Heated Tire

SuiteSuccess

Asked GeorgiaHybrid and got one opinion but would like some more.  When my brake caliper failed, tire and rim heated up. TPMS said temp to 180, psi 156 and infrared showed rim at 190. Have to replace wheel since it’s gouged and chewed up. Tire looks fine but question is should I also replace the tire?  Goodyear G114 two and 1/2 years old. 

Edited by SuiteSuccess

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Didn’t you mention you were embarking on a rather long trip this time out?  Why start out with a question mark? Change the tire!  I’m “extra” cautious and I would change both on that side. Haven’t you had enough excitement so early in your trip? Piece of mind goes along way to having a more enjoyable trip. You might also look at the “Sailun 637” as an alternative to the “Goodyears”.  Lots of folks have positive things to say about them. Decisions.... decisions! 

16 minutes ago, HERO Maker said:

I would swap it with the spare and contact Goodyear to find out their recommendation with the heat!

X2.  Is the damaged wheel good enough to be a spare?  Does your spare match the other wheels?  Good luck.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Hydraulic brakes with a master cylinder?  Change the rubber brake hose from the hard line to the caliper.

The line may have failed internally and might let fluid to the caliper under pressure, but not let fluid out back to the master cylinder.

My .02 cents

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

Ok to clarify. DM, the heated tire incident occurred during our trip not before.  (We’re still on the road).  Caliper, brake line and bearings all have been inspected and repaired by a reputable trailer repair shop. The tire I referenced has been swapped and is now the spare so it’s not on the ground now. Spare is same tire and wheel. Just when we get to final destination wanted to see if I could locate new tire if folks felt it was necessary. Like the idea of talking to Goodyear. Will try that. 

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

4 hours ago, Parrformance said:

Hydraulic brakes with a master cylinder?  Change the rubber brake hose from the hard line to the caliper.

The line may have failed internally and might let fluid to the caliper under pressure, but not let fluid out back to the master cylinder.

My .02 cents

I specifically asked about the brake line at the repair facility. The head honcho said the newer lines did not have the internal second tube that could break loose and collapse causing what you described. He had a lot of experience with that in older rubber brake lines thus the change in manufacturing.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

21 hours ago, HERO Maker said:

I would swap it with the spare and contact Goodyear to find out their recommendation with the heat!

Hi Carl,

X2. I'm with Rocky on this. Good luck on the trip.

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Thanks everyone. Held on the phone for 30 minutes for Goodyear then got cut off. Think I’m just going to replace. 

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

11 hours ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Thanks everyone. Held on the phone for 30 minutes for Goodyear then got cut off. Think I’m just going to replace. 

Hi Carl,

Remember, peace of mind is " Priceless ". Be safe my friend.

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Hi Carl when we bought our 2011 ms 2 years ago we had bearing failure but also the caliper pins were dry and the caliper would not float,  I don’t know if the sticky pins caused rubbing and heated bearing or if bearing heated pins up. The wheel was hard to turn with both hands plus it was so hot that you could barely touch the aluminum wheel for 1 second at most. We never replaced it, I know we should because dot date is 2010 will replace in spring but no problem with the tire they are the 16 inch Goodyear. 

Thanks Dan. Spoke to the tire guy we’ve used at home for 25 years. He doesn’t think it needs replacing. Regardless it’s the spare for now. 

Edited by SuiteSuccess

2017 DRV 39DBRS3