Big Brother is Watching

SuiteSuccess

I have tried it both ways. Leaving the phone on, or turning it off before it goes into the pouch. It doesn't seem to make any difference in battery life. Leaving it on is a little easier, as soon as it come out of the pouch it looks for a signal. I don't have to wait for it to boot up.

And turning the phone off doesn't turn off all the functions. The phone can be tricked into pinging towers and transmitting location data. Here is an article which explains who can do it and how.

Every day one "app" or another is exposed as some fraudulent way to get to you. Frankly I don't trust any attempt at setting my privacy settings on any device more complicated than the AM radio in the instrument panel of my 1951 Studebaker. 

https://techpp.com/2013/08/22/track-phone-turned-off/

Make sure you have your metallic protective headgear securely strapped on.  (Tin hat)

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

Newer farm equipment has gps tracking. There is an antenna in the cab. Its used to send information directly to the computer in the house. If I am planting it tells what field and variety seed population and the date plated. At harvest the combine will send harvest data. Again what field I'm in, what crop I'm harvesting and the yield.

But, it does one other thing. I can get on my john deere .com. log in to my page and find exactly where my equipment is. I can see if its running. I can see the gauges. Pretty much see everything. The scary thing is so can the dealer. If we miss a payment they push a button and disable it. Then they know exactly where to come get it. We don't have that problem because everything is paid off right now but you get the point.

My AH HA moment was a few years ago when we got the new combine. The guy installing the business band radio accidentally cut the wire to the internal antenna. A day or so later a tech from the dealership showed up and said they cant find our combine. I pointed at it and said its right there. How can you not find it. HE said no it disappeared off the computer. AH HA. they are watching.

This all ties in with our right to repair our own equipment. to diagnose a problem you need to plug into a computer. To do that you need Deere software. Only dealers are allowed to have that. They will not allow the public to buy it. So, they force us to go to the dealer for a lot of problems. But that is another story for another day.

Just for fun I checked My John deere .com. a few minutes ago.  The tractor I sold last spring is sitting in front of the guys shop outside of Albany Missouri. I forgot I need to get that off out account.

Edited by jenandjon

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

7 minutes ago, Pat & Pete said:

I thought monopolies were illegal . 

Since you don’t have to buy John Deer equipment it isn’t a monopoly. 

Jeanandhon, I have friends who use John Deee tractors and one also has a JD combine and the other has a Gleaner. Both run GPS systems in all equipment but never mentioned that issue. I guess I need to ask them about it. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

45 minutes ago, Pat & Pete said:

I thought monopolies were illegal . 

Only when our judicial system has declared a party to be a monopoly.  To the best of my knowledge, that has not happened.  Do you have contrary evidence?

Volvo 770, New Horizons Majestic and an upcoming Smart car

A similar scenario existed  with automobiles. The software required to service them was proprietary and not available to independent repair shops. It took a while for their lobbying groups to convince Congress to force the auto makers to give access to that software. 

But that was a consumer product. Such does not exist for HDT's as an example. You usually cannot buy the software needed to service your Kenworth, Freightliner or others. If you can it is prohibitively  expensive. 

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

If they want to know where you are, they will just track your phone. As you have that with you more then your car. The government does not care about where your car is or was. 
Don’t be fooled, they have been watching us for a while. Heck there are tag readers all over that track you if they wanted to. 

I could careless as I have nothing to hide and am not doing anything illegal. 

Edited by rynosback

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

On 7/30/2020 at 3:02 PM, beyerjf said:

Such does not exist for HDT's as an example. You usually cannot buy the software needed to service your Kenworth, Freightliner or others. If you can it is prohibitively  expensive. 

Mechanics can get the software for the engines. Cummins, Cat, Detroit I am unsure about Mercedes. They just cant do anything with the truck its self.  Mack will not release their software for the engines. I assume Volvo is the same being they are the same company.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.