Options for family of 6

Matt

Thanks for all of the comments, feedback and input!  It is pretty clear that a HDT is the way to go!  Ideally, I would like to find a HDT already converted or needing minimal adjustments and want to stay below $60k knowing that will likely come with at least 500k miles.  Wife mentioned the possibility of me using the area in the cab (set-up with table) for my day job which I hadnt considered before.  Might get a little claustrophobic but would give me some space to work away from the 4 kids as I am on conference calls quite a bit.  At least it could give me another option than using the bedroom.  But I digress.....other than Volvo, any other brands that are a good bet?  Any brands that should be avoided?  Thoughts on Sport chassis?  @Moresmoke That Schwalbe is a sweet set-up but a little rich for my blood.

You should have no problem finding one with that budget. I will pass on the advice I got when I started shopping around. I have been involved in the trucking industry all my life in one way or the other. I talked to some friends that are mechanics and truck dealers.  I talked to a bunch of other drivers about their newer trucks.  Some people here may disagree with this but here it is. For the least amount of problems stay 07 or older with a old school manual transmission. If you are dead set on automatic get one with an Allison but be prepared to pay a premium because they don't last long on the market if you can even find one.

I literally looked at hundreds of trucks.  I hit the lots and auctions. Don't get in a hurry. The right truck will find you before you find it. I did all this shopping then one day on Facebook this Freightliner popped up for sale. 15 minutes from my house.  I went to look at it and bought it.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

• 3 weeks later...

Revise the bunk in the back to 2 seats, add more seating inside the front of the Toter box. The possibilities are endless. RacingJunk

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

10 hours ago, Darryl&Rita said:

More RacingJunk. Singled Pete, already seats 6.

That is nice.  Just needs a disco ball in the back😊

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

• 5 months later...

Is it safe for young children to ride in a Volvo 860 (at the workstation) since there are no seatbelts?  i have heard conflicting views so I wanted to see what other people do when they want to take their grandchildren on a trip with them.

I say very unsafe for them and the operator.  I would venture a guess to say it is not legal anywhere.  I don't care what the pick-up/HDT is, IMHO, no!

Welcome to the forum Donette!

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

4 hours ago, Moresmoke said:

the law requires all people under 18 to have a seatbelt.

In the Great state of ND, ALL people, regardless of age, even us old pharts, are required by law to use seatbelts.  They can/do stop you and give you an invite to see the judge or pay the fine, your choice.

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

4 hours ago, Moresmoke said:

, but the law requires all people under 18 to have a seatbelt.

Is this true for motorhomes too?  Perhaps we're splitting hairs...........  And those who know me, know I have none to spare.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

41 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

Is this true for motorhomes too?  Perhaps we're splitting hairs...........  And those who know me, know I have none to spare.

Is a motorhome classified as a motor vehicle?  I've wondered that too, alot of Class As we've looked at over the years had couches with seat-belts.  Maybe they fall into the same category as a bus?  I drove school a bus for a while, I was the only one with a seat-belt.  Always believed that needed changed but that's just my opinion which of coarse has never counted... LOL

Now that I mentioned school buses, yes I understand the seatbacks are high to protect the kiddies from flying forward.  I had an idiot driver cut over  in front of me hard and very close to cross over to go onto an hiway onramp.  So close the car vanished in front of my hood.  I slammed the brakes so I would not hit them, would have hit if I had not hit the brakes.  The kiddies all flew forward into the back of the front seat, some of them getting hurt.  That is why I am an advocate for mandatory seatbelts in buses.  Rant over.

2 hours ago, NDBirdman said:

In the Great state of ND, ALL people, regardless of age, even us old pharts, are required by law to use seatbelts.  They can/do stop you and give you an invite to see the judge or pay the fine, your choice.

No argument there. The question posed was about the grandkids so that is why I answered in relation to minors. Some states do not require adults in the back seat to be belted.

Rick, as most new motor homes have seat belts, I would have to believe they are required. I would take that to mean any newly converted motor home would fall under that requirement.

As far as buses/motor coaches are concerned, that is a whole different ball game.

In my case Momma decreed that all seats would be forward facing and have appropriate seat belts. So it doesn’t matter what the officer/judge thinks. I have to live with HER.😁

I have a jackknife couch that has four seat belts. Had three car seats and an adult in there one time. , but I also have about another foot on the side of the seat that is unused space.

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

Archived