Thoughts on where this water is coming from

trimster

In our search for a HDT, one rolled into the Volvo dealership (consignment) just off the road. 2015 630, bit over 500k miles. The small trucking firm has bought all their trucks from this dealer over the years, so they know him well. He runs 5 or so rigs. The nice thing about this truck is that it has not been detailed.. It is what it was when it drove in. Outside looks like a truck off the road during winter. Under the dirt is a really good looking exterior. Minimal rust on the rear frame and drive gear. The interior is another story. It's really, really dirty. And the dude was a smoker. So there's that.

Question(s):

- smoke smell, can it be neutralized?

- The attached images show water marks on the interior fabric. Link to a .zip file of the images . Some water marks around the rear ceiling speakers, overhead windshield storage. Thoughts on what caused those and can the source be sealed? The salesman said it is common for these trucks that run on the east coast (it has a NY road tag on the front and Utah plates), and the top seam can be resealed. True? False?

- The shots of the dash and the passengers seat give you and idea of the interior dirt situation.

Here's a link to the truck from the dealer: We are going to aggressively work on the price. https://www.mountainwesttruckcenter.net/inventory/?/listings/trucks/for-sale/191435343/2016-volvo-vnl64t630?dlr=1&pcid=420970&src=0&sfc=0&ssc=0&sps=0&snai=0&title=Used+Trucks

The good news is, with the lack of detailing, all leaks in the engine compartment are visible. And there's little. A bit of oil buildup at the rear passengers side of the valve cover. It's really nice. Obviously a cared for motor. Nothing patched or jerry-rigged. I gave it a pretty good visual and they will let me spend as much time as I like digging into the rig, going down the checklist. Pulled  the cap on the crankcase and sniff... smells like good engine. Not sour or damp. The dealer has done zero on this truck.

I am planning on getting an oil analysis, extensive DOT inspection, the computer dump (there is a warning on startup about an exterior light). Hopefully I can find someone local (Salt lake City) who owns ones a Volvo to give it a spin and offer input. And putting in the deal (if we get close on price) that it be detailed.

Thoughts on the water damage and all other advice welcome.

Bob & Lisa

Ceiling-small.jpeg

Robert & Lisa
'14 Keystone Fuzion 315 38' 5er

2015 Volvo VNL 670, D13, iShift 'The Tartis' (ours)

2013 Smart Fortwo Passion 'K-9'

2011 CanAm Spyder RT Limited (Ours)

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

Smoke smell can often be reduced alot or even eliminated with ozone air purification.  I've used one in a new car, letting it run for some days until the smells(new car, etc.) are gone.  Also, have construction company.  I am sensitive to smoke smell and when I have it in the trucks, out comes the ozone purifier and it will run in the truck cab all weekend.  Many weekends if need be.

Marcel

Short answer it is not "common" for these trucks to leak.  Saying that mine did and resealing the top cab seam took care of the issue.  Your pics show a lot of leakage and I would be very leery of that.  You can try getting smoke smell out with an ozone generator but that can risk insulation around the wiring.  Again it looks like the dude driving this smoked a lot.  Most folks with smoke have basically had to strip the interior and replace the insulation that has been permeated with smoke.  If you pull the panels you will probably see the staining.  Not trying to be totally negative but someone who didn't take care of the inside where they "live" probably didn't take care of the outside either.  Unless it was a really good price, I'd be suspicious.  But remember enough money can fix alot of ills.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Robert,

I just joined this site last night as my wife and I have just started down the workamping path and having drove my way through college I certainly realize the benefits of going with an HDT.  Our plan is to put our 06 Wing in a toy hauler we're interested in and head out...  Personally, I could never do anything previously smoked in, not even a hotel room.  I've never seen the smell completely removed from a car much less all the plastic and fabric in an HDT.  And the only water stains I want to start out with are on the outside of a boat hull. There are far far too many nicer used HTDs available.

I saw your post on the green Volvo in Carrollton, GA last night just prior to registering.  Oddly enough, I live 30 min from that place and turned the key on that very truck last Saturday.  It's a very nice truck, has good rubber all around and clean.  My wife even liked it and I would definitely consider buying it myself; however, I don't trust my county to approve registering it (or another tractor) as a motor home as they've never done it.  So, until I can make the case for them to do so, I'm not shelling out the cash.  The dealership in Carrollton, GA is family owned and operated, started by the dad some 30 years ago.  They have a lot more HDTs that I ever realized just driving past there over the years, and they can even stretch frames they told me. 

Although the youngest son is VP of Sales, the eldest son works 30 min on the other side of me as the Fleet Salesman for Werner Enterpises in Lithia Springs, GA.  In fact that was the first place I visited last Friday.  Armed with decades ago memories of OTR driver cabs, I was absolutely astonished at the good condition of the used Werner trucks - apparently they insist their drivers take good care of them for resale. They only had 10 or 12 here last week and they were all Frieghtliners & KW's.   The complete irony of all this is that I never met any of these folks prior to last Friday, then thinks really got Twilight Zone-ish when I saw your pic of the green tractor last night! 

