Jump to content

Would you pay $150,000 for a brand new Class B? Have you ever owned or considered purchasing one?


Roadtrek 1

Recommended Posts

We had looked at new RVs, but the price was so expensive.   We originally thought we wanted a Winnebago Navion. 

We paid $79,000 plus tax  for a total price of $87,000.  While it seemed expensive a similarly equipped 2017 RS Adventurous at the dealership was $152,000.....

The 2012 model was purchased new by the original owners and only had  26,000 miles with very little wear on the coach.  I was happy to save the $73,000.   Plus, the higher sales tax on the new unit would have been close to $15,000.  As it was the sales tax on my rig was almost $7,000. 

We looked on and off for years and most of the Class B's we saw were either 12 to 15 years and had excessive wear and mileage.  

I've met some people who think that these Class B's shouldn't be this expensive... the price per square foot is somewhat high because of the technology to get all of this into a smaller space and the finishing details. 

One of my essential criteria was the dual wheels and tires for the weight and stability. 

I realize that it doesn't work for everyone's needs and we got this to tour part time.   It's a very small and compact RV with excellent fuel efficiency.   

One of the things I like is that these vehicles meet federal government safety standards and has air bags and safety belts for all the passengers.  While the rig can seat 7 people, we have the optional armorie cabinets for more organization. 

They are certainly a niche market, but, I understand it is a growing segment. 

 

Edited by Roadtrek 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A new RV of any type is going to be relatively expensive today. Even a new travel trailer of 20' or less will list for at least $25,000! Winnebago has class B units with MSRP's ranging from $112k to as much as $153k. So while I would not pay that much for either of these, obviously there are people who do so. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

            images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think it is a niche market.  Not sure if it is growing or not.  I ran across two different high end class C's last year in different campgrounds, both in sites close to us.  What I noticed was that they were seldom at their RV.  One guy who I actually talked to didn't even seem to come back to his unit in the evening.  It turned out he was there to visit relatives and was staying with them.  He claimed he only slept in the class C while on the road going from point A to B.  He said he didn't "trust" motels so he bought the RV.  

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, FL-JOE said:

I think it is a niche market.  Not sure if it is growing or not.  I ran across two different high end class C's last year in different campgrounds, both in sites close to us.  What I noticed was that they were seldom at their RV.  One guy who I actually talked to didn't even seem to come back to his unit in the evening.  It turned out he was there to visit relatives and was staying with them.  He claimed he only slept in the class C while on the road going from point A to B.  He said he didn't "trust" motels so he bought the RV.  

Here's an article about this growing segment, 

https://www.torquenews.com/3768/three-ways-2017-ford-transit-helping-revive-motorhome-market

By the way, anything that gets people interested in RVs is good for anyone that has one. It validates the value and desirability of owning an RV which translates into resale for people. If there were no growing interest in this, people wouldn't purchase them. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We’ve ordered a new Winnebago B and can hardly wait. This will be our 3rd B. Since the first 2, Sprinter based, we’ve tried a Hitchhiker 5er, 2 Lazy Daze C's, & a Foretravel. We found that the B gives us much more flexibility in our travels which more closely matches our way. No reservations, no planning & no towed. If (when) one of us has medical issues, either just an appointment, or a hospital stay, the other has a crash pad. On our first we put 60k miles on in 16 months. It didn’t break us, financially, physically, or mentally. Get what fits your desires.

Dave W. KE5GOH

Stuck in the 70's ---

In E. Texas

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, dewilso said:

We’ve ordered a new Winnebago B and can hardly wait. This will be our 3rd B. Since the first 2, Sprinter based, we’ve tried a Hitchhiker 5er, 2 Lazy Daze C's, & a Foretravel. We found that the B gives us much more flexibility in our travels which more closely matches our way. No reservations, no planning & no towed. If (when) one of us has medical issues, either just an appointment, or a hospital stay, the other has a crash pad. On our first we put 60k miles on in 16 months. It didn’t break us, financially, physically, or mentally. Get what fits your desires.

Dave, thanks for sharing this with me.  So, you had a Foretravel Coach... those are amazing and very expensive....and extremely deluxe, however, they're  like trying to land a jetliner.   

I never understood people who are traveling down the road towing a 40 foot 5th wheel... these are behemoths and look pretty unstable to me...you just can't pull in anywhere with those things.   Just me. 

Are you ordering a new Winnebago Era?  I looked at those as well...

My wife wasn't sure she could like the Class B...it's small for sure and we spend more time outside than inside, but, driving the Class B's are really the easiest and 18-19 MPG is sweet. 

I absolutely agree ...no towed vehicle is necessary....we drive the Mercedes anywhere...I've even taken it through some pretty heavy traffic...80 inches wide is like a full sized SUV...

Tell me....did you find a favorable return on the price when you traded in your previous Class B's.?..  from what I've read they tend to hold a better value than the Class C's.. don't really know too much about Class A and 5th wheel used value?

What a lot of people don't understand is that the Sprinter is a pretty solid chassis and Mercedes Benz is known for their diesel engines.    The only problem is the emissions system....can be an issue....mine was replaced under warranty. 

