Intercom

Jim Corey

I want a telephone operators headset style intercom so wife and I can easily converse over engine and road noise. There are some made for motorcycles, but those are designed to mount in helmets. Hard wiring is fine. I have no problem finding the headsets at a reasonable price. Just can’t find the electronics to connect them.

Jim  Corey

2006 Monaco Monarch 30 pdd

'12 Honda CRV toad

When we were actively model railroading we had Maxxon push to talk headsets that plugged into belt mounted units. Googling Maxxon radios indicates they still advertise an ear piece speaker and lapel mic. 

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Depending on how much you want to spend, rugged radios makes an intercom system that will do what you are asking.  It is built for racing and off roading, but one could easily be mounted in an RV.  

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

5 hours ago, Chad Heiser said:

Depending on how much you want to spend, rugged radios makes an intercom system that will do what you are asking.  It is built for racing and off roading, but one could easily be mounted in an RV.  

Golly. For those prices I’ll just talk to myself!🙂

Jim  Corey

'12 Honda CRV toad

Jim, are you looking for something to wear in your MH while you are driving, or are you looking for something to help while parking? If the former, I wonder whether you have a different problem. We have a 40' DP and are able to converse at normal tones very easily while driving. On the other hand, sometimes Jo Ann has to move away from the coach while I'm backing into a camp site because of the engine noise. We use a pair of small hand-held radios for such situations. Mine is usually just for listening, but sometimes I have to ask or answer a question or tell her to check on something. Most of the time she is the one doing the talking, with an almost constant running commentary on what is around that I may not be able to see or how close I'm getting to the edge of the pavement or the back of the campsite.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

3 hours ago, kb0zke said:

We have a 40' DP and are able to n

With your DP the engine and noise is 40 feet behind you. My class A has a gas engine in front and we sit right over it along with the engine noise. That's why we'd like a  intercom to communicate.

Jim  Corey

'12 Honda CRV toad

31 minutes ago, Jim Corey said:

With your DP the engine and noise is 40 feet behind you. My class A has a gas engine in front and we sit right over it along with the engine noise. That's why we'd like a  intercom to communicate.

Hmm , we have a front engine gasser . Sure , there's some motor noise , but , nothing that would hinder talking .

Maybe you should look into sound deading material to line the motor compartment . 

Goes around , comes around .

22 minutes ago, Pat & Pete said:

Maybe you should look into sound deading material to line the motor compartment . 

I did that and also the floor under both of our feet to improve both heat and sound insulation. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I have had Scala motorcycle headsets in the past, if you get the set for half helmets, they can use earbuds that plug in and you could easily figure out a way to clip the mic to a shirt or headrest or something.  I have taken phone calls at 75mph on my bike and people didn't even realize I was riding with it.

1 hour ago, Waterjosh said:

I have taken phone calls at 75mph on my bike and people didn't even realize I was riding with it.

Please, don't ride anywhere near me. Research has shown that the brain cells used to talk on the phone are the same cells used to drive a car. If someone calls me while they are driving, I tell them to call back when they are parked and I hang up. I have no desire to participate in anyone else's wreck.

Linda Sand

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

That particular call was about my offer being accepted on a house, and now that I have a 1 year old I have sold my bike, it's too easy to get wiped out by an idiot.  I think there is a definitive difference between a hands free device and fumbling with a phone tho.  I don't see much difference between talking that way or with a passenger

6 hours ago, sandsys said:

If someone calls me while they are driving, I tell them to call back when they are parked and I hang up.

I hand the phone to Pam if she is with me, just silence it if driving alone. As one who used to be on the corporate safety committee for a national company's service group, I am very familiar with the actual data about accidents while using a cell phone when driving. That subject would hijack the thread so won't say more. 

4 hours ago, Waterjosh said:

That particular call was about my offer being accepted on a house, and now that I have a 1 year old I have sold my bike, it's too easy to get wiped out by an idiot.  I think there is a definitive difference between a hands free device and fumbling with a phone tho.  I don't see much difference between talking that way or with a passenger

I'm sure you will have another bike someday.  I have ridden for 46 years but felt I had to get off while my kids were little.  When you do decide to buy another bike one of these upcoming spring days when everyone is out riding, just change your riding mentality.  I completely changed how I rode.  I became a 100% defensive driver.  You are correct when you say talking on a phone or talking to a passenger isn't much different as far as distracting you.  The problem is when riding you have so much more to worry about and a simple close call in a car could be a fatal crash in on your motorcycle.  Just something to think about from an old man finishing out his riding days.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

On 8/30/2018 at 12:23 AM, Jim Corey said:

Just can’t find the electronics to connect them.

There are 2 types, wired and wireless.  Some are designed to be installed in a helmet with speakers while others have ear buds.  You would need a "boom" mic for your usage, so look for the type for an open face helmet or half helmet.  There might be a model for helmetless, but I have never seen one.  Never looked for one, either.

