Car Dolly Towing

Bob Cochran

I apologize for not doing a search first as this probably been addressed before. Just got this class C motorcoach and as I will be towing 2 different toads thought the car dolly be best than tow 4 down. Besides who knows what will buy in future. 1st vehicle is a 2016 Jeep Wrangler 4 x 4 with automatic. Believe it is ok to tow with both transmission and transfer case in neutral. Is that correct? 2nd vehicle is a 2010 Smart car also automatic is it ok to tow it with car in neutral? Both vehicles will need the battery disabled; how did everyone accomplish this?

Thanks for any and all help.

2019 Thor Chateau 28E on a Ford E450 chassis. Maybe awhile but will get a new picture forgive one up there it is my old rig.

Personal opinion only, but tow dollys are a pain in the behind.Nothing like a large piece of immobile steel to keep walking around. The bearings and tires are a common failure point, vs. the bearings/tires on a driven vehicle. The wheel track difference between a Wrangler and a smart car will probably require mods to a dolly, too. The '16 Wrangler doesn't have a steering wheel lock, so battery disconnects aren't needed, as the key doesn't have to be left on. Transfer case in neutral, only. The smart also is easy to tow, but I'm not sure if the battery needs to be disconnected. 2 base-plate kits, a common tow bar, a couple light kits, and Viola!

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

I am not familiar with towing a Smart so can’t comment on that.  The Jeep, however has specific directions for setting it up to tow.  The directions are in the owner’s manual and are pretty detailed.  I had a 2015 Wrangler, but mine was a manual.  The transfer case was placed in neutral, but the transmission was left in 1st gear.  This was for flat towing.  I would expect towing on a dolly would be the same, but I don’t have the Jeep anymore to check the manual to confirm.  The automatic was supposed to be left in park, if I remember correctly.  The owner’s manual will tell you.  There is also a specific order in which to do it.

As for battery disconnects, if you are using remote lights powered by the dolly (not running through the Jeep’s tail lights), there is no need to disconnect the battery.  The key stays in the off position because there is no steering wheel lock to circumvent, so on a dolly with separate/independent lights it would be no different than parking it.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

You should first check with the manufacturer of the vehicle. Every manufacturer will have detailed instructions for the proper procedure to tow four down and let you know if possible.

2010 Smart ForTwo Owners Manual

See Page 187 for Specific Flat Towing Instructions and also see page 188 for warning against towing with the front axle raised.

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

Further checking the Jeep must be towed 4 down unless rear drive shaft is disconnected. DW does not like me getting under Jeep to do that neither do I actually. I have replaced front bumper with aftermarket for my wench I am now wondering if can use D ring tabs for a tow bar? 

It appears can tow Smart if back rear wheels on dolly. Of course use seat belt to lock steering wheel from moving very much.

Looking at above for both vehicles believe both can be put in park. Jeep transfer case in neutral and ignition key removed so no need disconnect battery.

2019 Thor Chateau 28E on a Ford E450 chassis. Maybe awhile but will get a new picture forgive one up there it is my old rig.

5 minutes ago, Bob Cochran said:

Further checking the Jeep must be towed 4 down unless rear drive shaft is disconnected. DW does not like me getting under Jeep to do that neither do I actually. I have replaced front bumper with aftermarket for my wench I am now wondering if can use D ring tabs for a tow bar? 

It appears can tow Smart if back rear wheels on dolly. Of course use seat belt to lock steering wheel from moving very much.

Looking at above for both vehicles believe both can be put in park. Jeep transfer case in neutral and ignition key removed so no need disconnect battery.

Smart can tow 4 wheels down.  No need for a dolly.  A Jeep Wrangler a=can be towed 4 down with the transfer case in neutral as well.  Neither need a battery disconnect with the proper brake and light wiring.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

My problem and dummy me I should have check before doing this. I purchase a really nice new car dolly rated capacity of 4800 lbs because thought would be towing the Jeep. Hence sizable $'s for the dolly. Reason I am trying to make this work. One would think I would know better but I guess age has not helped!

Thanks again.

33 minutes ago, Bob Cochran said:

My problem and dummy me I should have check before doing this. I purchase a really nice new car dolly rated capacity of 4800 lbs because thought would be towing the Jeep. Hence sizable $'s for the dolly. Reason I am trying to make this work. One would think I would know better but I guess age has not helped!

That money is already spent. Don't let it interfere with your future enjoyment of traveling. Sell the dolly and move on.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

9 hours ago, Bob Cochran said:

Further checking the Jeep must be towed 4 down unless rear drive shaft is disconnected. DW does not like me getting under Jeep to do that neither do I actually.

If you choose to do that, consider having a driveline disconnect installed as that can be operated from the driver's seat. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

16 hours ago, sandsys said:

That money is already spent. Don't let it interfere with your future enjoyment of traveling. Sell the dolly and move on.

Linda Sand

Lol I hear you I am just cheap.

16 hours ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

Smart can tow 4 wheels down.  No need for a dolly.  A Jeep Wrangler a=can be towed 4 down with the transfer case in neutral as well.  Neither need a battery disconnect with the proper brake and light wiring.

True thank you.

On 2/2/2019 at 7:43 AM, rm.w/aview said:

Selling the car & towing the Jeep four down is the less complicated & less cluttered way to go, along with being physically easier and procedurally less intensive than using a dolley.

Thank you and am considering just that as another option.

I used the D-ring mounts in my aftermarket bumper as attachment points for my tow bar when I was towing my Jeep 4 down.  It worked very well.  Blue Ox makes adapters for their tow bars to connect to the D-ring mounts.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Archived