Werner has nearly a dozen Fleet Sale locations across the nation and a good sortable site: 

https://www.wernerfleetsales.com/locations?gclid=Cj0KCQiAqNPyBRCjARIsAKA-WFxLODCV4lGWa6JeIXGoqMA1yNtqk0EnB0nc9PQ7zoL39YIM8UyAQ0YaAuGiEALw_wcB  

Here's a link to Knight fleet sales and they also have SWIFT fleet tractors as well,  In fact here's the link to a Volvo in SLC:

https://www.knighttrucksales.com/inventory/?/listings/trucks/for-sale/109274233/2015-volvo-vnl64t670?ACTY=salt+lake+city&dlr=1&pcid=2000763740&sfc=0&ssc=0&lo=3&title=Salt+Lake+City%2c+UT

Of course there are many other fleets out there that should be requiring their drivers to be clean.

I hope this helps.

Thanks folks. Appreciate the input.

WingNuts... ironic isn't it. The only thing my wife has issues with on the green truck is the lack of side fairings. Guess chrome is a guy thing.

I might still get that truck. They have been very helpful over the phone and understand the distance thing.

Bob & Lisa

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

Just a quick comment on the water. I have a ‘12 630. Mine has no signs of water from the headliner. It has been inside for the last 3 months. 2 weeks ago I used it for 4 days, spending a couple nights in the truck. The last day, I had a couple times where the water dropped down out of that center storage cubby in the headliner. I have to assume that there was condensation collecting on the inside of the roof, which melted and ran down.

We're walking away from this truck. The yellow pig-pen. I think it would be a lot of work to get the smoke smell out. Like pulling the interior and replacing the insulation, deep cleaning, etc. I don't think the price will come down enough to offset the personal downtime and work.

From several others, the leaking is probably coming from a bad roof seal where the roof meets the cab sides. Re-sealing seems to be the fix.

Thanks for the input folks. Means a lot.

Bob & Lisa

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

That truck is far dirtier and worn than my 1.3 million mile 2005 truck.   Even at a give away price you could chase issues for ever.    Your instinct is correct, if it looks like a rat it IS a rat.     There are way too many truck to settle for a junk pile.

By the way, that green truck is SHARP.     You could add fairings if you or your wife wanted, with paint and installation it would be maybe a couple thousand?     That would be sourcing used fairings with all the hardware and paint to match.      Not a big fan of green but that truck is very nice and that wears green well.

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

8 hours ago, Moresmoke said:

Just a quick comment on the water. I have a ‘12 630. Mine has no signs of water from the headliner. It has been inside for the last 3 months. 2 weeks ago I used it for 4 days, spending a couple nights in the truck. The last day, I had a couple times where the water dropped down out of that center storage cubby in the headliner. I have to assume that there was condensation collecting on the inside of the roof, which melted and ran down.

That is where I noticed the water.  It would drip from the curtain rail.  On my780 thought it was skylight or windshield.  Turns out the two “channels” on top were missing some sealant.  Resealing solved the leak.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

If the green truck were white, red, gray, or black, I'd be headed for Georgia.  But alas........ DW says we're not adding another color to the mix.  It really appears to be a nice truck.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

21 hours ago, trimster said:

We're walking away from this truck. The yellow pig-pen. I think it would be a lot of work to get the smoke smell out. Like pulling the interior and replacing the insulation, deep cleaning, etc. I don't think the price will come down enough to offset the personal downtime and work.

From several others, the leaking is probably coming from a bad roof seal where the roof meets the cab sides. Re-sealing seems to be the fix.

Thanks for the input folks. Means a lot.

Bob & Lisa

I was very glad to read this.  Walking away was your best option on that particular truck.

There are a lot of non-smoking trucks out there.  Ours was a non-smoker and we have had zero water issues.  That truck had problems written all over it.

Keep looking, you'll find something.

(I and some others on this site had real good luck with RDO in Fargo ND.  Ask for John.)

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

Ive had 2 trucks with fairings. All they are good for is to break and get in the way when you want to work on something. Oh you want battery access? HAHA you have to take 6 rusted bolts out of this expensive fiberglass.  NOPE.  Well that was a Kenworth t600. Maybe Volvo is different.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

On 2/25/2020 at 5:29 PM, trimster said:

Thanks folks. Appreciate the input.

WingNuts... ironic isn't it. The only thing my wife has issues with on the green truck is the lack of side fairings. Guess chrome is a guy thing.

I might still get that truck. They have been very helpful over the phone and understand the distance thing.

Bob & Lisa

Just a note on side fairings. It was not something I noticed when I bought ours but I can assure you that if your wife wants fairings you had better buy a truck that has them already because she will get what she wants. I say this because adding them is a pricey proposition. I know this from personal experience and we now have them.

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

3 hours ago, jenandjon said:

Ive had 2 trucks with fairings. All they are good for is to break and get in the way when you want to work on something. Oh you want battery access? HAHA you have to take 6 rusted bolts out of this expensive fiberglass.  NOPE.  Well that was a Kenworth t600. Maybe Volvo is different.

Gen II Volvos have easy battery access, even with fairings, no tools required. Our gen l requires removing 4 bolts. Not a bad job.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net