Upper console door repair/replacement

Sparky242

Is there a way to repair an upper glove box door?  The middle door hinges are broken and I was looking at trying to replace them with  small metal hinges but I thought I would ask the experts before I try something that may not work.  I have not checked with the local Volvo dealer maybe new ones are still available.  Thanks Stan 

2000 Volvo VNL 610

2011 Cedar Creek 36RE

The pricing for the doors for the 2001 versions are breath taking. Junk Yard run. 

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

I stopped at 4 salvage yards before I found enough pieces to fix them all.  They need to be opened and closed carefully from the middle of the door. Shutting by the corner will break them.  Just explained that to the DW.  2 minutes later she put in a paper and pushed one closed by the corner and yep, it snapped.  I was madder than a wet tom cat!  I may never fix the $&#$% thing.

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

It's a shame that our heavy duty trucks have such chintzy plastic components. I think better engineering  and materials should be expected by consumers. Durability just does not seem to be a goal these days.....Mini rant over......                               Charlie

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

3 hours ago, sclord2002 said:

It's a shame that our heavy duty trucks have such chintzy plastic components. I think better engineering  and materials should be expected by consumers. Durability just does not seem to be a goal these days.....Mini rant over......                               Charlie

Unfortunately, most folks want "more".  More compartments, add ons, gadgets, etc.  If you want a plain, but well built truck, I would think KW and Pete offer that in their conventional models.  If you want storage, and conveniences, they use cheaper materials to cut costs, and lighten the tare weight.

I have one overhead door missing, and I find it convenient.  Great place for glasses, etc.  The one that gripes me is the flip-out cup holder in the middle of the dash.  I won't replace it again.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I fixed my hinges with JB Weld (like 3 times) but it works. Needs a little fab work depending how badly broken. Did you ever fix yours after I gave you the parts ROCKY. That was 4 years ago now so that should be coming to the top of your to go list any time now,😯

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

23 hours ago, HERO Maker said:

My to go list looks like the trail of a snail as it creeps along on a hot surface!  Just trying to get out of North Texas now.  Maybe in a week or 2.        You gave me parts!!!!

Yes sir I gave you parts 4 years ago. But they are probably put away so well you will never find them. Hope you are recovering well my friend. Hope to see you down south when you are able.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

Archived