Off Topic: Cooling fan in the smart car

Big5er

Dang thing started making all kinds of noise the other day. It "sounded" like the cooling fan broke a blade or something similar. Of course you can't even see the darn thing in there. I read a bit and watched some you tube videos. The whole front end has to come off the car, followed by the a/c condenser and the radiator. 

That's way to complicated for me so I loaded it up on the Volvo and hauled it to Mercedes. I've only got 12k miles on the darn thing.  Well, thank goodness for that extended warranty. Guess what a fan costs, installed? $1100!!!! Holy Sh.....stuff

Any of you DIY guru types got any ideas for the next time? 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Phil

I was probably watching the same YouTube videos the other day.  My 2006 was making a racket two years ago and my “smart whisperer” looked at it and said it was a job we weren’t doing that day.  He had some spray lube he aimed in that general direction and the fan has been quiet since.  I am thinking it is about time I changed it.  I suggest you post on the smart car of America forum and see if there is an enthusiast in your area that will do your service.  

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

'06 is a different animal, even worse if it's diesel. Having said that, I've seen leaves cause the noise you're describing. 

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Phil,

You were lucky.  We weren't so lucky and were out of warranty.  I was told by Mercedes these fans are a common failure item and apparently a money maker for the shop.

I installed one of these fans in front of the radiator/condenser.  Still had to take off fenders and grill but it only took a couple hours complete.  Cut wires from old fan and wired to new.  Only real issue is getting polarity correct and I got it wrong on first try. Abandoned the old fan in place. Never had a cooling problem and that included a lot of Florida driving.

IMG_3217a.jpg.c718bc170600aa5ce52e515511d83cb7.jpg

Jim & Wilma

2006 Travel Supreme 36RLQSO

2009 Volvo VNL730, D13, I-shift, ET, Herrin Hauler bed, "Ruby"

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

Trust me Darryl, something was definitely broken. It wasn't a leaf or anything else stuck in there.

Jim, that is probably the way to go if you are out of warranty. I will have to keep that in mind if it ever happens again.  I had almost 90k miles on the '09 with no real issues. I am kind of surprised about this one since I have so few miles on it but what can you say? Pooh happens. I am just real grateful I was still under the extended warranty. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

13 hours ago, Big5er said:

Dang thing started making all kinds of noise the other day. It "sounded" like the cooling fan broke a blade or something similar. Of course you can't even see the darn thing in there. I read a bit and watched some you tube videos. The whole front end has to come off the car, followed by the a/c condenser and the radiator. 

That's way to complicated for me so I loaded it up on the Volvo and hauled it to Mercedes. I've only got 12k miles on the darn thing.  Well, thank goodness for that extended warranty. Guess what a fan costs, installed? $1100!!!! Holy Sh.....stuff

Any of you DIY guru types got any ideas for the next time? 

Don't know a lot about smart cars but is it true with out a fan you have no propulsion? You know I had to ask.

Hi Phil,

I had that down a few years ago. You may remember the picture of the Mercedes they gave me as a loaner and all the fun people had solving how to put it on the Volvo

When I was going through the smart forums some people were installing a pusher fan on the other side of the radiator.

That is about the right price. I tell everyone that the $300 part was $400 in from the front and then $400 to put the stuff back on. I sure was not attempting it. If the inside fan starts making noise I know how to get to that.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

16 hours ago, Jim & Wilma said:

Phil,

You were lucky.  We weren't so lucky and were out of warranty.  I was told by Mercedes these fans are a common failure item and apparently a money maker for the shop.

I installed one of these fans in front of the radiator/condenser.  Still had to take off fenders and grill but it only took a couple hours complete.  Cut wires from old fan and wired to new.  Only real issue is getting polarity correct and I got it wrong on first try. Abandoned the old fan in place. Never had a cooling problem and that included a lot of Florida driving.

Jim,

Want to bookmark this fan but it says won’t fit my 2013 smart but see yours is 2013 also, so assume no issues?

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Carl,

This fan fits in the space in front of the radiator, hidden behind the grill and pushes the air as Brad noted.  Probably any number of fans would work and thought this one was largest size that would confidently fit and had decent airflow specs. The fan was not specifically made or marketed for smart use.  The original fan sits behind the radiator/condenser which is a superior location but much more challenging to get to and not something I wanted to tackle or pay for.  

To install, had to make a couple small brackets out of some scrap metal. My cost was just under $100 and couple hours of work.  However, like most projects I undertake, I probably spent at least twice as much time thinking about it. Fortunately my labor rate is pretty low. 

IMG_3217a.jpg.c718bc170600aa5ce52e515511d83cb7.jpg

Jim & Wilma

2006 Travel Supreme 36RLQSO

2009 Volvo VNL730, D13, I-shift, ET, Herrin Hauler bed, "Ruby"

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

Thanks Jim.  Gonna keep this in mind if mine goes out.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Archived