Got a favorite photograph?

Kirk W

I apply to quite a few galleries and juried shows.  In this case I will pass.  I generally like to have my work juried by someone other than the staff of an RV club.  If the club wants to run a serious photo contest, I would recommend they contact a knowledgeable individual who is involved with art and photography.

12 hours ago, JimK said:

I generally like to have my work juried by someone other than the staff of an RV club

You obviously do not consider yourself to be an amateur hobby photographer. This was never intended to be for professionals but is mostly for fun. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I am not a professional but I am serious about trying to learn how to express myself and to communicate through photography and now through painting.  I try to learn from artists of the past and from those who have devoted their lives to the visual arts.  Getting a ribbon awarded by a travel club member seems well short of that.  The net result will likely be a handful of people who get ribbons and a whole lot more who are disappointed.

Again, if the club wants to do something of significance with this project, I would recommend they start by finding some experienced jurors. 

Additional explanation:  There are millions of people in the US who spend time learning at least the basics of photography and who try to achieve good results.  There are tens of thousands of photographers who belong to camera clubs, who are trained artists or who have taken courses and studied photography.  It seems to me that having trained jurors is just a basic sign of respect for the work and effort people put into their craft.  It is not difficult or at all expensive to do this.

I have no roadblocks to this.  I just think it should be handled better.  The club expects participants to submit an electronic file and also mail in an11x14 mounted print.  In addition to the photography involved that makes for some considerable amount of effort and expense when multiplied by the number of participants.  The final results are ribbons awarded by the club staff.

Anyone who thinks that makes sense should go ahead and participate.  I wish you good luck in being selected.

It is a simple little photo competition at an RV rally. Participate, don't participate, it is totally voluntary!  

We get it. You consider yourself a "serious" artist who feels that a ribbon from a travel club is beneath you. So it's not for you. But some folks will enter and enjoy it...

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

My only comment is are you giving up your rights to your photo?  Will they be able to use your image for their marketing purposes without you receiving any compensation?

Only say that because it is a common question on pro and amateur photo forums.  And a major concern since many of these guys do sell images as a business.  

Back on the road again in a 2011 Roadtrek 210P

2011 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Lexus GX470, 2018 Ranger XP1000, 2013 RZR 570LE
http://finallynewellin.blogspot.com/

458863254_cabinavatarcopy.jpg.7751792e372f5959d079d77730f9290d.jpg

1 hour ago, folivier said:

Will they be able to use your image for their marketing purposes without you receiving any compensation?

You should probably ask that question before you enter. It does say that the winning photos will be published in the magazine but if it is the same as for articles that people are paid for publishing rights, they only get them for 1 publication after which all rights return to the author. I'd suspect that to be true for entered pictures as well, but don't know for sure. In your case, I would definitely check. 

1 hour ago, mptjelgin said:

We get it. You consider yourself a "serious" artist who feels that a ribbon from a travel club is beneath you. ....

No, you don't seem to get it at all.  Escapees is in fact a large organization.  I am sure there are a very large number of accomplished photographers who are way more serious about their art than I am.  The last gallery competition I applied to was from a small local gallery which received no more than about 100 entries.  The media release policy was clear and very limited.  The competition was juried by a nationally well know and published art critic.  No one was required to submit mounted prints until after announcement of the juried results. 

If you do quilt work and enter a competition, I think you would expect your work to be judged by an accomplished quilter. If you carve decoys, you would want your work judged by someone familiar with that hobby.  Why is photography given no respect?

20 minutes ago, JimK said:

No, you don't seem to get it at all. 

Escapees contests are intended for hobbyists and are intended to be fun, whether photographs, wood carvings, or quilts. Perhaps you should attend Escapade and see what the event is really like? I'd be happy to show you around to get started. 

I think there are more ways to appreciate art than just technical correctness.  I am not a photographer, but I like some photographs more than others.  Maybe it is the story it tells or it reminds me of a past experience.  To suggest art can only be judged by trained people just doesn't seem right.  I am not up on the latest gadgets but I still bought a phone because I liked it.  I am not an expert on women but when my dear wife agreed to marry me I jumped at the chance.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

29 minutes ago, Randyretired said:

I think there are more ways to appreciate art than just technical correctness.  I am not a photographer, but I like some photographs more than others.  Maybe it is the story it tells or it reminds me of a past experience.  To suggest art can only be judged by trained people just doesn't seem right.  I am not up on the latest gadgets but I still bought a phone because I liked it.  I am not an expert on women but when my dear wife agreed to marry me I jumped at the chance.

Exactly.  Those who are untrained are likely to look at a cellphone picture of a sunset and say WOW.  An artist is more likely to look at the artistic vision, goals and intent.  They are likely to understand the craft involved.

It would be the same issue if I was trying to judge a decoy carving contest.  I could easily pick one with a gaudy paint job on a pre-molded Styrofoam base.  Another carver would see the workmanship, the skill, the level of realism and accuracy involved.  It only makes sense for someone who understands decoy carving to jury a contest.  Other contests, including a photography contest, would deserve the same basic level of consideration in judging. 

1 hour ago, JimK said:

Exactly.  Those who are untrained are likely to look at a cellphone picture of a sunset and say WOW.  An artist is more likely to look at the artistic vision, goals and intent.  They are likely to understand the craft involved.

It would be the same issue if I was trying to judge a decoy carving contest.  I could easily pick one with a gaudy paint job on a pre-molded Styrofoam base.  Another carver would see the workmanship, the skill, the level of realism and accuracy involved.  It only makes sense for someone who understands decoy carving to jury a contest.  Other contests, including a photography contest, would deserve the same basic level of consideration in judging. 

I guess I didn't Express myself clearly enough.  It seems that the technical expertise needed to produce a product is just that and for the majority of us we don't  care.  We care about the end product.  When I go to a restaurant I don't judge the food by the type of stove or utensils used.  I may be going out on a limb here but since this is an RV club the winning picture will have an RV theme.  The method used to obtain that pic (even a cell phone) will not carry the day.  And I agree with that.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

18 minutes ago, Randyretired said:

I guess I didn't Express myself clearly enough.  It seems that the technical expertise needed to produce a product is just that and for the majority of us we don't  care.  We care about the end product.  When I go to a restaurant I don't judge the food by the type of stove or utensils used.  I may be going out on a limb here but since this is an RV club the winning picture will have an RV theme.  The method used to obtain that pic (even a cell phone) will not carry the day.  And I agree with that.

No, I understood what you meant, but my experience is different.  Artists tend to be concerned about expression, communication, intent.  The technical aspects of photography tend to be more important to beginners who gravitate to photography because they like gear and technology.  Painting is pretty much the same.  Someone new to painting is likely to concentrate on the skills needed.  An artist has mastered the skills or doesn't care and has moved beyond to different goals and intents.  A new musician tries to play the instrument.  Someone experienced is concerned about the expression.

No good deed goes unpunished.........bring on the pictures, I'll enjoy them.

2019 Airstream Flying Cloud 27FB
2011 Ford F350 CC SRW

"Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for."       Will Rogers        

Then there are true hobbyists who are also good photographers. Dave took first place in a hobby's regional convention black & white photo contest when he realized no one had entered that category so he went home and got a photo of his. Then, because it was a vertical format, they published it on the front cover of the region's next magazine issue. The photo was one he had taken for his final project of a college photography class that just happened to fit the hobby's theme; he got an A on that final. And that photo, along with a couple others from that project, hangs on our living room wall today. Some people really can have it all. :)

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Archived