 

Edited by Roadtrek 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Jaydrvr said:

That seems wildly extravagant - but to each his own. If I were forced to live for a length of time in such a small space, it wouldn't be worth a fraction of that - to me! But then, my style is a 37' fifth wheel and an HDT - for less than half that. Freedom = choice.

Understood,  which is why I decided to purchase it used....

It is a Mercedes Benz diesel and Mercedes are known for being expensive. 

I agree, it's all about choices.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Roadtrek 1 said:

Here's an article about this growing segment, 

https://www.torquenews.com/3768/three-ways-2017-ford-transit-helping-revive-motorhome-market

By the way, anything that gets people interested in RVs is good for anyone that has one. It validates the value and desirability of owning an RV which translates into resale for people. If there were no growing interest in this, people wouldn't purchase them. 

Why does it seem like you are always trying to change our mind?  You asked for our opinion and we gave it.  I’m sorry that no one has wanted to spend 150k on a class B rig.  It just seems strange that you keep asking for them and then defend your opinion.  It is different if someone is asking you your opinion.  Not sure what you are trying to accomplish again.  As I do not think you are looking to replace your class B as you part time RV.  As long as you are happy with your purchase of your class B is the ONLY thing that matters.

Happy travels.

3 hours ago, Darryl&Rita said:

It just keeps on coming.

Ya think?

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Roadtrek 1 said:

Dave, thanks for sharing this with me.  So, you had a Foretravel Coach... those are amazing and very expensive....and extremely deluxe, however, they're  like trying to land a jetliner.   

I REALLY do not get you.  You find someone that is like minded and loves to travel in his B like you.  And you tell him that they are to expensive and drive like they are trying to land a jetliner.  

You really need to learn on how to play well with others.  For some reason you just like to stir the pot.

I was going to place you on my ignore list, but your drama can be very comical at times.  It is like watching an accident that you know is going to happen and it does.

Happy travels.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, rynosback said:

I REALLY do not get you.  You find someone that is like minded and loves to travel in his B like you.  And you tell him that they are to expensive and drive like they are trying to land a jetliner.  

You really need to learn on how to play well with others.  For some reason you just like to stir the pot.

I was going to place you on my ignore list, but your drama can be very comical at times.  It is like watching an accident that you know is going to happen and it does.

Happy travels.

I think he was referring to the Foretravel.......

 

 
 
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Jaydrvr said:

I think he was referring to the Foretravel.......

That is what I understood.  They posted that they had owned a Foretravel. Who wants to hear that there rig drove like a jet liner?  It is different if I owned that rig and make comments, as I own the rig and have experience owning it.  Plus that poster did ask what he thought about it. Just the fact that he owned it.  Who wants to hear negative things about there rig?  Unless asked.  As to me it makes you feel that you are an idiot and made a poor buying decision.  There also seems to be a financial theme in his posts.  Not sure why as he owns 3 homes in a market that has nothing but upside. 

You should read the threads he has started.  Maybe he does not communicate his thoughts properly?  As sometimes you need to figure out what people are really asking about.  He still stumps me and several other members that have commented.

 

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, rynosback said:

That is what I understood.  They posted that they had owned a Foretravel. Who wants to hear that there rig drove like a jet liner?  It is different if I owned that rig and make comments, as I own the rig and have experience owning it.  Plus that poster did ask what he thought about it. Just the fact that he owned it.  Who wants to hear negative things about there rig?  Unless asked.  As to me it makes you feel that you are an idiot and made a poor buying decision.  There also seems to be a financial theme in his posts.  Not sure why as he owns 3 homes in a market that has nothing but upside. 

You should read the threads he has started.  Maybe he does not communicate his thoughts properly?  As sometimes you need to figure out what people are really asking about.  He still stumps me and several other members that have commented.

 

Yes, I've read his other posts. I prefer to think he just has a different perspective, and that's okay. I quite enjoy my 40,000 lb., 65 ft long behemoth, even if it resembles a jet liner... Which I've always wanted to pilot!! No-one will make me feel like an idiot.. Unless I truly deserve it. I'm VERY happy with my choices. Plus, there is NO WAY EVER I would spend $87,000 for a Class B. Good thing there are others willing to do that. I am off looking for more popcorn... Jay

Edited by Jaydrvr
Couldn't resist..

 

 
 
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Jaydrvr said:

Yes, I've read his other posts. I prefer to think he just has a different perspective, and that's okay. I quite enjoy my 40,000 lb., 65 ft long behemoth, even if it resembles a jet liner... Which I've always wanted to pilot!! No-one will make me feel like an idiot. I'm VERY happy with my choices. I AM off looking for more popcorn...

I have see nothing wrong with having a different perspective.  If we all had the same prospective life would be boring.  As we would all wear the same cloths, own the same things and opinions would not exist.  <filling up your popcorn>

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, we were quite happy at that point in time with our Chevy 3500 customized van (class B);  it cost $57M new.

 

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
RVers Online University

campgroundviews.com

RV Destinations

Find out more or sign up for Escapees RV'ers Bootcamp.

Advertise your product or service here.

The Rvers- Now Streaming

RVTravel.com Logo



×
×
  • Create New...