The electronics to connect wireless are simply smartphones with Bluetooth.  That's it.  Scalia, and Sena are 2 popular brands with several models. 

Many bikes with wired systems have the electronics integral to the bike, so they are not able to be used independently.

Here is an article about wired systems that are not incorporated into the bike's ausio system.  https://lifewelove.com/en/motorcycle-intercoms-for-two/

You might want to contact this guy http://edsets.com/  to see if he can build something for you.  He's big enough to have options but small enough to listen to your needs, unlike another bike audio system company.

2 minutes ago, rm.w/aview said:

X2 on riding style and awareness changing with age. When I see the 20 something riding a certain way I'm reminded of 40 years ago and my antics, all of which are long gone. I wish them well and hope they'll be able to share info with the youth of the future. At 20 I wore boots, jeans, and a t-shirt (or something weather related). Then became an ATGATT rider and actually enjoyed the ride much more. Being a rider is what had me share the Revzilla site earlier, hands down the best for parts & accessories & very quick shipping. 

Rick, I still probably don't wear enough protective gear, although I do wear my helmet 90% of the time.  I guess I just handled one too many fatal motorcycle accidents that were totally preventable and it woke me up.  

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

19 minutes ago, FL-JOE said:

I guess I just handled one too many fatal motorcycle accidents that were totally preventable and it woke me up.

But you have not done enough if you ever ride with no helmet. My nephew would be alive today if he had been wearing a helmet one morning on his way to work over city streets. Since he didn't have his helmet on he got to be an organ donor. 

7 hours ago, sandsys said:

Please, don't ride anywhere near me. Research has shown that the brain cells used to talk on the phone are the same cells used to drive a car. If someone calls me while they are driving, I tell them to call back when they are parked and I hang up. I have no desire to participate in anyone else's wreck.

Linda Sand

I hear things like this and I have to ask, can you provide a link to the research please? I have hands free in my truck so how is this any different than carrying on a conversation with a passenger in the vehicle while you are driving?

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

You are generally correct.  I may jump on and ride a couple blocks to the local gas station once and awhile, or I may ride over to my buddy house at the edge of town when it is over 100 degrees without a helmet.  But those are rare occasions.  My first fatal motorcycle accident I handled involved a young college student.  He had a full face helmet on and was walking around when I arrived.  A couple scratches and he said he felt fine.  I had him sit on the curb as I checked on the car's occupants.  When I went back to him he was laying down and dead.  

Sorry you lost your nephew that way Kirk.  Even though I ride I constantly worry about my son's and nephew's riding.  No matter what you wear or how you ride it is still risky behavior I guess.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

1 minute ago, Chalkie said:

I hear things like this and I have to ask, can you provide a link to the research please? I have hands free in my truck so how is this any different than carrying on a conversation with a passenger in the vehicle while you are driving?

I think it depends on the person and the conversation.  Some folks can multitask a little better than others, and some conversations are maybe more intense that others.  I suspect a Mom with five screaming kids in her mini van is just as distracted as the 18 year old "dude" talking on his phone about a new video game that just came out.  But in the past 20 years all those people that were driving alone with no distractions inside are now blabbing on the phone with all of those "important" conversations that can't wait.  

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

5 minutes ago, FL-JOE said:

I think it depends on the person and the conversation.

While there is truth in that, age is also a significant factor. As we age our reflexes slow and our ability to multitask decreases. Regardless of how good a driver you may be, none of us are quite as able at 60 as we were at 30. Since I passed my 70th I have really become aware of the slippage. I believe that we need to be very aware of our abilities and try to judge objectively. If you are experiencing more "near miss" situations it may not be from other drivers getting worse. 

12 hours ago, Waterjosh said:

I don't see much difference between talking that way or with a passenger

A passenger can see when something is happening during which they should be quiet. Other than that, they are both somewhat distracting behaviors. I have been known to ask passengers not to talk as I get caught up in what they are saying so pay less attention to our surroundings. I used to drive a group of young teenagers and they quickly learned that if they got rowdy I would simply pull over to the curb and wait for them to settle down. That's also why I don't play the radio when driving--singing and seat dancing don't lead to good driving behavior for me. Distracted driving is not good whatever the reason for it is.

Linda

Geez. All I want to do is be able to make a simple comment about what’s going on as we drive. Like, “did you see those hills,” or “that guy couldn’t merge on a bet,” or so forth. I’m following some of the suggestions. 

Jim  Corey

'12 Honda CRV toad

8 hours ago, Jim Corey said:

All I want to do is be able to make a simple comment about what’s going on as we drive.

If I didn't make a few comments and remarks from time to time, Pam would think I as shunning her and probably get angry! Not sure how this morphed into cell phone use......... 🙄

My wife and I have no difficulty conversing in a normal voice while traveling in our front engine gasser, even with the sat radio playing. I suggest looking into the various sound deadeners as previously suggested. They do work...

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Archived