Frozen pipes..help

I'm traveling back to New England from Phoenix. Last night in Abilene TX it got down to 21 degrees and although heat is 70 degrees in the trailer and I opened all cabinets under the sinks, and hot water heater is on, I now have no water. Outside pipes froze.

Should I keep hot water heater on or try to drain it? What else should I do as it doesn't appear it will be above freezing for a few days.

RoyB

South of Boston

2021 Dodge 2500 - 6.4L

Forest River 19RR Toy Hauler

Roofnest Falcon Rooftop Tent

www.rvbprecision.com

Outside Pipes?  Would that be the water hose from the trailer to the water faucet, or something else?

I would be very concerned about the gray & black water drain pipes and dump valves. 

Any pipes in the externally accessed water and dump compartments probably should have a mechanics trouble light with an incandescent bulb in the compartment when parked for the night. 

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

If you have water in the fresh water tank, check to see if you have water with the pump on. It is very likely that your hose is frozen. I am surprised that the park didn't come by to make sure that all water hydrants were off with hose removed. That is very common in parks we have stayed in.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I am not in a park. I'm on my way back to New England stopping in rest areas. I drained the hot water tank. I believe the hose from the fresh water tank to the pump is frozen under the trailer. none of the hoses in the interior of the trailer are anywhere near Frozen as I had the heater on and even though I am driving now the temperature is in the forties. Instead of heading north east. I'm now headed Southeast. On the weather map it looks like it should get above freezing in San Antonio Texas. Let's hope nothing breaks in the next few hours until I get down there.

RoyB

South of Boston

2021 Dodge 2500 - 6.4L

www.rvbprecision.com

If you have water lines that run under the floor and are not protected from the cold, I would have expected that they would freeze. Our current RV has that same issue and so is not used in freezing weather. With the modern PEX water lines, it probably didn't harm anything. 

There are several reasons that most of us don't leave the Phoenix area before the end of March.

First - SPRING TRAINING is still going on.  And it will be sunny and warm:D

Second - IT IS SNOWING everywhere to the east :o

BUT, if you do leave before the end of March, ALWAYS use I-10 East at least through Texas before heading north! B)

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

1 minute ago, Barbaraok said:

Second - IT IS SNOWING everywhere to the east :o

Hey now, it's not snowing in ND, hasn't for a day or so.  Too darn cold to snow... LOL  We miss phoenix, lived there 6 years way back when.

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

1 minute ago, rbertalotto said:

This year Phoenix was cold as heck! Snow, Hail, Wind, Thunder......like nothing we have ever seen!

Like nothing you've ever seen in Phoenix before, not that has never occurred here.  Part of the problem is that it has been warmer than usual the past few years, and we did get more rain because of the hurricanes last fall that came up the Gulf of California.    We had lower temperatures in 2010-2011 season, but no humidity so it didn't feel so cold during the day.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

2 hours ago, rbertalotto said:

This year Phoenix was cold as heck! Snow, Hail, Wind, Thunder......like nothing we have ever seen!

2 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

Like nothing you've ever seen in Phoenix before, not that has never occurred here.  Part of the problem is that it has been warmer than usual the past few years, and we did get more rain because of the hurricanes last fall that came up the Gulf of California.    We had lower temperatures in 2010-2011 season, but no humidity so it didn't feel so cold during the day.  

Never had to worry about frozen lines, either. Even if I had to wear long pants a month longer than usual.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Glad to hear that Roy!

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

1 hour ago, rbertalotto said:

Made it to San Antonio and blew out all lines, drained tanks and no leaks....

That is one of the nice features of modern plumbing without any copper tubing. The PEX is far more forgiving than copper. 

Just finished 3 1/2 weeks in Denver, then headed south.  Couple good days, then the cold caught up with us.  Using a heated hose + a heat tape on the drain lines/sewer hose has kept us in operation.  Couple of days, the spigot froze and we had to use blow dryer to thaw it out.  Now in Weatherford, TX, area--spigot froze last night but got thru that.  Now have everything 'winterized' and see how it works at 19-20d tonight.

Don't know about your trailer, but we have tank heaters on all tanks. When we travel in cold weather I turn them on soon as we stop. We are camping about 50 miles east of Dallas and it is 22 deg. as we speak. Furnace running, heated water hose and tank heaters, NO frozen water.

VisitedStatesMap.gif.d04cfb2dbf883da9dacf9fb5f04520f6.gif

2917 Keystone Montana 3720 Legacy

14' Ram 3500 DRW 

Heated tanks! No, I'm in a budget trailer. I travel to Southwest every year and return to New England in March. I've never seen it this cold, this far south, for this long. Where is Al Gore? What a pin head!

RoyB

South of Boston

2021 Dodge 2500 - 6.4L

www.rvbprecision.com

9 minutes ago, hemsteadc said:

Uh oh, not this.

LOL, agreed!  No need to talk about a pin head making a fortune flying around in a big private jet creating lots of pollution telling everyone to not pollute.... LOL

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

Archived