feather) and you'll have a ball during their stay in Quartzsite.  It's usually held the  last 2 weeks in Jan. during the big Q RV show.  Once you join you'll receive a monthly email of upcoming activities.

Edited by Jeff and Shelly Modesitt

Latest thing I’ve seen is they are still planning on doing the show.  There will be changes to the layout and other steps taken to meet health guidelines, but the promoter is working with Quartzsite town management.  Masks will be mandatory, aisles will be wider and one way (will the visitors pay attention to that any more than at Walmart?) and other things.

I wonder how many of the vendors will show up, since I suspect there will be fewer people there.  Or maybe there will be similar numbers, with many of the normal annual people not coming being replaced by new people?  Any guesses on that point?