Heated Water Hose

SuiteSuccess

Winters over (hopefully) but need to buy a heated water hose for next year. I know Camco, Pirit make some. If you have used one your recommendation or did you make your own with heat tape?  25’ or 50’?

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

If you NEED a heated water hose you are too far north.  Carl, when we were in Crossville this year we just put some water in the tank and disconnected the hose overnight when the big freeze hit.  Do you go out over the winter?  Thanks again for the  wonderful rally and the all inclusive weather.

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

6 minutes ago, Nigel said:

If you NEED a heated water hose you are too far north.  Carl, when we were in Crossville this year we just put some water in the tank and disconnected the hose overnight when the big freeze hit.  Do you go out over the winter?  Thanks again for the  wonderful rally and the all inclusive weather.

Nigel

Nigel,

Others here did the same as you but we are planning on being in some colder climates next year and would really like to have one available if longer period of freezing weather. Looked at the “nofreezehose” but it’s very expensive.  The Camco Steve lent me worked well but the covering seemed cheap. 

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Going south can be "iffy".  We ducked into a campground on I-10 just west of Lafayette, LA on about Jan.16 this winter.  Next two mornings the temp was 17f. Fortunately, we'd filled the fresh tank the day before.

I know, we didn't go far enough south.  But they closed the interstate due to ice.  Unfortunate timing.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

If you decide to build your own, spring for self regulating heat tape. It can cross over itself, or run along side. It's more expensive,  but lasts a lot longer.

Edit to add: It's available in bulk length, so every install is a custom job.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

I did my own heated hose.  Heat tape and insulation.  It worked until we got to North Dakota.  With having 2 filters and a softener inline, we didn't chance it at 3 degrees, and 2 straight weeks below freezing.  The No Freeze hose, https://nofreezewaterhose.com/blogs/news/why-having-a-no-freeze-rv-hose-is-so-essential while expensive works great if you are in freezing temps for a prolonged time.  

For a short overnite or maybe a 2-3 day event, the Camco or Pirit works fine.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Carl    I keep a heat tape in the 5er and I wrapped the hose while in Crossville. Took 30 min. I don't think it really got cold enough to freeze but I think it was good enough had it really gotten a little colder. I agree that if it gets cold enough to freeze it's time to head south. My heat tape is 25' and that seems to work . Have used it several times. It has a light indicator on it so I at least know it is getting power. I try not to be where it's cold so the few times I get caught it has worked fine. But if I planned on being in cold weather for a long (3 days or more with a couple of CG's) time I would find something better. Thanks again for a great ECR!   Pat

The Old Sailor

Thanks everyone for the discussion. 

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

I have always made my own. Potable water hose the length I need it, And a 2 wire heat tape just a bit longer than that. I put 1 wrap on the faucet and use electrical tape to hold the heat tape to the hose. Making sure the thermostat is just outside of the wet bay but having a bit of heat tape going inside. Then use the split foam pipe insulation to wrap it all. Got me thru an Alaskan winter.

2016 Road Warrior 420

2001 Volvo VNL 660

Alaska Based.

3 hours ago, Imurphy907 said:

I have always made my own. Potable water hose the length I need it, And a 2 wire heat tape just a bit longer than that. I put 1 wrap on the faucet and use electrical tape to hold the heat tape to the hose. Making sure the thermostat is just outside of the wet bay but having a bit of heat tape going inside. Then use the split foam pipe insulation to wrap it all. Got me thru an Alaskan winter.

Thanks that’s what I was thinking. 

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

16 hours ago, Imurphy907 said:

I can't believe I forgot the biggest benefit of self-regulating tape. No need for thermostats. On top of that, they're available in a wide range of wattages, from 5w/ft to 15w/ft are fairly common locally, with higher or lower available on order. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication

Please e-mail us here.

10 hours ago, Darryl&Rita said:

I can't believe I forgot the biggest benefit of self-regulating tape. No need for thermostats. On top of that, they're available in a wide range of wattages, from 5w/ft to 15w/ft are fairly common locally, with higher or lower available on order. 

Darryl,

What wattage did you use?  I see it can be bought from 3watts/foot up to 12 watts/foot.  Also do you just wire into a junction box on the end or a controller?  My camping might get down to low 20’s to teens but don’t think I will be in a climate down to zero.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Temp dependent, along with the insulation on top. A typical line used in northern Alberta, where -40 isn't unusual, is 8-10 watts. This is wrapped with a layer of Reflectix. The tape is wrapped in a spiral, as close as 6" between wraps. If it freezes, the insulation can be peeled back, and another heat tape line added. A huge value of self-regulating tape is it's robustness. If regular tape is overlapped, it'll burn out where they touch. Self-regulating will automatically limit it's heat at that location, & avoid burning out.

Connection kits are available, they add a connection box where a piece of extension cord can connect. The Red neck way involves a male cord end installed directly to the heat tape. 

Please e-mail us here.

1 hour ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Temp dependent, along with the insulation on top. A typical line used in northern Alberta, where -40 isn't unusual, is 8-10 watts. This is wrapped with a layer of Reflectix. The tape is wrapped in a spiral, as close as 6" between wraps. If it freezes, the insulation can be peeled back, and another heat tape line added. A huge value of self-regulating tape is it's robustness. If regular tape is overlapped, it'll burn out where they touch. Self-regulating will automatically limit it's heat at that location, & avoid burning out.

Connection kits are available, they add a connection box where a piece of extension cord can connect. The Red neck way involves a male cord end installed directly to the heat tape. 

Thanks Darryl.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Archived