Smart car running ruff after buying gas

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

My Smarty is running ruff after topping off the tank. That was about 1/4 of a tank that I put in. It happen about 2 minutes after pulling out of the gas station. The check engine light also came on. My thought is that I got some bad fuel. I have put some gas line antifreeze in the tank. The bottle says it helps to remove water. The car is still running ruff. It also wants to stall out at times. You know, the worst possible time. I thought about draining the tank. I have tried to put a hose down the tank with no luck. Anybody have any ideas on what to do next ? Right now I am at a loss.

Looking for some ideas,
Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Hi Everyone,

I learn my lesson about putting in 87 octane a few years ago. I only put in 91 or 93 octane. I have also put in an octane booster with no help. At times it goes down the road just fine. How do I drain the tank ? It won't let me put a hose in the tank so I can pump out the gas. I get so far down, then no more. There must be a block on the top of the tank. 

Al

Sorry Al.  All I can recommend is to go a smart dealer, look up parts for tank and see if there is a drain.  (I doubt it).   My  DW even said, as I read the problem, "He needs to use higher octane gas"!

Glenn, not sure where you read that the lower octane is fine?!

Good luck Al.  Hopefully the smart dealer can help you.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

We have owned our 2011 Smart for 5 years and have always ran regular.  Did not notice until about a year ago that there is a tag near the fill port that says something like 93 octane or better. 

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

Is the gas cap sealing?     A bad cap will set a CEL, as far as poor running, did the pump run slow when you filled up?

I am a Mercedes guy with Xentry lap top but I have no knowledge of Smart Cars, generally the condition you describe could be a fuel pump or pressure transducer on a Mercedes.     Coil pack and plugs would be a more constant miss, not sure the electronics on a Smart are Motronic?   

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

Al’s car is a 450 gas so he is not going to get any help at the dealer.  Al from what I read it looks like yours should have a fuel filter behind the right rear wheel liner.  The instructions say offside which is the side away from the curb in Britain and they drive on the other side of the road.  Link to evilution site https://www.evilution.co.uk/298

I would try changing the filter first and if that doesn’t work maybe you can disconnect the filter and use the cars electric pump to pump some fuel into a gas can.  If it is water it will be at the bottom of the tank so you shouldn’t have to pump much out.

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

16 hours ago, GlennWest said:

All I put in mine is regular. Runs fine on it

Glenn it will run fine but the mileage will be lower.

Al it sounds like water OR diesel in the gas to me. Worst comes to worst you may have to pull a line and let the fuel pump do the pump out for you.

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

6 hours ago, Nigel said:

Al’s car is a 450 gas so he is not going to get any help at the dealer.  Al from what I read it looks like yours should have a fuel filter behind the right rear wheel liner.  The instructions say offside which is the side away from the curb in Britain and they drive on the other side of the road.  Link to evilution site https://www.evilution.co.uk/298

I would try changing the filter first and if that doesn’t work maybe you can disconnect the filter and use the cars electric pump to pump some fuel into a gas can.  If it is water it will be at the bottom of the tank so you shouldn’t have to pump much out.

Nigel

Hi Nigel,

Thank you for your help. I was thinking the same thing about the fuel filter. I was going to do a Google search today to find the location of the filter but it looks like you have done the work for me. Thank You for the info. Once I found the filter I was going to disconnect it and put a hose on the line coming from the pump and try to use the key to start the pump. I hope I don't have to remove the back of the car to get to the filter.

Wish me luck,
Al

15 minutes ago, Brad & Jacolyn said:

Glenn it will run fine but the mileage will be lower.

Al it sounds like water OR diesel in the gas to me. Worst comes to worst you may have to pull a line and let the fuel pump do the pump out for you.

Actually I can tell no difference. Put a lot of miles on mine. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

48 minutes ago, Brad NSW said:

Hope you didn't fill up in Chesapeake area at a COSTCO or Sams Club...seems they mixed diesel with their gas.  See attached:

News article

That would ruin your day!

That'll get you a new tank of gas, a new fuel filter, and maybe new plugs. Gasoline in the diesel tank hurts way more. 

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

On 7/15/2018 at 8:35 AM, GlennWest said:

Actually I can tell no difference. Put a lot of miles on mine. 

When I tried running regular gas my mileage dropped at least 8 - 10 MPG. Glad you have better luck.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

Hi Everyone,

I need to do a better job in looking for the fuel filter. Right now, no luck. I wonder if I should remove the right rear wheel. I should have looked at the link better that Nigel provided. It states to remove the rear wheel and the inner fender. Might be time for new glasses. lol.

Still looking,
Al

First I would have done if the CEL dash light is on; Autozone and O'Riellys parts stores will hook up a scanner for free and give a printout of what may be the problem! I'd call the dealer about the location of the fuel filter! Does sound like water as diesel fuel usually will make the car spark knock and run after you shut the engine off.

:) Living Life One Day At A Time!

On 7/17/2018 at 5:13 AM, GlennWest said:

Wow, that's huge difference. 

I filledine up with premium yesterday. Had it very low too. Light was on. So far 50 miles and same fuel mileage going by display. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Archived